PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #1  

Default new and looking for support

Hello,

I am 30 years old and my husband and I have been trying to start a family for more than three years and our fertiliy speciallist recently diagnosed me with PCOS. I have many of the signs such as holding on to weight (I have tried several diets and have never been able to lose more than 20 lbs, having the most success with WW), thinning and losing hair, insulin resistance and cysts on my ovaries, etc. I have started on glucophage and I just bought The Insulin Resistance Diet book. I am a little scared and overwhelmed by all these happenings. I am looking for some support and encouragement thoughout this new struggle. This web site seems to have a lot of information, and from the threads that I have read you all seem to be supportive. Please let me know if you have any advice for this new path I am beginning.

Thank You!

Lyoness30
Lyoness30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:22 AM   #2  
Rattie Lover

WELCOME, Lyoness30!!

You're right!! We're a small wonderful support group and I couldn't ask for better girls.

It sounds like you've done your research. The best advice I can give you is to never give up on taking care of yourself to treat this disease, regardless of what any doctor or anyone tells you. So many times women are told "You're just fat...there's nothing else wrong with you." And it just crushes them and so they never proceed to get a different opinion to get to the bottom of the PCOS and get treatment. I'd like to smack those people that do that!! We know when something's wrong...and deserve to get the best treatment available and to be treated with kindness and dignity as well.

Feel free to join us in the monthly chat thread!! Here's a quick link!! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45988

And of course...there is always our articles... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Again, Welcome to the group!!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:01 AM   #3  

I agree, thanks! I would love to join in the chat through the monthly thread.

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I am really starting to count all my carbs tomorrow and I am going to start counting my points (WW) again too. Hopefully, doing both of these things will help. Potatoes are a BIG weakness for me, I love them, any way I can get them! I'll have to find something to help curb that craving when it hits me. Any suggestions for that??

Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

Lyoness30
Old 09-23-2004, 02:08 AM   #4  
Rattie Lover

Potatoes... now that's a different one for me!! heheheh.. I crave chocolate/sweets. I suck on Tootsie Pops and Jolly Ranchers to help curb that craving. I guess you couldn't suck on a potato though...

Isn't there some potatoes that you can eat alot of that don't hurt?? I eat Red Potatoes...yummmm...butter...yumm.. ok I will hush now. Makes me hungry!! hehehehe
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #5  

Yes Potatoes!!!!!

I know it is crazy. I can avoid the chocolate without too much trouble, but the potatoes...YUM YUM. I grew up in a VERY meat and potatoes house. I love them just about anyway you can fix them; hash browns, mashes, baked, potato skins, au gratin, scalloped, twice baked, fried... Get the picture? Anyway, I will have to read up on potatoes to see how much I can eat without too much trouble.

Thanks again!

Lyoness