PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #1  

Default hair thinning

has anyone experienced hair thinning and what has helped?

Last edited by peaceandlove10; 02-19-2014 at 10:10 AM.
peaceandlove10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #2  

What is the hair thinning from? I only had thinning when my medications were way off and I needed adjustment, but what is your specific disorder?
icantbelieveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

I looked it up in my old PCOS book by Thatcher (as I haven't taken any medication for it) and he is pro-birth control pills to balance your hormones and stop the thinning hair. The book also suggests Rogaine.

I was curious about taking silica-- http://www.livestrong.com/article/33...thinning-hair/
Silica is a trace mineral, and while your body needs only a small amount, that amount is essential for your health, including that of your skin and scalp, says Vital Health Zone. This mineral helps to strengthen your blood vessels and improve circulation, which can stimulate the blood flow to your scalp and encourage growth. It also is a necessary component of your skin’s connective tissues and helps to strengthen your bones, nails and hair.

Last edited by veggiedawg; 02-21-2014 at 12:50 PM.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 450?/450?/200

Height: 6'0

That is really interesting about the silica. I have horrible hair thinning with PCOS, I really hate it.
mysticalsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I haven't had PCOS, but I've had hair loss due to weight loss and menopause. Switching to Nizoral shampoo really helped.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-los...ments/nizoral/

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

For me it is the elevated androgens from PCOS. Only thing to get it better is to get those hormones better!

I'd tried spironolactone in the past, but right now I'm going with d-chiro-inositol and working with my endoc with the rest -- thyroid meds, glucophage, vitamin D, vitamin b12, the inositol (used to be called b8). Giving it time. Not wearing a long hairstyle in the meanwhile.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
For me it is the elevated androgens from PCOS. Only thing to get it better is to get those hormones better!
Nizoral works because the anti-fungal agent (ketoconazole) is a topical androgen antagonist. It works in the hair follicles which are otherwise inhibited by the androgens.

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Good to know -- thanks!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

Of all of the symptoms I had, the beginnings of hair loss was the one that kicked my butt into gear. I just... I just couldn't go bald.

I'm sure you've read about different diet approaches - I combined a particular shampoo (Avalon Organics Biotin B-complex Thickening Shampoo) with fiercely watching my diet. The blood sugar had to stay stable. I was also drinking FertiliTea with a cinnamon stick, which kept me having regular periods (and probably by extension moderated androgens. Just a guess.)

My hair is good now - no thin spots. And obviously I am not having fertility problems anymore, either.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 450?/450?/200

Height: 6'0

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! I am really at the point where I am contemplating a wig....that is how bad my hair loss is.
mysticalsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote