PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #46  
WW Moderator

Milk Thistle is supposed to be good for the Liver...I can't remember what else. Noodles has a whole list of them! Gee, you ladies have me capitalizing Liver.

My liver seems to hurt much less than it did a year ago. Hopefully it is clearing up.
Thanks for sharing all this info. It's a pretty scary organ to have problems with and I feel alot better knowing that there are success stories.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:56 AM   #47  
Rattie Lover

Milk Thistle is WONDERFUL for the liver. I take it!!! I notice a big difference when I dont.

I will go get my trusty book and list what's good for Mr. Liver. I take so much now so routinely that I can't remember what I take for Mr. Liver except for the Milk Thistle! hehehehe

BRB!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:52 AM   #48  
Rattie Lover

Ok... I'm back with my trusty book...

Some of the things it says to eat are: Artichokes, Radishes, Carrot Juice, Beet Juice & "Green Juices" (as in throwing green veggies into the blender and making a drink). Bleah!! That doesn't sound appealing!! But hey I'll do it if it helps Mr. Liver.

Regarding Milk Thistle:

It says here...

"Milk thistle extract contains silymarin, a flavonoid that has been shown to aid in healing and re-building the liver. Silymarin has also been known to lower liver enzymes and reverse the kind of liver damage common in people with Hepatitis C. Some studies have found that milk thistle can cure liver cancer in rats. It can be taken in capsule or alcohol-free extract form. Follow directions on label."

ALLRIGHT!! Now I know what to give my rats if they have liver cancer!!

As for the Milk Thistle, I take 1 capsule daily at night before bedtime.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:48 AM   #49  
Rattie Lover

Ok, I dug up some good Mr. Liver information and I made a new thread out of it for ya.

I was thinking...do you think I should move the Mr. Liver info to the articles area or just leave it here for a bit for people to read and then move it or?? The more *I* read the more I wanted to re-clean out the fridge once more and get rid of stuff! Scarey to read all of that and think of all the things that affect the liver!!! Poor Mr. Liver!!! We need to start treating our livers as a beloved pet instead of an organ...ya know like a puppy dog or kitten (or in my case a rat ) so it gets lots of TLC. Maybe even give it a name besides Mr. Liver!! hahahaha

(ya ya..call me crazy! I know ya wanna.. )
Old 03-18-2004, 03:29 AM   #50  
Rattie Lover

Now...I forgot to tell ya all what I take for my Mr. Liver...

I take the following:

Milk Thistle

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Amino Acids (I am almost out of the individual ones..after I run out, I am going to buy the bottle that has all of the essentials combined into one pill. Then I don't have to carry around 5 pills and look like a friggin drug addict. )

Multivitamin & Vitamin B Complex
(I rotate these...I take a B one day...then Multi the next day.)

Vitamin E (Only the 400 IU dosage though. I also use Vitamin E for rashes, itchy spots, etc. Just pop open the pill with a pin head and rub onto booboo/rash/whatever. Works great and it's cheap!! Oh and you can also use Vitamin E oil as a "lubricant" for those down there areas as well. It's much easier on your female anatomy than most of the other things they have out there!! )

Calcium (I take the Caltrate 600 Plus Chewables. 1 a day unless I drink some milk that day. These have alot of the minerals and things your bones need combined together in one pill so you dont have to hunt down each mineral in a pill form. Plus they taste great!! I hate swallowing calcium pills so the chewables are the way to go, IMO. There's no way I'm going to swallow yet another horse pill after the vitamin B pill and most calcium pills are BIGGER than Vitamin B.)

Flax Oil Seed (My choice for an essential oil. They are a big pill but are easy to take cause they just slide right on down the esophagus... )
Acidophilis Lactobacillus---AKA The "Good" bacteria for your colon. (I take 1 a day in the chewable form unless I eat a yogurt that day.)

Garlic (I take 1 garlic pill a day, regardless if I had garlic that day or not. I LOVE garlic and I truly believe in all of the herbal remedy stuff they say garlic does.)

I am pretty in tune now to when my liver is distressed, and when that happens I resort to my liver detox green tea drink. I can tell you this stuff is EXCELLENT!! I wake up feeling like someone washed me from inside out and energized. It's amazing. I have also read that regular green tea will also do this, but I have not yet tried just the reg. green tea to detox. I'm loyal to the liver detox green tea. I get it at my local Oriental market.

Phew...That's it!! I hope I didn't bore you all to tears!! If so, here's the kleenex!
Old 03-18-2004, 04:01 AM   #51  
Rattie Lover

Well...I finally wore my "Stubs" T-shirt today!! Wore it to the bowling alley!! It's a little big, though, but I love it anyhow!!

After "Stubs" passed on, hubby drew him in a cartoon form for me so I could get a tattoo of him. Well, I opted out of the tattoo for now but I did want a T-Shirt, so when the mother-in-law came to town, she brought her T-Shirt making kit and we cranked out a few shirts. The design you see there is all my husbands original work...of the best rat who ever walked the earth, minus two back feet.

The rat you see on my shoulder is Roo, my sweet young dumbo-eared boy who is also missing a limb and fingers. But he doesn't know that so I'm not going to tell him...

Old 03-18-2004, 05:42 AM   #52  

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the liver info, much appreciated. Nice t-shirt, talented hubby!
Have a great day!

Jenaya
Old 03-19-2004, 02:25 AM   #53  
Rattie Lover

Yer welcome!! I enjoy researching about stuff like this. I should of went to nursing school...too old now...they might give me a cane or something to walk with to classes. hahahahaa

Hey did you notice the liver article got over 300 views in less than 24 hours?! Now if only those lurkers would post!! Come on...come visit us!! We're cool!!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #54  

Noodles: No way you're too old for nursing school. My SIL was 43 when she started, as a mid-life career change, and she's doing great now. There's such a high demand for nurses, as I'm sure you know. My mother, aunt, and best friend were/are nurses, it's a great career if that's your calling.

And BTW, when you get really sick of the heat, you can come up here to the great Pacific Northwest for a nice sail and a Mariner's game. We're going to win the series, it's just a matter of time!

P.P.S. Randy Johnson looks SOOOOO much better without the mullet, lol!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:29 PM   #55  
Rattie Lover

Thanks, Seek!!

I have seriously been thinking about going back for some time now. The new season starts in August. This would give me time to prepare. I will pick up a nursing textbook at a thrift store and sit there for hours reading...soaking it all in like a sponge. The good thing about being a nurse is I can work the NIGHT shift...The shift almost no one wants. hahaha

I lived up there for 8 years...I will admit I do miss the summers. They were short but beautiful!! I try go get up there every July or August when the monsoons come here..this way I escape the 100% humidity here for the 97% humidity there.

Yeah, Randy looks good now huh!! Too bad we canned Curt Schilling... But that's ok he went to one of my other favorite teams so..maybe they'll actually WIN a series this time.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:18 AM   #56  

Noodles, thanks for the Rogaine info and all the liver info. I will definitely check into Milk Thistle!!! I am looking at going back to school as well at UNC- Chapel Hill and got information on the BSN program there!! Good luck on your program. What exciting times!!!

I hope everyone is doing well and having wonderful weekends. Life got really busy for me so I was unable to pop online much. How is everyone doing?!?!?!
Old 03-21-2004, 11:39 AM   #57  

Hi Noodles I think we met when you first became the moderater. I have a question for ya because you seem to know about natural cures likes herbs and things for the body. I have always had this problem, sorry if it its TMI, but I try to low carb having pcos, but still eating healthy carbs like beans and bran cereal. But I just can't seem to get my system moving. I have tried fibercon, metamucil(makes me sick to my stomach). I do take a couple of meds so I think that has something to do with it. Just wondering if you had some ideas. Thanks Noodles! Julie Btw congrats on your weight loss!
Old 03-21-2004, 12:40 PM   #58  
WW Moderator

Hi Julie, are you counting your fiber daily? Are you getting at least 25 grams a day? Also, are you getting soluble and insoluble fiber? Make sure that you are getting something like oats in your diet. I pour raw oats on my All Bran in the morning and eat it with milk. Raw oats mixed in lowfat vanilla yogurt is good, also.

Are you getting enough water? You need to have lots of water to keep your bowels moving. I read an article recently on the types of fiber and why you need both - I will find it and post it here. I think it was from an Irritable Bowel Syndrome website. I'll be back!
Old 03-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #59  
WW Moderator

Ok, I found two good articles. This one is from StorkNet:

http://www.storknet.com/ip/nutrition...nts/fiber.html

I won't copy and paste because it has a large table with soluble and insoluble fiber counts.

Here is the IBS page I talked about earlier. It also has a list of foods for good colon health!

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
Old 03-21-2004, 06:05 PM   #60  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbm
Hi Noodles I think we met when you first became the moderater. I have a question for ya because you seem to know about natural cures likes herbs and things for the body. I have always had this problem, sorry if it its TMI, but I try to low carb having pcos, but still eating healthy carbs like beans and bran cereal. But I just can't seem to get my system moving. I have tried fibercon, metamucil(makes me sick to my stomach). I do take a couple of meds so I think that has something to do with it. Just wondering if you had some ideas. Thanks Noodles! Julie Btw congrats on your weight loss!

Hi there!!

I learned a valuable lesson trying to take over-the-counter fiber. Either you drink ALOT of water with it...And I mean alot..or it plugs you up worse. I was taking Fiber pills and the 1 day I didn't drink enough water I got plugged up and lemme tell ya... I was in dire pain!! The DR. told me don't take that stuff if I dont have too and instead find my fiber in real foods. So now I eat dried prunes. But I also eat alot of other fruits and veggies and oats, brans, flax oil, etc. They are great for keeping your gastrointestional tract moving and also great for keeping everything else healthy-flowing as well.
Closed Thread