PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Default PCOS and Mind-Fog, Ditzy-ness

So my brain fog and ditziness is getting pretty bad... I notice when my PCOS symptoms really flair (and I have a nice old 10-30lb weight gain) my intelligence and ability to focus go WAY down. And I have a friggin master's degree and work in book publishing. I NEED to be on top of my game and have to read loads of text everyday... and CANNOT make a mistake.

Lately I've been making a ton of mistakes that are scaring me. Even outside of work, my husband is concerned with some things I'm doing... like stuffing more trash into an overflowing kitchen trash can.

It seems like I'm being lazy/inconsiderate/careless. But I assure you I have no idea why I'm doing these things. It's almost like I'm going a little insane. :P

My mom has PCOS (the skinny version) and sometimes she'll do something that seems "careless" and pay a bill twice... or do something else that's kind of embaressing and seems she's being 'incompetent'.

It really concerns me... not only because how it looks to my boss and colleagues but also it frightens me that I could do such "stupid" things.

This is a weird post from the norm, but has anyone else experienced this? My hormones are not controlled yet, and I'm working diligently to control my PCOS. My mom's natural hormone replacement doctor said yes, hormone imbalances will make you "stupid"!!! Do you think there's a way I can fix this so it doesn't hurt my professional reputation? I'm just so embaressed and disappointed in myself with these mistakes that look like I just don't care about my job, but I certainly do. I feel like I'm losing brain cells!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/220

Height: 5'10"

I've never experienced this... I mean I've certainly had my share of dumb moments but there's always been reasons for them, mostly lack of sleep or thinking about other things and not paying attention. That being said I do not think my pcos is that bad as far as symptoms are concerned.

I'd talk to my doctor if I was you. You aren't complaining because you have to pluck more hair from your chin, your talking about having issues in daily functioning. To me that would be worrisome.
JeniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle125 View Post
So my brain fog and ditziness is getting pretty bad... I notice when my PCOS symptoms really flair (and I have a nice old 10-30lb weight gain) my intelligence and ability to focus go WAY down. And I have a friggin master's degree and work in book publishing. I NEED to be on top of my game and have to read loads of text everyday... and CANNOT make a mistake.

Lately I've been making a ton of mistakes that are scaring me. Even outside of work, my husband is concerned with some things I'm doing... like stuffing more trash into an overflowing kitchen trash can.

It seems like I'm being lazy/inconsiderate/careless. But I assure you I have no idea why I'm doing these things. It's almost like I'm going a little insane. :P

My mom has PCOS (the skinny version) and sometimes she'll do something that seems "careless" and pay a bill twice... or do something else that's kind of embaressing and seems she's being 'incompetent'.

It really concerns me... not only because how it looks to my boss and colleagues but also it frightens me that I could do such "stupid" things.

This is a weird post from the norm, but has anyone else experienced this? My hormones are not controlled yet, and I'm working diligently to control my PCOS. My mom's natural hormone replacement doctor said yes, hormone imbalances will make you "stupid"!!! Do you think there's a way I can fix this so it doesn't hurt my professional reputation? I'm just so embaressed and disappointed in myself with these mistakes that look like I just don't care about my job, but I certainly do. I feel like I'm losing brain cells!
How is your blood sugar levels?

When your A1C is high or your general blood glucose levels are uncontrolled, some of the symptoms that appear are related to the brain -- memory loss, fog, etc.

If your PCOS symptoms are acting up at the same time, it may be related to IR and your A1C being too higher. I just read today that even when your A1C reaches 5.6 (which is borderline normal) you can still exhibit cognitive symptoms.

I don't know if you have a regular doctor that can give you the blood tests to check or if you already know where you stand. You might want to control your blood sugars too see if it improves the symptoms.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #4  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

This!!! Totally me and my a1c was 5.1. Higher than I want but still "normal"
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #5  

The rock afore stands stout;

My horse sways left and right,
-------------------------------------------
fifacoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'8

I totally know what you are talking about. I remember a few incidents at work where I was utterly confused and growing frustrated because I didn't understand how I could be so stupid. I have managed to earn three degrees, but doing a simple math equation was beyond me.

A co-worker knew that I was on metformin and spironolactone and asked if I had spoken with my doctor later. According to my doctor, it was because I wasn't eating enough protein to counterbalance the medication. I needed to eat regular meals and increase the amount of protein that I munch on throughout the day. I started keeping a container of almonds on my desk to eat. I found that helped me.
Cranky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #7  
Tofu tolerator

S/C/G: 164/155/140

Height: 5'3.75

Wow this is interesting. I've always had a phenomenal memory, practically never had to study in college and high school. Now for the past two years, as things really started changing in my body I can't remember crap. I can't remember classmates last names, favorite artists or names to songs, sometimes appt's. Worst part is you know the answer but you can't grasp it from your memory. I work with a high field magnet and people say that can mess with your memory but that's suspected after 30 yrs...not two. I work in healthcare so I CAN NOT make stupid forgetful mistakes but sometimes I'm worried, always double and triple checking things with my patients.

I'll have to try increasing my protein. I already know my blood sugar is being a pain past couple months. Already dropped sweets, alcohol, and most carbs from my diet. I'll pay more attention to how this affects me and get back to you
tofutolerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

i used to experience really bad brain fog when I worked as journalist, I often felt stupid or incompetent and never knew why it was. I was really unhappy in that job and with myself, and even when I went to the doctor they said it was just me.

I've been on the paleo diet for the past year and I've noticed that cutting out sugar and gluten has really helped my brain fog. On days when I binge or eat too much sugar I get really bad brain fog the next day.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote