PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 03:12 PM   #46  
WW Moderator

Mouse, they don't give regular anesthesia for endoscopies. I think it is a big shot of valium, or something like that. You're only 'out' for a few minutes then you lay there groggy for a while and they let you put your clothes on and go home. You do have to have a driver. You'll be nice and relaxed when you get home and sleep it off like a good tranquilizer. (Well at least I think they're good! ) So don't worry about the anesthesia.

I control throwing up mind over matter also. I've always been mildly queasy after surgery and I have the surgeon write it ahead of time to keep me pumped with phenergan. This time they said I could eat until midnight before. I hadn't planned on eating late but I did have dinner at 8pm, then I had ice cream. Not smart. I told the doctor I wasn't eating after noon but she said eat so I won't be so weak, I'd only be under an hour. I was under 3 hours due to the complications and I was pretty nauseated. Rob brought me the trash cans 3 times that night, but all 3 times we called for a nurse and they came running with an injection within a minute or two and then it would pass. They alternate nausea medication so they can layer it and keep it in you. Kinda like giving a child ibuprofen alternating with tylenol every 2 hours for a fever. I hate throwing up more than anything on earth and I 'will' it off also, Violet!. I haven't thrown up in 21 years! That includes salmonella poisoning, 4 surgeries and pregnancy.

Mouse, let us know about the results!
Old 06-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #47  
WW Moderator

Oh yeah, thanks for the idea of Black Cohosh. I don't know anything about it, so I'll look it up. I'm having hot flashes daily now, but they aren't so bad. I do wake up hot at night and that is my only complaint. I can't sleep more than a couple of hours at a time between being hot or having to pee!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #48  
Rattie Lover

Well..so much for rest...

I am headed out again back to where I just came from. Just got the call today that hubbys aunt died today. Funeral next week. I'll be scarce again..but not as scarce since I'll have the wireless laptop with me. I tell ya if it isn't one thing it's another. At least she had a nice long life. (she was 90).
Old 06-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #49  
Swimming Mouse

Violet: I was on glucophage when they did my CT scan, and couldn't keep the barium down. My endocrinologist's office had to call them and make alternate arrangements... they gave me some clear liquid which they mixed with Snapple Fruit Punch and then with Tang. That stayed down... at least till the test was over.
I know you can do mind control: I did it today during the hidascan. I was nauseous when I went in there, and the hormone they inject made it worse, but I was just absolutely not going to throw up while laying down, and I knew they'd never get that camera moved fast enough... so I just bit my lip. I didn't throw up until later.
But by that point, I doubt it was the injection... I'm pretty sure it was just standard for me now, and also stress from work.
They did it to me again today... I swear, that database administrator must WATCH for days I have to go have something done to play her games.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:28 PM   #50  
Swimming Mouse

Jennifer: Well, at least valium might not be too bad. Although I don't react very well to hydrocodone or morphine, so we'll see. I'm hoping I don't have to have it done, but I had no symptoms during the hidascan. I was nauseous when I went in for the test, and the injection made it worse briefly, but I just decided I wasn't going to throw up. I can do that sometimes, but if I start coughing, that's it... I have NEVER thrown up as much as I have the last two years. I hate throwing up and being sick. I'll have the results of the hidascan in 24 hours or so, they said. Anyway, after about 3-4 minutes when they were finished injecting, I was fine...I was absolutely not nauseated, and the thought of food didn't make me feel sick either, which has been an issue.
I really think that I got sick after the scan because of the people I work with. The database administrator didn't have the report cards done on time for some reason, so they weren't available for us to check until 11:30 today. And of course, my appointment for the 'scan was at 12:00 pm! For some reason, they had to be checked by 3:30 this afternoon. I have no idea why: they certainly weren't going to get them ready to mail at 4:00 this afternoon! So I asked my supervisor to just intervene for me, professionally, and tell her I'd look at the report cards tomorrow. I'm there before she is anyway since she doesn't get there till after 8.
Reality is this: I can't even tell if the grades are right or wrong because I can't access other teacher's gradebooks, and I don't teach most of my homeroom. And it really wouldn't have mattered if I'd done it tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m. when I get there.
But my supervisor not only couldn't do this, he bounced it to the lead teacher who decided that I shove my responsibilities off on everybody else and never do my job. That makes so little sense: I have perfect attendance for 3 out of 4 quarters and didn't miss more than 1 day when I had that cast on! I didn't ask them to check my report cards, all I asked was for an extension. I was livid... I checked my email after the test, tried to call, the lead teacher wasn't even THERE...so she left early!!!!!! AND she was out all last week! But after the scan, and not having eaten, I went back to the school and scanned the report cards. But I was really angry and upset... and my supervisor actually saw me crying. I was that angry... I wasn't crying because I was sad, but from anger and from being sick and them making me do this.
I just asked for a little support, and received NONE. So, is this what is going to happen if I have that surgery this summer too?????
I really wonder if the tuition reimbursement is worth the stress. I could do the doctorate on my own if I took out a loan and did one or two classes a year.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:36 PM   #51  
WW Moderator

Mouse,Did you get your results back today? I hope everything went well!

Noodles, when do you leave town again? BTW, I like your sig from the CDC.

Whew, I've been nauseas more in the last 2 weeks than I have in months. Maybe it is from pain. I've not had a lot, but it is an icky feeling to breathe out deep and feel the incision crackle. Ick. I get sick when I over do it, like stand too long or get hot or carry something that is too heavy. Tonight I've had 2 diet sierra mists, 2 tums, then phenergan with an emetrol chaser. That helped some. Then I did some awesome belching (not that I think it is great, but I think the look on DD and DS's faces are hysterical - I definitely have a testosterone imbalance in my digestive system) then put on a gown, washed face in cool water, brushed teeth, moved to a cool room and I'm still icky, but not as bad. I can't think of anything else that works for me!

Going to watch season 3 of BBC's Coupling as soon as it subsides. Yayyyy!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:27 AM   #52  
Rattie Lover

Hi girls!!

We're not going now. We decided to stay home cause Hubs grandma said its ridiculous for everyone to drive back and forth when we're just going back for the 4th of July anyhow. I am still just beat from the last trip. I need a vacation from the trip! I'll get back to par here soon enough. We may be moving back to Oregon so I have to get started now and get rid of stuff. Lord knows I got alot of it!!!

Hope u get to feeling better, Jennifer. I think it took me about 6 months to really feel right when I had my tubal. Hysterectomy took about 4. My eyes are just about healed though thank GOD!!! Bye bye glasses in 2 weeks!!
Old 06-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #53  
Happy Heathen

Unhappy Sorry

Wow, sorry to hear everyone is feeling so bad. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's aunt, Noodles, but 90 years is a good long run of things. We can all only hope to make it that far Glad to hear your eyes are doing well Did you have Lasik?

To the pukers have you tried ginger? I always use ginger for nausea - just a little of the fresh root steeped in a tea, or I just chew it raw in a pinch; works wonders.

Well my period is officially late, again, but I'm not knocked up - just feeling PMS for two weeks straight...ugh! Other than that I'm doing well, but the weight is not coming off. I haven't really exercised much this week though, just feeling too tired and icky. I may have to put off my weigh-in for another week if this water retention keeps up. Stupid hormones

Have a great weekend everyone
Old 06-18-2004, 10:30 AM   #54  

Well I'm back from my job interview (did I mention that here?) and here's the news.

It's a Family owned and operated company, 80 years in business. This job would be a promotion into management for me.

Their facility is in a wooded lot and is gorgeous. They have great landscaping with wild flowers and their newly renovated offices have fish tanks in the wall in several different areas—very cool. The entrance has this great staircase with willow branches woven through the banister and the architecture of the building itself is in the style of a log cabin. Just beautiful. I wish my employer would put that kind of effort into their environment. Instead I have homicidal geese to contend with.

I interviewed primarily with a guy who should be playing poker for a living. He gave me zero non-verbal cues. I couldn’t even get him to crack a smile. So, unable to tell if he loved me or hated me, I assumed the worst and decided he hated me. One of the family members spent maybe 15 minutes with me in the middle of the interview and gave me a hard time about the fact I had my current job information in past tense. She asked if I was still working there and implied perhaps I was unemployed. I’ve had my resume formatted that way for years and no one has ever given me a hard time. Not that she didn’t have a point, but it was just odd how she got hung up on it.

I was not asked one personal question. No “tell me about yourself”, nada. Again I took this as a bad sign, or perhaps everyone there just has really poor social skills?

When he asked me if I had any questions, I got him to open up a bit and I felt we had a genuine conversation. He talked about some of the problems they had in the department and with the previous manager and I was able to give examples of how I successfully handled similar situations in my job. I am a very good fit for this position, but I have no idea if I was able to sell it to them or not.

All in all, it was one of the oddest interviews I’ve had. I’ve never interviewed with someone so emotionally blank. It was surreal and it made me nervous, I doubt that I did my best.

Noodles--sorry about the death in your family. As Vanessa said 90 is a good run, may we all live as long if not longer.

Jennifer--sorry you're feeling bad. I hope things stop crackling soon! Yay on Coupling--enjoy!

Anonymouse--All I can say is I hope you have an exit plan for that job. You shouldn't stay there b/c I doubt their harrassment is going to stop. Have your test results come back?

Take care everyone

Violet
Old 06-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #55  
Rattie Lover

Good luck with the job, Vanessa! They would be fools if they didn't hire you.

BioGeek: Not Lazik. I wish... I had eye muscle surgery on both eyes. I'm soooo glad I did!! Count down to contact days..June 29th! YAY!! I can finally make my life almost glasses free!! I'll keep a spare pair around for the heck of it.

Jennifer: How ya feeling today?? Better I hope!!

Mouseie: You feeling ok too?? Keep us posted!!

Well, yesterday I got out of the house and ran errands in the 106° heat. I went to the bank, Post Office, Costco, & Super Wally World. How come I can't ever get out of Costco without spending over $100?? At least the food lasts us months when we go. But I couldn't see spending $5.99 for a big tub of strawberries that would go to waste when I could get a pound at Wallyworld for $1.50. Course the rats would like those berries.

