3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/)
-   -   PCOS Monthly Chat Thread For November 2004 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/48656-pcos-monthly-chat-thread-november-2004-a.html)

VermontChick 11-06-2004 03:51 PM

Mouse:
Doctors are arrogant, they go to college and medical school, and like many pompous students, develop naive and pretentious world views (including views on health and medicine)...only to graduate and have them come crashing down on them :D

Jennifer 3FC 11-06-2004 08:05 PM

Hello Ladies, I'm swooping to let you know that right now we are asking people to not talk about the election. We've had some heated arguments over the last few months, so we just banned the subject until it's all over. You'd be surprised how bitter the conversations can be! So thanks in advance. ;)

Mouse, I'm sorry that they're turning you all down. :(

Anonymouse 11-07-2004 12:15 AM

Oops! Sorry, Jennifer! I saw the comment about no political views in the avatars, but missed the other!

And yea, some doctors are really arrogant and shouldn't be practicing medicine. Given who I work for, and their reputation, I shouldn't be surprised. But I am, continually. I just refuse to be treated there at all at this point. I actually work for TWO different hospital systems in my area, because the gym I work for is run by Lifebridge Health & Fitness as well, which runs two hospitals in the area. Somehow, though, my doctors that have privileges there and/or are affiliated with the hospital seem much more human! I'm not sure if its the hospital atmosphere, or what, but even though the one set of surgeons turned me down, he wasn't RUDE about it. Whereas the plastic surgeons who were affiliated in any way with the group I work for were just flat-out rude. The last one I saw tried to scare me, which I didn't appreciate, and didn't understand the endocrine disorder, but she wasn't rude or nasty. I wouldn't choose to go back to her, but its more because she tried to scare me and not because she was impolite.
We'll see what this surgeon I see this coming Friday says about the gallbladder surgery. I would guess that my gastroenterologist talked to her about me...
I gotta tell you though, the computer systems these places have are SCARY! I gave her my name, and she pulled me right up even though I've never been treated at the hospital or anything! Then we figured out that it was because the hospital did my drug test for my job at the gym, so I went into the computer... my record was marked "employee". So then I had to explain that I was only part-time, didn't work for the hospital itself but at the gym, and all of that because my insurance didn't match.... :)
That ALWAYS happens, and it can get funny: the hospital that runs the hospital that runs my school has different insurance from the children's hospital, and different from the University affiliated with the hospital system as well... So I'm always having to correct something because they automatically assume I have one insurance until they realize that I work for the children's hospital. Our ID badges look the same and all... But you know what really stinks? ANYTIME I'm on hospital property, I have to wear my ID badge... at ANY medical campus. It is kind of nice at the hospital, because I don't get searched... I'm just allowed in. But other places, when I'm there for a personal reason, its strange... Oh well. Random thoughts at 12:15 a.m.

:mouse:

Noodles913 11-07-2004 04:52 PM

Hi all!! :wave:

I'm home!! We got home early because I haven't felt good all weekend and I'd rather not feel good at home in my own bed than in some hotel bed. :( SO..I'm going to go rest now but just wanted to let you know I was home and I'll pop in later on. :smug:

Annie-Rose 11-08-2004 01:13 PM

Hello All,
Sorry to hear you're not very well Noodles. I hope all goes well with your surgery. :goodvibes
Hope your gallbladder surgery helps you stop feeling sick too Mouse. I wish doctors could be a bit more sensitive too sometimes. :grouphug:

I've got a doctors appointment on Thursday. Last time she asked me to think about the birth control pill as I bleed for long periods of time. Which wears me out(This last time it was a month.) I've read contrasting reports about it for PCOS suffers and dug out some old posts about it here. Decisions, decisions! :?:
Hello to anyone I havent met before! :wave:
Love Annie x

KarenW 11-09-2004 11:07 AM

Hi gang!

I know it has been a while! :)

Just to update you, i had my total Abdominal Hysterectomy on October 25th. Today I go in for my 2 week Post op!

So far I am recovering well. they took my Uterus and Cervix but I got to keep my ovaries. they also lasered off quite a bit of the Endo and Adhesions. the Pathology report came back with the early stages of Adenomyosis too so the timing for the surgery was good.

I kept my ovaries for a couple of reasons:

1) they were very healthy with no cysts, scars or Endo on them
2) I am only 37 and we were trying to avoid HRT at all costs!

So even though I have PCOS, the doctor believes we can control it with diet and possible meds if necessary. I'll tell you this.. I am having hot flashes like a mad woman! I guess the ovaries are in shock!

I will get more deets today, but I wanted to check in!

MM - I had gall bladder surgery 8 years ago! 3 weeks after having a C-Section with my first child! Although I was still post-Natal, it was very very easy. I did stay over night but only because I had surgery at 5PM. I was releassed at 10 am the next day. I have 4 tiny scars to show for it, but the results are so worth it! No more heart burn!!

I need to run and get ready to go to the doctor.. but I wanted to let you all know that I have been reading and am feeling better! :)

Noodles913 11-09-2004 05:03 PM

Welcome back, Karen & Amcap!! :cloud9:

Sounds like your surgeries went well. That is always good news. :smug:

Karen, I had a hysterectomy in June 2003. The doc left my ovaries in too...for basically the same reasons. (age, hrt). He thought they might start to work better if he cauterized them and left them in, but, alas, that was not the case as they are not making estrogen, but they loveeee to make abnormal testostrone and other abmornal things. :dz:

He did warn me though that they might do this because of something about them being hormonally upset without the uterus, but he thought it would take 3 years. It took a year. I started having the hot flashes about 6 months ago...UGH...but I didn't have them after surgery. They might be in shock from the uterine trauma. I drink soy milk and take black cohosh and that seems to take the edge off of the flashes.

My endo told me that there are new medicines out there that work much better than the HRT. I'll find out more after I go through my surgery and let ya know.

I can tell they aren't working right because I've felt like crap for a long time..and reading up and doing my research on this it all makes sense why. Plus I keep getting the gut aches and nausea...and I can feel the ovaries "burning" so to speak...as if a cyst is bursting through and ripping the skin or something. Weird!!! We went away for the weekend and I felt like crap most of the time...but I didn't say much to hubby. He is smart though...he could tell. Especially when I pass up a shopping spree! :( Oh well when it's all done we'll go to the Grand Canyon.

Hope everyone else is doing better than me....drop in and let us know!! We'd love to hear from ya. :yes:

Jennifer 3FC 11-09-2004 11:09 PM

I'm glad it all went well, Karen! I hope you recover soon. If you still have your ovaries, those hot flashes should go away soon. It might be reaction to anasthesia or medication. Looks like you had good timing on the surgery - I hope things continue to look up for you. You're going to feel SO much better now that it's gone!

Noodles, I understand the growth feeling. I had a very large fibroid tumor (size of a soccer ball) and I could feel what felt like crackling and growing. Ewww.

Anonymouse 11-10-2004 07:55 PM

Noodles: Get better soon. :virtual balloons and brownies: And my brownies aren't that bad: they're fat-free and made with either applesauce or yogurt and egg whites! :)

This week has been pretty long. We had garage issues Tuesday, field trip today, and then the wonderful news that I have to go have a chest x-ray tomorrow. Some of you may remember my being allergic to the TB test serum. Its a new occurance, who knows where it came from. Anyway, the hospital I work for has decided that because htey couldn't read the test, I have to go have a chest x-ray. TOMORROW! :sigh:
Friday I have the surgeon's appointment, then I'm dispatcher all weekend, and go to see my endocrinologist on Monday. Grades are due finished by noon Friday, but all I have left to do is comments. I even have my IEP updates done. I still have 60 industry survey reports to do, but that's just a numerical rubric.
Forget the gym! Though I did get there today through some miracle, and I'm determined to get there tomorrow even though it means coming home after the chest x-ray to get my car and go back out toward the school.
:mouse:

Noodles913 11-10-2004 10:57 PM

Thanks, Mousie. :mouse:

Well, I went to the doctors today. At first doc didn't want to take out my ovaries...doc said these things happen. But then after doc saw my labs and we had a "discussion" about putting me on estrogen anyhow, doc changed mind and agreed before January. The only problem is that office is booked up until the week before Christmas. So...looks like it will be the week before Christmas, but this isn't a bad thing because I will have hubby at home and he won't have to miss too much work, plus the kid will be out of school. This also allows me time to plan for a pre-Christmas yard sale. :) Gotta get rid of stuff so we don't have to move it all back up to Oregon. Moving sucks, but moving across the western states sucks even more!!! :sp: We'll have movers, but still..there are things that you don't want them to touch, know what I mean?? Anyhow...that's my story for now. :)

On another note, today is my 11th wedding anniversary. We went to a good ol' home cooked mexican dinner, then to the wine store to get a nice bottle of wine, then to Costco and got a cheesecake, and home. Whoopie huh... I think we'll celebrate this weekend by going to the movies or something. We must be getting old...Things that use to seem fun aren't anymore. I'd rather go shopping instead. :lol:

Noodles913 11-11-2004 06:27 PM

Well...I am officially going in for surgery on Friday, December 10th @ 7:30 AM.

I wasn't suppose to go in until right before Christmas but the doctor decided to get me in sooner after all. This is what the hospital had open! LOL!! I wasn't expecting a call until Monday. A Friday...ahh well at least hubby will be off. Then the next week he can work at home.

So...that's where I'll be that weekend in case those of you that see me online, don't see me online. :) I'm sure I'll be able to post afterwards and fill you in. Hubby will bring the laptop. :hyper:

Jennifer 3FC 11-11-2004 08:34 PM

Good luck! I'm sure all will go well. Are they taking both ovaries?

Noodles913 11-12-2004 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC
Good luck! I'm sure all will go well. Are they taking both ovaries?

Thanks! :thanks:

I'm sure it will all go OK. I'm not too worried. This is the same doctor that did my hysterectomy vaginally. Very skilled surgeon.

Yea, both ovaries are going a bye-bye. Apparently the other one is full of cysts now too. That use to be my good one. Go figure. :dz: AHhh the things us women go through...

Jennifer, did they put you on any hormonal replacement??? How long were you in the hospital??? Any input/advice appreciated!! :D

Jennifer 3FC 11-12-2004 08:01 AM

Nope, no hormone replacement for me. The hot flashes were intense the first month, but they decreased dramatically after that. They really aren't bad. I'd much rather have a hot flash than menstrual cramps! If I get undesirable side effects in the future then they can treat me then. Otherwise, they aren't recommending it. The risks outweigh the benefits for me. If I had osteoporosis I would consider it.

Jennifer 3FC 11-12-2004 02:26 PM

I only answered half your question! I was in the hospital for 2 nights, but that was from the adhesion surgery. I was scheduled for outpatient surgery since it was a laproscopic procedure. They had to do about a 6 inch incision or so to clear out all the adhesions, so that left me in there a couple of days. Hopefully you'll be out in a day! When I had my gallbladder out I felt terrific afterward. I was sore, but not in pain. I took Aleve and was fine. We'll all do an over-the-counter-pain-relief meditative dance for you while you're in surgery! :dance: