PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:23 AM   #1  

Default PCOS relief by using the Pill?

Girls,

I wonder if there's anyone out there that can help me with the following question concerning PCOS symptome relief, in this case almost immediate weight loss and starting on the pill again.
I must stress that I do not live in the States and here in Greece most Gynecologists do not even know what PCOS is so please bear with me.
I'm 33 now, and was at my heaviest just befor I started on the Pill (several brands), because of medical reasons when I was 19. I'd been on the pil for about 10 years when i stopped a few months. I can't really remember, but think I must have gained weight during that 6 month period, about 20 pounds total. I was off the pill again for about 1 1/2 year until recently, after consulting my gyn, who thought a break off the pill would do my body good, and who I am very happy with otherwise. During that time I have gained more than 30 pounds, despite being very sportive and active and despite eating ok on the whole.
I started on the pill again about 3 weeks ago and have lost at least 10 pounds since then (of which 7 the last week!) without being really strict in my food plan and without changing my training routine significantly. I do have Polycyctic Ovarians and a slightly irregular menstruation cyclus (3-6 weeks)
As there's nobody I can ask around here, or at this point do the complete PCOS tests has anyone else experienced this side effect on PCOS using the Pill or has it been documented anywhere else?

greetings to all, wherever you are,

Greekgirl
Old 07-08-2003, 09:59 AM   #2  

I experienced the opposite actually. Progesterone exacerbates insulin resistance and it did cause rapid weight gain for me. When I went off the bcp my weight started to come off a bit and glucophage made it come off even faster.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:54 AM   #3  

Default Depends on the Pill

Whether you lose or gain while on The Pill depends on the type of pill. Some pills, like Yasmin, promote weight loss.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:33 PM   #4  

Actually mine was yasmin, which was the worst pill for me. Af never came the whole year I was on it, just discharge, Im a rare cyster with low estrogen till I went on herbs.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Greekgirl, I have the same exact thing going on right now. I have been off the pill almost 2 years, on many different kinds before that with no results. Finally, my period went away and I gained about 30 pounds. Then, it came back with a vengeance last June. I was still holding the high weight, despite careful dieting. About 4 months ago, I got my gyn to prescribe me yet another pill (cause the progesterone shot was doing me noooooo good) and within 3 days not only was my bleeding under control, but I seemed to lose a LOT of fluid from my hands and feet. Within a week my clothes were fitting looser. Upon going back to the doc 3 months later I had lost 27 pounds. This was amazing because I haven't been dieting as strictly and was in fact NOT exercising at all. He just shrugged, asked if I was upset to be losing instead of gaining, told me to take it as a good thing. Apparently he finally found the right mix of estrogen to progesterone and to monitor the situation. What he didn't say was I could sure stand to lose a few pounds and why the he!! was I complaining! Anyway, most of your weight loss (the 7 pounds in a week) was probably water retention that's finally going away. If you're really losing too much too fast, mention it to your doc. Something might have changed with your metabolism, your thyroid, anything. Keep an eye on it and good luck to you!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:02 AM   #6  

hello girls,

thanks for your help! The pill that I'm on now is called Harmonette (here) and does not have any progesterones, but ethynilestradiol and gestodene (can't remember the dose though) as only compounds. It seems to be working very well for me. Other hormonal compounds mostly seem to make me depressed if nothing else. It seems that at least in the case of Goodforme above and possibly myself (will keep you posted), Pill regulation may have been a factor in obtaining a better hormonal balance and losing weight. It's worth to have a look at anyway and ask your GP.
Please keep adding to this thread if news.

Gia sas (=Greetings) to all from Athens, Greece

Greekgirl
Old 09-10-2003, 08:30 AM   #7  

Hello all, just to let you know:

It's been a while since I started on the pill again, and it has helped me A LOT. I am slowly losing the weight I gained (about 4 pounds per month), and able to keep to my food plan, although I have to admit that it went down the drain about 2 weeks as I was on vacation. I feel better and function better and have more energy.

I hope my experience will help some of you out there too.
The best,

Greekgirl, Athens, Greece
Old 09-15-2003, 01:02 AM   #8  
WW Moderator

Hey Greekgirl! I am glad that the pill is working for you. I also gained weight on my vacation this summer.

Did you vacation in Greece? My parents will be in Athens for 2 weeks in April. That is their favorite place in the world. They love the islands as well. I also think they look very beautiful and peaceful. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place!
Old 09-18-2003, 04:12 PM   #9  
Amy Needs New Shoes

HI! I had the same problem as Autumn. I have PCOS related high blood pressure (Imagine finding out you have high blood pressure at 24!) and my doctors actually took me off of ortho-tricyclen because I gained a tremendous amount of weight and my bp skyrocketted. Apparently estrogen does that to some people. Now I'm on ortho-micronor. Supposed to be safe enough for women nursing. It doesn't the estrogen like other pills. But my pharmacy rumored that it will not be manufactured anymore. I have to find out if that is true or they just don't want to carry it since most people use other pills.
Closed Thread