Well, have a good day everyone..my stomach is a little queazy this AM so going back to lay down for a bit.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:16 PM   #56  
WW Moderator

Violet, I hope things went well for you at the interview. I wouldn't worry too much about reading into their actions. My boss, for example, asks very few questions. I've sat in on his interviews and left knowing nothing about the applicant. He gets a feel for the person and makes his mind up about that, because the resume has already told him the rest. Surprisingly, most of who he hires turns out very well. I wish I had that kind of work environment also! I have flourescent lights, tile on concrete flooring, and no windows. Blech.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:12 PM   #57  
Swimming Mouse

Wow... you guys were all busy again.

Work Update: I swear I work for an insane asylum. Actually, that is a fairly accurate description since the kids are mostly emotionally disturbed. I guess the staff starts to act like them. We had the whole thing with my being sick on Wednesday. My best friend thinks I need to do an official job action, if they don't apologize in writing. But she's way more litigious than I am, and into that kind of militant action. I don't work that way. I don't think LIFE works that way.
Anyway, today's surprise was that I had to be out of my old classroom and in my new one. Thank GOODNESS for my fantastic TA. She organized and moved furniture and helped me haul all the crap around and get it all stored. I took her to lunch today, and she deserved way more than the salad she ate! I was ready to throw in the towel, because I hate moving. I'm organized, but dragging and packing and unpacking....ARRRGH! I feel confident that, if we can find more desks (somebody already stole 7 of them out of the damn room!), we'll be ready on July 6th for kids. My TA is also an awesome decorator and space arranger.

Testing: My doctor called twice tonight, but I was at my mom's house in Lancaster. I took her new kitten to her today, and the person who had the kitten was supposed to meet me at 2:30... so I could be back in Baltimore by 6, but I didn't make it. However, the new kitty is named Wiccan (I tried for Wicked, since we already have Bandit (dog) and Imp (my kitty), but got voted down). He's all black with four white half-socks and a white spot on his chest. He's tiny... only weighs 1.9 pounds, and is 8 weeks old.
The doctor just left messages saying she was sorry she'd missed me, and she'd try to get me on Monday. :sigh: Why couldn't she tell me if the results were normal or not? I'm going to be on pins and needles until Monday!!!!
I actually kept down an entire turkey sandwich when I took my TA to lunch today; the waiter at the restaurant thought I was nuts. They only had one turkey sandwich on the menu: and it had cheese, bacon, guacomole, salsa, etc on it. I told him, "One plain turkey sandwich with a side mayonnaise, please." I had to pay the same as if it had all the crud on it.
They had breakfast for us at school, so I tried some eggs and french toast, but that made a quick reappearance... :sigh:
My work environment looks nice, but I swear a lot of the staff are just stupid... I don't have a plan to leave there because they're paying for my doctorate. I can't afford to attend Johns Hopkins ($5250/year for 6 credits in the doctoral program; you need a minimum of 30 credits plus the dissertation credits for the PhD) without the tuition reimbursement, and Hopkins is the only place in the area that has a program in assistive tech and will let me do it as a PhD instead of a 2nd masters.
:sigh: I calculated that if I don't do the dissertation, I need to stay another 2 years after this one to have 36 credits. I can go anywhere within our Institute, though, so I understand that many of the other programs including the middle school aren't run the way the high shcool is run.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:18 PM   #58  
Swimming Mouse

Violet: Hope you got the job! As for weight loss: it took YEARS after I was diagnosed before I finally started losing weight. I started with my current endocrinologist in April 2001. I didn't show any signs of weight loss until October 2003... and despite not eating, its been a long, slow struggle. I'm with you, believe me!

Noodles & Jennifer: Queasy is no fun, hope you're both feeling better.

Vanessa: I have tried ginger. I bought some at Trader Joes, and it did work, sort of. Sometimes, it made it worse because the ginger was so strong. Ginger ale works a lot better for me, and so do citrus or cinnamon things. Wintergreen works too. But usually they work AFTER I've already thrown up...

Oh, and here's an interesting tidbit: My DENTIST is a member of my gym along with her husband (her computer support person/receptionist). I was swimming along yesterday, and this guy kept staring at me. I am strange, I swim with my glasses on. I HATE not being able to see! Anyway, he kept staring at me, and about 3/4 of the way through my half mile, he called across the lane, and says, "Isn't your dentist Dr. X?" Uhm, yea... and he says, "Well, I'm the one that works at the front desk, and she's down at the other end of the pool." AWw, geez.... my DENTIST???

Old 06-19-2004, 12:16 AM   #59  
WW Moderator

Hey, I'd rather see my dentist out than my gynecologist!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:40 AM   #60  
Swimming Mouse

Jennifer: You may have a point. However, my gynecologist has already seen me in less than a bathing suit! Maybe that is one advantage to having a gynecologist that lives out of state? I probably don't EVER have to worry about running into her in Baltimore!
At least my dentist is female. I'm noticing that with the exception of my orthopedist, all my doctors are female. Hmmm...

Closed Thread