PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:06 AM   #16  

Hi, does anyone know if a weight loss can help excess hair growth? Thanks
Old 08-26-2003, 07:06 PM   #17  

jbbm,

I think its the glucophage that helps that side effect of PCOS. It should become alot less but not sure if it will go away completely. I know I still have it. I wish it would GO AWAY!! Good luck

Jennifer,

It was my pleasure typing all of that diet. I just hope it helps everyone. Good luck
Old 08-26-2003, 11:32 PM   #18  
WW Moderator

jbbm, like Cassandra said, the Glucophage helps with the symptoms. Also, when you lose weight, your insulin resistance will be improved, and insulin is just one of the hormones that go wacky with PCOS, like testosterone and androgens, which cause the hair growth. Losing weight will subside some of the symptoms in some patients. I'm not sure if it is from some chain reaction of hormones or another reason, but at least it is hope!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:48 PM   #19  

I have done fairly well on SugarBusters. I could not lose on Atkins. I think being hypothyroid contributes to my slow weight loss. As long as I stay away from sugar, and the whites, and take my glucophage, I lose really slowly.

Cassandra: Howdy neighbor! I live in the Norcross/Duluth area. I see you are from Atlanta too. I have heard of Rachel Brandeis. My doctor sends his patients to her some. The diet you posted is very similar to SugarBusters.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:27 PM   #20  

monet 320,
Oh my gosh, it is so nice to find someone that is that close. I actually live in Griffin. It is about 40 miles south of Atlanta. You would not believe that I was fixing to make a thread called "does anybody live in Ga." I really hope to get to know you better!

Be good,
Cassandra
Old 08-30-2003, 02:40 AM   #21  
Rattie Lover

That diet actually looks reasonable and easy to follow! Yippee!!

As for the hair thing..my doc. told me that the hair growth wont go away, but it will slow down with treatment for PCOS. He said that's because the follicles for the hair are already there and growing hair and regardless of what you do that the hair will still grow out of the follicle. He said if you want to get rid of it permanently, to get either lazer or electrolysis on those areas. I've been thinking about it but at $50 a side/area x3 to 4 treatments, it will cost me a fortune to get permanently de-fuzzed! I rather use that $ to put into my business and live with my Venus razor for now.

Last edited by Noodles913; 08-31-2003 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:40 AM   #22  
WW Moderator

For hair removal, check PCOS doctors near you. My office does hair removal at a discount to their patients. They do it for the PCOS'ers, and charge just enough to cover the cost of the equipment and the salary of the technician.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:04 AM   #23  
Rattie Lover

Good Idear. I'm going to beg my Endocrinologist and GYN now. I know he does that sorta thing too so...he should cut me a deal right? I hope I hope! hehehe..Too bad insurance doesn't cover it for me. They consider it "cosmetic". Maybe someday they'll change their mind.

Noodles
Old 09-05-2003, 09:24 PM   #24  
wsw

Thanks Cassandra B for writing out that diet. It helps.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #25  

I hope everyone does well on it. I have to admitt, I would slap someone for a Nacho Cheese Gordita from Taco Bell.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #26  
Rattie Lover

I just want some chocolate..
Closed Thread