PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:23 PM   #1  

Default diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia-put on glucophage- advice!

Hi!
My name is Courtney! I was recently diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia(today actually!) and my Endocrin. is putting me on Glucophage. My have had major weight gain over the past 6=8 months(over 40lbs) and have intense sugar cravings and never feel full-like I could ALWAYS eat! I have been very tired lately - I feel like Im dragging all the time.
Ive been doing lots or research today regarding glucophage/insulin resistance.
My question is,is that since I dont have type 2 diabetes(hopefully this med. will help prevent this) will the glucophage most likely still help with getting some of this weight off and help with the cravings? I exercise 5-6 days a week and try to eat right.
Is anyone else on glucophage that DOESNT have diabetes? Is it helping you?
Any advice is SO appreciated! I have been searching for answers for my symptoms for months now,and I want to do the right thing with treatment and all.
Thanks ahead of time!
Courtney
Cingels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:17 AM   #2  
Rattie Lover

WELCOME, Courtney!!

Glad to see you here!! Boy, sounds like you were dealt with a lot yesterday with your diagnosis. I have never even heard of hyperinsulinemia before, but I can sure relate to your symtpoms!! I had (and still get sometimes), the same symtpoms you do--constantly tired...gained weight...horrible sugar cravings!! I still get those too. Some days I could sleep for 10-12 hours easily.

I have been on Glucophage for over a year. I love it!! I wish everyone could use it but it has bad side effects for some. I am one of the lucky ones where it didnt after my body got use to it.

I am going to answer your questions here...

Quote:
My question is,is that since I dont have type 2 diabetes(hopefully this med. will help prevent this) will the glucophage most likely still help with getting some of this weight off and help with the cravings?
Glucophage helps to get the weight off, but it doesn't just peel it right off. It makes it so when you diet and exercise the fat gets burned as energy instead of just hanging around as storage. It helps with the cravings, but not 100%. I still crave certain things and of course, chocolate!!

Quote:
Is anyone else on glucophage that DOESNT have diabetes? Is it helping you?
I don't have diabetes...and I'm on it. It's now a common drug used in the treatment of PCOS symptoms. It has definitely helped me.

Feel free to check out our articles area. You might find some articles on glucophage and insulin resisitance helpful in your research quest. Here is a link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Also, feel free to join us in our monthly blab area! We'd love to see you there. Just click on the link below to get there.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45988

Again, we're glad you're here. Come back again real soon ok!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #3  

Hello,

I have insulin resistance and not diabetes and it has helped me. But also works since i have also modified my diet and exercise. I am using the drug to help me manage and in the end really minimze the threat of developing diabetes
storm_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:59 AM   #4  

Hello,

I was recently (last week) diagnosed with PCOS, which includes insulin resistance. My doc suggested a book, The Insulin-Resistance Diet, from what I have been able to read it is not really a diet but a lifestyle change and a way to balance your carbs and protiens. According to the book once you can balance those it will help to take some weight off and help with the cravings. Ask your doctor if he/she thinks it is something that might be helpful. I am on glucophage but so far it is not great, but I am trying to give my body a chance to get used to it. Best of luck to you.
Lyoness30 is offline   Reply With Quote