PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #1  

Exclamation Advice needed! 15 with pcos

Hi, I’m seeking experience for those that have dealt with symptoms like mine. I’m 15, but I was diagnosed at 13 when I first started my period. It’s not surprising since my mother and sister also have pcos. However, I have the worst symptoms of everyone. I would go 6 months without a period and then 2 periods in one month. It was horrible. My periods were 8 days on a good day and I went through 2 pads every hour... There were many days I had to stay home from school because it was so bad. To treat this, I was put in birth control, but after 4-5 different types, I was still bleeding every day. Next, I was put on the depo shot, which I’m still on after 15 months. I gain around 10-15 pounds with every shot. I had no idea this would happen when I first got the shot. It controls all of the bleeding and I’m very thankful for that. My doctor and I have agreed to get off of the shot because Ive gained so much weight (diet is not the issue). I’ve gained 40 entire pounds in the past 8 months. I’m shocked and I don’t know what else to do?? What pill will control the bleeding and symptoms without me having to have a period? I was offered an iud which I’m way too nervous to do. I’ve heard many bad things about them. I’ve been on high dose regular and combination pills. I really need to lose weight. I’m insulin resistant too. My blood work came back that I’m not pre-diabetic but my liver enzymes were elevated and that means slight fatty liver? I’m really at a loss. Please tell me anything that helped you lose weight and control your period. Thank you!

Last edited by LJ2002; 04-06-2018 at 10:55 PM.
LJ2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 14 - I'm now 38 - and if someone told me how to control my PCOS I would have done it in a heartbeat. My symptoms were similar to yours and got progressively worse over the years. I would skip a period for 4,5,6 months and then bleed HEAVY periods for 8-10 weeks straight. The weight piled one no matter how healthy I ate. I finally came to a breaking point and went to see my Internist. I thought I needed gastric bypass because I knew the key to PCOS was weight management. My doctor ran a bunch of tests and my hemmoraging of blood was killing me - All of my mineral levels came back at trace levels, my EkG was questionable, and he wanted to give me a transfusion because I was so low. I was desperate, but before I had surgery I knew there was one thing I had not tried. I had never given up carbs.

I immediately went on a KETO diet 2 years ago/ Within 6 months my hormones stabilized and I began having normal periods. I was also seeing my OB/GYN. Before I started keto, my ovaries looked like bunches of grapes - when I went in 8 months later, only 3 cysts remained. Not eating carbs controlled my PCOS. Since then, I've lost 102 pounds. I still have 75 or so to go, and it is coming off much more slowly, but I will never overeat carbs again. I have learned that my body just can not process them correctly because of the PCOS and Insulin Resistance.

I also got a mirena IUD - I am done having children though - on the advice of my OB/GYN (who specializes in PCOS). He explained that we are at a higher risk for uterine cancer and Mirena helps guard against that.

Good luck - I know how overwhelmed you must feel. PCOS is awful - it is a silent disease that doesn't have a cure, but we can manage it!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#depo #teen