PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/264/140

Height: 5'9"

Default PCOS-IR and Ideal Protein newbie

I was diagnosed last year with PCOS and have recently discovered that I am insulin resistant as well. In addition I have an under active thyroid and low vitamin d levels oh yeah and I also have a heart murmur.

SO my doctors have urged me try the Ideal Protein diet to lose weight. I don't want to spend 85 a week, and can't really afford to either. I have seen alternatives on this site and have come up with a meal plan of sorts.

Breakfast protein shake (used site suggested alternative)
coffee or tea
water

Lunch
8 oz protein
2 cups veg from phase 1 list
water
(also getting salt and oil here)

Dinner
Shake
water
2 cup veg from list

I am sure that there are threads that already exist but I am a little overwhelmed at that size of the site! SO my questions are:

1. Would someone on ideal protein review my version and tell me if they think it will work given what they know from doing the diet?

2. Difficulties I can expect as someone with PCOS-IR and what did you do to overcome them?

3. Supplements, my doctor gave me a list like Vitex and progesterone but what else do you use and recommend?

4. Exercise, how much do I have to do? I can't go in the sun with the meds I take or it causes a reaction, I need alternatives and low impact ideally.

Thanks in advance for info anyone cares to share. I really appreciate the help. I am so completely overwhelmed. Pickle
Picklebears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I don't do the Ideal Protein diet, but I've heard of it.

I don't think you need to do the program, although I'm sure the program can offer you structure that you may not have today.

Some general advice, not related to IP Diets.

You're an experiment of one, so you may have to adjust and adapt as you figure out what works for your body. Be open to changes.

There are a bunch of other supplements you can take -- run them by your doctor in case you have any interactions. Vitamin D seems like an easy one that you need if you can't be out in the sun and if you have PCOS/IR you probably are deficient. Ask for a test if you want to make sure. There are other supplements you can take like zinc and magnesium that have been found to be deficient in people with IR.

In terms of exercise, do what you can -- it's good in helping managing your IR. Lifting weights or weight-bearing exercise is really the best for IR, but any exercise you do is good.

Good luck. Even if diet is all you can handle right now, that's a big step forward. Drink a lot of water -- higher protein diets require more water.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I have all those even down to the heart murmur! Wow!

I had to be on prescription D -- I was that low. My current list is thyroid med, metformin, multivitamin, fish oil, extra D, B12, cal-mag, inositol.

I don't know anything about IP. This spring I took the PCOS Diva Jumpstart class online though and that helped reorganize my food.

I feel good on a 40-30-30 type plan. Definitely protein + produce, go easy on the grains. Having new recipes helps. I was in a rut.

http://pcosfaq.com/

Maybe that helps you as you form your plan?

Hang in there!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote