3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/)
-   -   PCOS Monthly Chat For September 2004 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/45988-pcos-monthly-chat-september-2004-a.html)

Anonymouse 09-12-2004 08:32 PM

I've bought all my cars used, the first Saturn had just under 100,000 miles on it. I had it from 1996 to 1999, and put 114,000 miles on it in 3 years... she was still running strong when I traded the car in, but at that point I had started my grad school program and was driving to Baltimore from Harrisburg 3 days a week for classes at Hopkins. My mom insisted that I get a newer car. That Saturn was a good car too, but during my 2 years in Fairfax, the first year that dealership didn't do what they were supposed to do... I should have known, but I didn't. It needed all kinds of work from the stuff they didn't tell me about. Little problems that had gotten worse... I owed less than $2000 on the car at that point, and it was cheaper to trade her in and buy my current car. I've had no problems with this one, its the newest car I've ever owned. The worst damage was new tires and such, but I've had the car less than 2 years and put over 30,000 miles on her. NOt as much as before, but I live much closer to work and HOpkins now.
I did go to the gym yesterday because my new part-time job is teaching children's swimming. I assist in the learn to swim classes. The pool manager wasn't at all interested in hiring me until she found out that I'd done the adapted rec program in Fairfax County, with swimming, and that I was a certified special ed teacher.
Then she was really interested, so I was hired. ;)
I mean, most of the people who teach swimming are college age or younger, except for the person that runs the program, between 16-18. And I do look odd swimming the way I do without kicking! But I like being with the kids in the water and my school won't let me do it now because my lifeguard certificate has expired. It expired a long time ago, and the Red Cross wouldn't recertify me because I can't kick anymore. The pool manager and the lead swim instructor both think the person who does the gym's recerts will do mine, but I'll likely have to take the whole class again.
I think it'd be worth it... I could pick up summer jobs working at small apartment pools or something. It pays well, and I could do it evenings probably.
I spent all day today making a back-up of my system. My computer has to go in for service AGAIN. My father is giving me back the laptop that I sold him when I bought this one 2 years ago. I'll use it as a back-up system till this one comes back. I'm looking for a new system, but I can't really afford another laptop right now.

:mouse:

VermontChick 09-14-2004 04:16 PM

Hello ladies,

I'm new to this area of 3FC. I just found out yesterday (pending a few blood tests, but otherwise we're pretty sure) that I have PCOS. At first it scared me, I worry about having children someday...will I still be able to?
Then the reality hit me, and I'm seeing it as a reason to lose weight..it all makese sense now..the acne, the thinning (ish) hair, the heavy midsection, and the HEAVY periods.

Well I look forward to getting to know you all.

Noodles913 09-14-2004 07:52 PM

:balloons: WELCOME, MISSMELISS!! :balloons:

We're glad you're here!! You'll find a great support system here with us girls. :D

Congrats on the new "fun" job, mousie!! The kids will love you. :smug:

Jennifer, sounds like all of that sanding is exercise to me. Like the Karate Kid... "Sand On..Sand Off". You sanded!! hehehehe . That reminds me of when we saw Pat Morita inside the Las Vegas Club one time...At the fancy steak resturant. We had free dinners so we were in there eating away..and here is this drunk to the bone oriental guy..cracking jokes, stumbling when he went to walk to the bathroom, etc. He was hillarious!! And very nice too. :) A happy drunk. :p

Well, I had a nice birthday weekend. We went to the river. Met some family there. The hotel was very nice...the food was good, the pool was WARM and the spa felt soo good on my arthritic back!! :cloud9:

I did some eating, some drinking, some gambling, and some shopping. I bought some more bras and undies, a cute pink shirt, a rat beanie, and the big pumpkin beanie. We went riding jet skis on the river...I cranked it up to over 60 MPH!! Wheeeeee!!!!! It felt good...the cool river water hitting ya when its over 110° outside... :cool:

I had a slight problem with my contact. It split open somwhow and I thought i had something in my eye, but it was the contact rubbing on my eye, and I scratched it. :( So I am back to glasses for right now until it heals back up. Ugh..drove me nuts!! Felt like I had a pebble in my eye. :tired: I think the contact was defective so I am going to call and ask for a replacement.

Hope everyone else is doing good!! Feel free to pop in and blab with us...we want you too!! :yes:

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Anonymouse 09-14-2004 07:57 PM

Sounds like a good time, Noodles. Fun!

:mouse:

VermontChick 09-14-2004 08:36 PM

Noodles, thank you for the welcome!!

I have a question for you all...does losing weight make this disorder 'go away'...or does it make it more treatable??? I just want to know there's hope for me yet...

Jennifer 3FC 09-15-2004 12:13 AM

Hi everybody - Meliss, welcome to the PCOS forum! PCOS is treated symptomatically. (Is that a word??) Overall, the only way to control the syndrome as a whole is to lose weight. Some people do not have any problem conceiving. Have you had an ultrasound to see if you have cysts? Are you seeing an endocrinologist? That would be the best doctor for you, particularly when you try to conceive. For other symptoms, it's just one treatment at a time. I have acne unless I use antibiotic cream on my face. If I continue to use it, I'm clear 90% of the time. I have a few wild hairs and I will start laser treatment next month. I had my ovaries removed due to cysts and massive adhesions, so that is one less thing to worry about. You will probably find a lot of interesting info in the PCOS Articles section. It's a sub forum that you can see at the top of the PCOS forum main page.

Jennifer 3FC 09-15-2004 12:28 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention my follow up to the endo yesterday. I hadn't seen him in almost 2 years since he turned me over to another surgeon. Anyway, he wants me to go back on Gluc. :cry: He wants me to just do 500mg of the XR for 4-6 weeks and then try and increase it again. I first said that if I couldn't get to goal in 6 months that we'd try it, but somehow I managed to walk out the door with my prescription anyway. I'm also going to start laser hair removal in 4 weeks. I have to wait that long because I tweezed recently. It is pretty cheap there. They charge just enough to pay for the tech and the equipment and no profit. Such sweet doctors! If anybody else out there is interested but is put off by the cost, call your endo and see if they do it.

I also had bloodwork done, so we'll see how my hormones look in about 5 weeks.

Annie-Rose 09-15-2004 02:56 AM

Good day to you all!

That's excellent news about the laser hair removal. Fortunately I don't have too much trouble with hair in other places but my arms and legs get really really bad if I leave them. I'm such a coward I can't even wax!
I've been following a diet called the PCOS diet by Collette Harris and its really working for me. Mind you I've never exercised before and now I am its really made a difference. (Just stating the obvious :lol: )
I feel so much better in myself, (apart from daily bleeding - I don't get period cramps or anything but really light bleeding for about 2 weeks then I stop for a week, sometimes have a 'normal' kind of period then start bleeding lightly for a while. It gets me down sometimes, but there are worst things!!!

I'm so glad you had a great birthday Noodles. It sounded wonderful. Hope your loft looks great Jennifer, Good luck with the job Mouse (don't you ever get tired? I AM going to call you Tigger!) and HELLO to you Miss Meliss! Your avatar looks just like me! (In my dreams!)
Have a great day everyone!

Noodles913 09-15-2004 03:44 AM

HI GIRLS!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

YAY!!! Alot of you posted!!! I'm sooo glad!! Means you are checking in and actually reading. :cloud9:

Hey Jennifer...if you get the gastrointestional side effects again with the glucophage, try cutting your pill in ½ and take ½ of it with one big meal, and the ½ with the other. This makes it a bit easier for the body to absorb with the food and easier on the gastrointestional tract. I hope it works for you this time...it really is a great drug for this PCOS crap we deal with.

Same ol' stuff happening here. I really need to get back to my Endo too. I am out of refills plus need to get blood work done. Blah...I hate needles. But at least I don't run off and beat the doctor now for using them on me. ;)

I made a homemade meal today and my hubby and daughter flipped!! (I rarely cook.) It came out delicious!! I even surprised myself. I guess I might try to cook something else tomorrow. I warned them not to get use to it though...Cooking has never been my favorite thing to do. I'd rather garden or clean the house. Ya ya I know I'm weird!! :dizzy:

Well, time to wind down and hit the bed. Everyone keep posting!!! & Don't forget about the word game...it's lonesome without you. :(

yvonnef 09-15-2004 01:42 PM

Hi folks,

I had a 2000 Saturn that I loved. No problems. The only thing I disliked was trying to parallel park it - it turned like a large boat.

