PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Default Insulite PCOS system

Hi all,

Today I get my first package from Insulite Labs. I ordered their PCOS system of supplements. I will reporting exactly everything I feel when taking them. I know there is some skepticism about them- I've read them on other boards. But right now I'm desperate becaue my symptoms are flaring up despite diet and exercise. My facial and body hair is outta control, my acne is flaring up, and my mood and energy is just terrible. I've been off birth control for 3 months, so that's why this is all coming back. And I don't want to go back on BC.

I am giving Insulite a try because my mom has mild PCOS and is seeing a nutritionist, and most of the supplements she is taking are ingredients in the Insulite system. So, I figured it's no different than me going to Whole Foods and stocking up on different supplements- they've just put it all in a few pills for me (I hope this is the case!).

It's been about 3 months since my last period, and it was a natural one. I am afraid to go on Metformin because there is a disclaimer that says something like "metformin has not been proven to be superior to diet and exercise." But I AM doing the diet and exercise, so now what?

Anyway, I get the package today and I'll post any info I find in the box that I think would be useful, and ingredients, too. I'll let everyone know what happens. I'm seriously desperate at this point. I don't care if the month's supply I ordered is a waste of money- at least I can rule them out!!!

Oh, my weight loss is doing well on my own, and also exercise. But hair keeps growing and growing, and my mood is suffering, and my acne is horrendous... without changing anything in my diet. So, this is where I stand right now!

PS- I've noticed a HUGE increase in energy if I just force myself to drink at least 60oz of water a day. Before I wasn't doing it- just wasn't thirsty! But the experts are right... I do like 28oz in the a.m. with my coffee, then more throughout the day. Made a huge difference- I was surprised.

Last edited by Michelle125; 05-12-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I am eager to see how it goes for you. I am the opposite. My hair, mood, etc is fine but VERY minimal weight loss even with LOTS of cardio and no more than 1500 cals and at my weight...1500 cals should be shedding the fat quickly. So i am eager to see how it works for you.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Metformin has never claimed to be a superior to diet and exercise - it is to be used in addition to diet and exercise and is a very effective tool for some to get their blood sugar under control.

Good luck with the Insulite system - have heard very mixed reviews and hope you are one of the ones it works for. If you are dieting and exercising you should see an improvement anyway - regardless of supplements.

Last edited by witchyonadiet; 05-12-2008 at 08:59 PM.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #4  

So last night I opened the box and there are 4 bottles of supplements and a magazine-booklet thingie, about 30 pages long. This contains the diet, exercise, and addiction program (they talk about carb addiction). I've read just about every single diet book out there, as well as countless newsletters from 'gurus' and I was surprised that so far I've learned a lot about our condition from this little booklet. I could go on and on about what I've learned from it, but here's a little recap:

Women with PCOS have about 1/4 the insulin receptors on each cell than normal women. Which means that when normal women eat a slice of bread (even whole wheat) they burn (for instance) 3/4 of those carbs as fuel. When a PCOS woman eats that same slice of wheat bread, we STORE 3/4 of those carbs as FAT and only burn 1/4 of the bread. That was just such a good explanation for me, and the diagram they showed was very helpful.

But anyway, on to the supplements. I read the back of the bottles and there's nothing I don't recognize. A lot of it are herbs that have been prescribed to me by nutritionists, such as milk thistle, fenugreek, vitamin D, etc. (I just never kept up with the dosages, so I never saw results). There are no stimulants like green tea extract or ginseng. So, just seeing that met my approval. I was so sure I had wasted $119, but so far I'm VERY pleased with their organic advice and the organic ingredients in the pills. Like I said, there is nothing I don't recognize.

So 2 bottles contain pills I take 2x/day in-between meals, then the other 2 bottles I take 2x/day with meals. I am saving the meal pills for lunch and dinner, since those are the meals I tend to overeat and get cravings. Mornings are no problem for me- I could probably even skip breakfast (even though I don't). After breakfast I took my first dose of the in-between pills. It was 5 pills (3 is a dose from one bottle, then 2 from the other). I feel completely fine. I was afraid maybe my stomach would get upset or something, but could I seriously be having more energy? I think I feel more energy... I definitely feel very alert. I don't want to contribute that to the supplements just yet. But, so far so good!

So basically, it seems that the Insulite system is all the herbs that are traditionally recommended for PCOS and insulin problems, just conveniently put all together into a system. I really really like that the insulinX (sp?) supplements contains a lot of fenugreek. My nutritionist recommended I drink fenugreek tea when I got a sugar craving, and she swears by it. But it tastes like total cr@p, and I could never stick with that. So I'm glad that I can match up her recommendations with the ingredients in the supplements.

So far there is nothing fishy, and it actually seems like a very good thing they've done here. But I'll keep posting my experiences. They claim you should lose weight slowly with diet and exercise, about 1/2lb a week. It's good that they don't claim their supplements will make you lose weight. It's more about curing symptoms like excess hair, carb cravings, and getting a normal period.

I'm definitely keeping with my workouts, strength training, and diet. So any changes I see could be heavily influenced by the supplements. With all the healthy eating and exercising I've been doing, my symptoms are the worst they've ever been. My acne has never been this bad and I am plucking my face every morning. I hope this works!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #5  

Oh another really cool thing they talked about was food allergies. There are traditional allergies that have immediate effects like peanuts making your throat swell, etc. But then there are food allergies that we may not even know we have. The biggest allergens are dairy and wheat, and symptoms could be that the allergen raises your mood through brain endorphins and makes you crave that food even more. I was really surprised when I read this since I thought food allergie meant an upset stomach later on or a stuffy nose a few hours later. But these allergens might just trigger our addictive chemicals in our brain, making us crave and crave and crave.

I know that I could eat endless wheat and dairy, and when I do eat it, it's like a 'high'. It tastes so good and makes me feel satisfied. Now, I want to be completey vegan b/c I know the health horrors of dairy, and that I should not be consuming any of it whatsoever. And I'm pretty sure I do have an allergy to it since after I have it my nose will be a little stuffy for the next 24 hours. But I could eat cheese 24/7, hands down. Ick!!!

It's just good to think about if you eat a food you know you shouldn't, but feel better after you eat it, it might just be wreaking havoc in our bodies more than we think, then setting us up for more cravings later.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #6  

Default T'ai Chi Could Help Diabetics Control Their Sugar Levels

Insulite sent me this article today- it's pretty cool. I may join a new gym so I hope maybe they have some Tai Chi!

T'AI CHI COULD HELP DIABETICS CONTROL THEIR SUGAR LEVELS

Traditional Chinese martial arts exercises like T'ai Chi could help Diabetics better manage their blood sugar levels.

Researchers found that a 12-week program of T'ai Chi, which is taught in classes all over the United States, led to a "significant" fall of 8% in blood sugar levels in those suffering from obesity-linked Type 2 Diabetes.

A study carried out by Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Taiwan also discovered that the exercises boosted the body's immune system. This is important because an improved immune system damps down chronic inflammation of the body's internal organs, which is associated with Diabetes.

In a separate study, researchers from the University of Queensland in Australia found that a 12-week program of T'ai Chi and Qigong - another Chinese exercise - resulted in a significant fall in blood glucose levels in a dozen middle-aged to older adults.

The imbalance of blood glucose and insulin called Insulin Resistance in these individuals also improved significantly. Both studies were published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

T'ai Chi involves moderate exercise using flowing movements and deep breathing using the diaphragm. It is practiced by millions of Chinese daily as a way to maintain health into old age.

A regular exercise regime combined with a balanced, nutritious diet can help reverse an underlying cause of excess weight and obesity, which can lead to Insulin Resistance. By reversing this latter condition, you can facilitate weight loss.

If left unchecked, obesity can also lead to the cluster of increased risks for heart disease called Metabolic Syndrome (Syndrome X) as well as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - a leading cause of menstrual irregularity and infertility, acne and other skin conditions, excess facial hair and female hair loss. Overweight women do not have a monopoly on PCOS, however. Up to 50% of PCOS sufferers may be females who are of normal weight or even lean.

Overweight men are at greater risk of prostate cancer. Insulin Resistance-linked weight problems are also associated in both sexes with Type 2 Diabetes. Before the onset of this latter condition, however, most people develop reversible Pre-Diabetes, a condition in which blood sugar levels are elevated beyond normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes.

If ignored, Pre-Diabetes may lead to the Type 2 variety, which can only be managed for the rest of a person's life. Many Diabetics require daily injections of insulin.

Type 2 Diabetes severely increases the risk of blindness, amputation and kidney disease, as well as a heart attack or stroke. Some 90% of people with Type 2 also suffer from excess weight or obesity.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Interesting info! Thanks for sharing!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #8  

I ordered two months of this, am waiting for my shipment, I hope it makes a difference!
EleanorRigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #9  

Just an update- been on the system for 1 whole week now, and I've seen a definite difference in my mood in the last few days, AND I'm eating healthier without really even thinking about it (aka, my cravings are much less?). I am pretty amazed. It took a few days for it to really get into my system, and today I just feel fabulous. I haven't altered my diet, just added the supplements to it. I think they are automatically making my diet better? I'll keep the updates coming. Don't want to contribute everything to the supplements just yet.

But if I skip a dose then double up it seems to have no effects on my body. My stomach is fine and there are no side effects for me.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #10  

I just got mine today... gonna start tomorrow and hope for the best! Keep updating us..
Old 06-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #11  
aka Zippy LiverFace

How's it going, Ladies?

Thanks for sharing your experiences and what you're learning here.
SolShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #12  

I'm actually doing really well, and found a combination that so far is working wonders. This combination is the Insulite Supplements and the Atkins Diet. I've been on Atkins before and never had results like this. This past week (my first week on Atkins) I dropped 5lbs (200lbs last Sunday, 194lbs by Thursday, then back up to 195lbs on Sunday- I ate too much cheese!).

Anyway, I'm finding that my cravings for carbs and sugar are almost non-existent. Before when I was on Atkins I got the cravings so bad I couldn't stick with it. This time it's like I have to get an alarm to tell me when to eat. So, I think it's the combination of both the supplements and the diet.

I'm making sure I'm getting lots of organic white lean proteins and fish, all low in salt (basically prepared myself, not pre-packaged), and high-fiber veggies. No fruit for now- I'll incorporate those later. Last week I ate too much cheese, and actually found myself craving sugar on the day I ate the most cheese (like 7oz of it). Once I stopped the cheese I felt great again.

I don't know if this is just my body, but any type of grains, no matter how organic and unrefined they are, give me cravings and make me hungrier. Anyone else find that? I wonder if that's a side effect of PCOS?

I'm going to order the 6-month supply of the supplements, and I'm looking forward to seeing at least another 3lbs go by this Sunday. (hopefully!)
Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #13  

Im frustrated. Im on the insulite, my calories are like 900 to 1200 a day (sometimes im just not that hungry) my carbs between 70 and 100 and im not losing...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #14  

Well Insulite isn't supposed to make you lose weight. The same thing was happening to me, until I brought my carbs down below 20 per day (net). I just don't think I can eat grain while I'm losing weight. Remember, with PCOS we store 3/4 of the carb calories we eat as fat, compared to a normal woman who stores 1/4 of those carb calories.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #15  

Omg, this morning I'm 192!!! Last Sunday, June 1, I weighed almost 201. 10 days later I'm down 8 pounds. Cutting the carbs WORKS!!! I guess it just makes sense since my body is now burning my own fat as fuel, instead of burning the calories I eat, then storing them.

Ugh, I forgot my Insulite pills and I'm at work. I hate when that happens. My appetite and mood are better when I'm on them. Will have to double up tonight. When I forget to take them I've found I can take all of them at once, lol. It's alot of swallowing!!!