PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #1  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Default Fewer pounds, more pain?

When I was about 200 lbs, I had ridiculously irregular periods and they'd sometimes go on for months at a time, but in general they weren't especially painful. I found out about my PCOS when I went to the doctor complaining of a 3 month long bleeding streak. It hurt some, but it wasn't horrendous, just messy and annoying.

My endocrinologist and OBGYN both told me that birth control would be a good idea, so I started on that about 2 years before starting to lose weight. It helped keep the 2-monthers in check, but didn't entirely regulate when things decided to happen. At this point, I get my unwelcome visitor the Wednesday of my placebo line every month...the only issue is that it comes with excruciating pain. I like to think that I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but I just had to call out of work.

Anyone else have this issue? Any tips other than curling around a hot water bottle in the fetal position for making it suck less? (Ibuprofen and acetaminophen laugh in my general direction at this point)

Thanks in advance.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

YES! I totally had this issue pre-kids. And I ended up finding out I had PCOS because of those endless bleeds. The doctor explained that it wasn't a true period--the lining was collapsing but not actually shedding thoroughly.
These times were not painful just scary. (pass the iron please!)

So, now with the birth control, your body is actually doing what it supposed to.

I also had painful times (again not consistently) when I was off birth control, but I think those were times that my body actually ovulating and working right.

I'm no real help with the pain relief, although a friend of mine had a prescription for something more heavy duty...not sure what it was. Maybe ask you doctor next time?

Feeling for you!

Last edited by veggiedawg; 03-27-2014 at 12:55 PM.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #3  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Well I'm certainly glad to know that it's not just me.

My poor boyfriend is a saint and stayed home trying to make me feel better and listening to me whine about how it's not fair for a reproductive system I never intend to use causes this much of an inconvenience every month. I just moved to a new state, so I'm in the process of finding a new set of doctors, but I'll need to see if they have any recommendations.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote