PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:55 PM   #91  
Swimming Mouse

HOORAY and HUZZAH, Noodles! YEA on the contacts!!! I'm a confirmed glasses-wearer, but... HOORAY!!!

And yes, on advice from friends, family, and comments here I will be writing a letter to the physician (since I was told I can contact her via email!), and telling her why I do not want treatment from her again. I may send a copy to the hospital's patient care board as well. I've done that for one other doctor there, though, the endocrinologist that I was seeing at Hopkins, and nothing happened. All they did was give her a chance to respond to my letter and state her side. When I pointed out from her very letter that she had incorrect facts, I never eceived another response. So I'm not sure that would do me any good at all.
The good news is that yesterday I swam a whole mile (Tuesday), and that the 2 pound gain I saw a week ago was almost definitely muscle... because this week on Tuesday, I was 5 pounds less than I'd been. I've never shown that much of a loss in a week before... okay, I'm sure some of it is the not eating, but, I have to admit, it was still nice.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:40 AM   #92  
WW Moderator

Hi everybody - I'm really getting disturbed by my incision. I don't know if I mentioned that I'm (well the husband) is packing the incision with a gauze strip 2x a day in one part that didn't heal. I had been really red and had a small bit of infection in that one part, but now after loads of antibiotics I'm still red and it has started peeling, so we decided that it probably wasn't red from infection, but burned from the laser in surgery. Now it looks more red, and right along the scar in the part that is red, it looks like it's turning blue. Just like a little blue line going across it. Makes me nervous! I don't like not healing well AT ALL. It might look blue because of the red, but I dunno. The whole thing is icky. My huge fear is that they have to go back in to see what is wrong! Oh I couldn't stand that again, not after all of this. I think this has been a tougher recuperation than my hysterectomy was. Has anybody had similar post surgical experiences? I guess I'm looking for reassurance. I go back to the doctor on Friday but that sure seems a long way off.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:44 AM   #93  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC
Hi everybody - I'm really getting disturbed by my incision. I don't know if I mentioned that I'm (well the husband) is packing the incision with a gauze strip 2x a day in one part that didn't heal. I had been really red and had a small bit of infection in that one part, but now after loads of antibiotics I'm still red and it has started peeling, so we decided that it probably wasn't red from infection, but burned from the laser in surgery. Now it looks more red, and right along the scar in the part that is red, it looks like it's turning blue. Just like a little blue line going across it. Makes me nervous! I don't like not healing well AT ALL. It might look blue because of the red, but I dunno. The whole thing is icky. My huge fear is that they have to go back in to see what is wrong! Oh I couldn't stand that again, not after all of this. I think this has been a tougher recuperation than my hysterectomy was. Has anybody had similar post surgical experiences? I guess I'm looking for reassurance. I go back to the doctor on Friday but that sure seems a long way off.
Oh no!! That doesn't sound good, Jennifer!! Don't panic yet though, dear!! Friday is only 1 day away. I hope you haven't went back to work yet?? Are you taking it easy?? When I had my daughter, I thought I could just go back to normal and start running around and doing stuff, and went on a cleaning spree. Well, in 3 days I wound up popping out all but one stitch from my episiotomy and they had the nerve to tell me they wanted to re-stitch me up!! I told them heck no!!!

Keep us posted on what the Dr. says and everything else. Maybe they will give you a strong antibiotic cream to put on there.

**hugs**
Old 07-01-2004, 10:30 AM   #94  
WW Moderator

No, I'm not back at work yet. She wants that one spot to heal before I go. I think that one part MIGHT be from laughing after surgery. I laughed too hard, and Rob pretended to stump his toe to get me to stop because although I knew it wasn't good, I couldn't quit. I was horriifed and hysterical at the same time. I was sore for a couple of days after that. Maybe I popped an interior stitch, which caused all the problems with healing there. I don't think it is infected anymore. I took 14000 mg of Keflex last week and it is peeling - it looks burned. It isn't as red this morning so maybe I sat straight up too long yesterday. We'll see tomorrow!
Old 07-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #95  

Jennifer, hey girl hope you are going to be okay. I was reading the journals and its sounds like this has been really rough on you. I will say a prayer for you today. Your husband sounds like a wonderful man for taking care of you the way he has. Your really lucky in that sense. You probally posted this but, are you on bc pills now they took your ovaries? Take care of yourself and you are in my thoughts.

Noodles congrats on the contacts! I wear them and I want to get lasik surgery, I am have had glasses/contacts since 2nd grade and I am sick of spending money on cleaners,appts., contacts, new glasses! But good luck, I like to wear my contacts more than my glasses. I guess just like when you have a hysterectomy-no more spending money on all the products ! I read you are not on a low carb diet and still losing weight. Do you eat alot of fiber or do anything special. I am trying to eat as much fiber as my body will take. I have stomach probs. Check in later. Julie
Old 07-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #96  
Rattie Lover

Hi Julie!! Glad to see you here!!

Funny you should mention hysterectomy...I had one of those too!! It's so nice not having to worry about Aunt Flo every month!! (huh, Jennifer! )

As for my diet, all I did was cut out 99% of sugar, junk foods, fried fast foods, processed foods, and started eating better. I drink a gallon of water a day. I cut out all sodas, punches, juices, etc. I eat alof ot chicken and turkey, fresh fruits and veggies, salads, yogurts, whole stone ground wheat bread, wheat crackers, rice cakes, almonds, etc...

I do let myself have a treat here and there...it keeps me from going insane. The good part about some of those treats is that they are now sweetened with Splenda so I don't have to worry about the sugar. Like if I crave coke I will go get Diet Rite. If I crave ice cream I will go and get a BLue Bunny ice cream with Splenda in it.

I also started exercising. I think that is a big contributor to my weight loss. ALthough I have fell off the band wagon a few times I get right back up. I feel so much better health wise with this lifestyle--I never want to return to chemo/diabeties/arthritis/etc days!! I still have arthritis, but it isn't as severe as it use to be and I think that is partially because I lost the weight. I cut my meds in ½ and one day hope to be completely off of them.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #97  
Swimming Mouse

Ooo, Jennifer... I know when I have had infections on the skin, my skin peels first as new skin grows underneath. Even when its red, its done that. The blue might be a bruise coming up... I'm slow to bruise. I'll have a blood draw on Friday, but the bruise won't show till Tuesday, and then take 3 weeks to completely bloom and disappear.
Maybe that is what happened to you this time?
The skin peeling especially happens on my bad ankle around my toe-nails. Because of the nerve damage, I get lots of in-grown toe nails on that foot (due to my strange gait). And when I cut them out, its red and sore... then its red and peely.
I hope that is what it is!

Old 07-02-2004, 08:35 AM   #98  
Rattie Lover

Closing Thread!!

Come visit us in July 2004 PCOS Chat!!
Closed Thread