I'm still trying to get used to this Metformin medication. I am finding that I am nervous that I'll have blood sugar "crashes" still, when it seems to be helping that. I used to eat proactively to keep myself from crashing, and tended to always be hungry.

The Metformin seems to keep me steadier. GI stuff isn't bothering me too much still, luckily. The main problem seems to be if I eat a ton of sugar, like the ice cream sundae the other day. I felt completely miserable the next day, GI and all.

It's weird because I'm emotionally used to sugar making me feel much better, and not eating causing "crashes" with anxiety etc. Now sugar is bad and not eating as much improves my mood, it seems. So I'm trying to convince myself of these things - I have all these anticipations and habits built up from years of undiagnosed insulin resistance & PCOS, it seems...

Small amounts of sugar seem ok. (Although I'm also trying to lose weight.) Anyone else on Metformin finding anything similar?

Thanks, Yvonne

VermontChick 09-15-2004 08:11 PM

I'm so glad I found this forum, and here I was thinking a few days ago I was alone!! I'm glad to know that this isn't something you DIE from...(I'm a bit of a hypochondriac).

Jennifer:
I'm not currently seeing an endocrinologist, but I'm not trying to have children at the moment. I have not had an ultrasound, and I'm not sure if I will be getting one (at least for a while)...so obviously I do not know if i actually have any cysts...I haven't even officially been diagnosed yet..but I know that is what I have. I even have a random small patch of brown skin that they say is common in folks like us. I have acne, albeit not BAD acne..and thining (ish) hair.

Thank you to everyone else for the warm welcome. Although I am upset about my recent findings, I cannot believe it has come down to this. This is the real thing, I need to lose weight if I want to live a full and healthy life, and these changes I need to make aren't even a question of if i can do it..I HAVE to do it.

Jennifer 3FC 09-15-2004 10:06 PM

Meliss, this isn't something you can die from exactly, but it does mean you have a very good chance of getting Diabetes if you don't lose weight. If you have the brown patch(es) and are overweight, that is a good sign you are insulin resistant, which is a precursor for Diabetes. SO good for you for looking into this and nipping it in the bud before it does turn into anything (if it does, it isn't for sure)!

Noodles913 09-16-2004 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvonne
Anyone else on Metformin finding anything similar?

I had similar effects too, Yvonne. Heck I still get the major side effects if I eat too much sugar...plus the intestines get mad at me!! :o But I don't know what I would of done without the metformin. It really has leveled things out and kept my blood sugar level, not to mention I'm not always butt tired anymore. Plus I don't gain weight as fast as I use too, and if I do, if I exercise and go back to eating clean, the weight comes off easily. And I rarely get acne anymore. YAY!!

I hope it works for you soon and you see results like I have.

How is everyone else?? Good I hope!! Tonight I cooked another dinner. I made a baked Ziti Pasta dish. It came out delicious!!! I guess I can cook if I try. :D Nothing really exciting going on here now...just chatting and petting my rat in my lap and sucking on Atomic Fireballs for fresh breath. :cool: Exciting huh?? I thought so. :)

Type at ya later girls!! :wave:

VermontChick 09-16-2004 01:25 AM

Hey guys,

Ok I'm still trying to figure this out...does obesity cause PCOS, or does PCOS cause obesity?? Or is it sorta both? Because I was under the impression being overweight caused the diease, but then I was reading some posts, and a lot of people mentioned gaining weight because of it. I'm just wondering, because I gained about 70 pounds in three years (eek). Of course I am willing to take full responsibility for it, it would just make me feel a bit better if i knew PCOS made some other people gain weight...

Noodles913 09-16-2004 01:47 AM

I was skinny when I got it so... for me I had it before I gained the weight. The weight just seemed to pile on throughout the years though..:( Course my eating habits sucked back then too. :o There are women who develop it after they are overweight, so I am inclined to believe it goes both ways. But don't mark my words 100% on this...I'll ask my endocrinologist and see what she says and report back in a few weeks. :)