PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:03 PM   #1  

Default PCOS & IR Starting Treatments for First Time!

Hi I am new here! *waves*
I was just officially diagnosed with PCOS and IR
My doctor plans on putting me on BC and Glucophage
What can I expect from these drugs? What should I look out for?
I have been reading and see the tri phasel drugs are not GOOD for
PCOS patients. I am over weight and primarily from having PCOS
untreated for at least 10 years or more. My last dr blew me off
when I asked him about it 2 years ago so now that I have insurance
again I have a new dr and she is great. I just want to be prepared
when I go in for my Ultrasound on thurs and consultation. I see underlying
joking about bathroom runs with glucophage / metformin can you be a little more explaining about that? I have worries! lol I work in an office of 70 people 60 of which are women lol and there are only 2 womens restrooms....so you can see my concerns there hehe...anyway I really would like as much info as you can throw at me! This is all new to me. Ive only gotten patchy information over the years about PCOS. Ive been reading here all night trying to get more and more info
Thanks in advance!
Karin
Ignuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:30 AM   #2  

Can Anyone answer my questions please?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:47 PM   #3  

Hi, I have IR, and my doctor put me on glucophage, but I have yet to take it because of the bathroom issues. I do know, from also having IB, that if you take fiber, I take Fibercon, you have better control. My doctor has me taking 2 Fibercon up to 3 times per day, as needed, most days I just take 2, which is one dose. Anyway, there's tons of information on the web about glucophage and Pcos. Go to www.google.com and enter Glucophage+PCOS
and you'll get tons of sites.
Good luck,
Julie
wannabeslimnow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:20 PM   #4  

Default Hi There

and Welcome.
LoL...they told me the same thing about the bathroom (I'm new too...I've been on 500mg of Metformin 2X a day for about 20 days now). I haven't had any problems at all. I don't know if my diet has anything to do with it (I'm on a really low cal diet) but I didn't even get gas! In fact, I'm spending a lot of time at the other end of the spectrum (if you get my drift). I've had loads of trouble losing weight but it seems the weight is slowly starting to come off again...just this week. I guess it takes a while for it to start to really work.
***shrugs*** I guess it's different for everybody...
loves,
Jenna
AmbrotosAubade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:44 PM   #5  

Hi Jenna,

My doctor put me on metformin, and xenical. I didn't want to start them both because they both have "that" side effect , so I started the xenical first. On that you have to watch the fat. If you eat more than 14 grams, so they say, you get diarreah. I think for me it will be lower. I had 8 grams for lunch, and was okay, but could tell that was the upper limit. I have been really successful using Fibercon to keep me regular, and to prevent problems.

Glad to hear the metformin is working for you. How many calories are you on? I eat between 1400 - 1800 a day, which is high, but I walk 3 miles a day with our baby, walk the dogs each 1 mile, and bike 5 miles per day when it's warm enough outside.

Another thing I read on another board was taking flaxseed oil. I take 1 TBSP a day, and lost 5 pounds last week alone, with no change in diet or exercise.

Julie
Old 04-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #6  

Let see I got my prescriptions today im going on Ovcon 35 and Glucophage/Metformin 1000mg My gluco schedules is 500mg once a day the first week
500mg twice a day the second week and if I tolerate it ok move up to 1500-2000mga day ! crazy I know! But I hope it works :-s I wont know what to do with my self id I ever feel normal! i am thnking I should pick up some fibercn just in case lol and what is the flaxseed oil suppose to help with? Really curious about that!
Thanks so much!
Karin
Old 04-14-2004, 06:23 AM   #7  

Glad to hear the metformin is working for you. How many calories are you on? I eat between 1400 - 1800 a day, which is high, but I walk 3 miles a day with our baby, walk the dogs each 1 mile, and bike 5 miles per day when it's warm enough outside.

Julie[/QUOTE]

Thanks,
I'm on an 800 calorie a day diet (but I usually only get around 600). Metformin completely wipes out my appetite. I'm also supposed to be mindful of carbohydrats but I'm not sure I eat enough to worry. I'm a vegetarian...actually I was vegan and it's killing me to eat meat, but the doctor says I need more protein. I like to exercise...mostly circuit training at Curves but my doctor said no, I should be doing cardio or the elliptical machine (its soooooo boring to me though) I don't think I'll be able to stick with it.
You do so much walking! That's great! I love to walk; it's so calming.
loves,
jenna
AmbrotosAubade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:31 AM   #8  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignuss
Hi I am new here! *waves*
I was just officially diagnosed with PCOS and IR
My doctor plans on putting me on BC and Glucophage
What can I expect from these drugs? What should I look out for?
I have been reading and see the tri phasel drugs are not GOOD for
PCOS patients. I am over weight and primarily from having PCOS
untreated for at least 10 years or more. My last dr blew me off
when I asked him about it 2 years ago so now that I have insurance
again I have a new dr and she is great. I just want to be prepared
when I go in for my Ultrasound on thurs and consultation. I see underlying
joking about bathroom runs with glucophage / metformin can you be a little more explaining about that? I have worries! lol I work in an office of 70 people 60 of which are women lol and there are only 2 womens restrooms....so you can see my concerns there hehe...anyway I really would like as much info as you can throw at me! This is all new to me. Ive only gotten patchy information over the years about PCOS. Ive been reading here all night trying to get more and more info
Thanks in advance!
Karin
WELCOME, KARIN!!!

I take metformin 500mg 2x a day. The best advice I can offer is to take it right in the middle of your meal and with your two biggest meals of the day. For me...my biggest are usually lunch and dinner so I take 1 pill each with those. I had side effects for about a week...but they went away and I haven't had any since and I've been on it since September 2003.

Feel free to join us in the monthly chat!! Our personal venting area... Also feel free to check out our PCOS Articles. Here is a quick link for ya...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Tanks again for joining us!! Welcome!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbrotosAubade
Thanks,
I'm on an 800 calorie a day diet (but I usually only get around 600). Metformin completely wipes out my appetite. I'm also supposed to be mindful of carbohydrats but I'm not sure I eat enough to worry. I'm a vegetarian...actually I was vegan and it's killing me to eat meat, but the doctor says I need more protein. I like to exercise...mostly circuit training at Curves but my doctor said no, I should be doing cardio or the elliptical machine (its soooooo boring to me though) I don't think I'll be able to stick with it.
You do so much walking! That's great! I love to walk; it's so calming.
loves,
jenna
Hi Jenna,

I read some of your other posts, on the other boards, and have to say, hang in there. I have known several people over the years with EDs, some have done really well. I'm sure you know that you can make a perfect protein with beans and rice, so it doesn't have to be with meat, if that turns you off.

I would think that if Curves works for you, go for it. Doctors all have their different opinions. I guess yours just wants to be sure your working your heart muscle.
Good luck,
Julie
Old 04-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #10  

HI THIS IS SHIRLEYQ27 I AM NEW TO THE SIGHT I AM CURRENTLY ON METFORMIN 500MG A DAY I HAVE LOST 11 POUNDS IN 21 DAYS I Am on a 1600 calorie diet. i am so glad something i is working for once hope to have future success with this or i will take the next step of gastric bypass surgery. anyone else having success with this medicine for the long run love to hear about it that it actually works... thanks for listening
SHIRLEYQ27 is offline   Reply With Quote