PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/222/150

Height: 5'7

Post Pcos & Weight Gain?

After A Year Of Rapid Weight Gain And Trying To Figure Out Why( My Eating Habits Were Good, I Was Exercising And Not Losing A Pound, Diets Pills Etc) I Found A Possible Reason. Last Month I Did Not Get My Period And Leading Up To This Point I Have Had Serious Bloating, And Lower Abdominal Discomfort. I Took A Few Prego Tests And All Came Up Negative, Finally The Discomfort Got So Bad I Left Work Earlier And Went To A Doctor Who Referred Me To The Er, In Fear Of My Appendix Rupturing. They Did All Sorts Of Test And Did An Ultrasound And Found That It Was Not My Appendix But I Have Ovarian Cysts On Both Ovaries, A Lot More Then The Norm, With That Said He Also Implied That It Could Be The Reason For My Rapid Weight Gain So He Recommended I Start Birth Control Pills. I Started Levora And Have Been On It For A Couple Weeks And The Bloating Has Gone Down But I Wonder If I Will Lose Weight, Has Anyone Else Had Something Similar Happen? If So Please Tell Me. And To Add To It I Have Always Been Afraid Of Birth Control Because I Thought It Would Make Me Gain Weight.
FloridaGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #2  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

BCP is one of the first medications prescribed for women with PCOS. Why? Because our hormones aren't balanced. BCP can help balance our hormones out. Once our hormones are balanced we an lose weight. Why do we gain weight? Because our hormones are out of balance. Typically with too much estrogen and/or testosterone. This imbalance will cause rapid weight gain. I remember being 90 lbs when I was 9 then WHOOSH all of a sudden I remember being 260-270 at age 13. Yep age 13. I don't remember being any weight in between that EVER. Since regulating my hormones with weight loss and many multivitamins (I don't like the effects of BCP and it doesn't work the same way for me that it does for other women with PCOS) I have been able to lose an average of 8-12 lbs a month which is HUGE for someone with PCOS. I can't wait to get to my ultimate goal of 170 because with maintaining a healthy weight our PCOS can all but go away.

When I was first diagnosed with PCOS I was also diagnosed as insulin resistant. Eating a banana, an apple or any kind of fruit would make me sooooo sick. I had to chug water to thin my blood a bit. Now? 76 lbs later I can eat a banana or any piece of fruit and not get sick so I know my IR is better. I still have the hair growth, but not as much. Mainly my upper lip and chin now. My skin has lightened considerably and I feel so much better and more confident.

Good luck on your journey. Feel free to PM me if you need any help/advice. It's a long road I will admit but the results are SOOOO worth it!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Not all PCOS women gain weight. We come in at least 5 types of presentations. There are "thincysters."

Not all PCOS people get cyst-y either. I can't speak to that because mine are few and far between. But I am glad you got it checked out and found out why this is going on for you. I hope you start to feel better!

Check out the BCP article.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ills-pcos.html

Some BCP can aggravate androgens and insulin resistance in some -- esp if you are that type presentation of PCOS. Some people gain a bit and some do not gain at all on BCP -- people are different. I don't think I ever gained anything much on BCP.

Explore the rest of the forum. Hang in there with it -- a PCOS dx can feel overwhelming but neither does it have to be the end of the world. It will be ok and there's lots of support around here.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-15-2012 at 02:45 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Hello Floridagirl - Welcome! My doctor decided not to put me on bcp since there is a possibility that they would contribute to my weight problem. She said that because my androgens were high, she would put me on Spiro to try to level out the hormones. I've only been on it for a couple of weeks, but I'm really hoping it works because I do not want to be on bcp.

Last edited by PrettyMom09; 03-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/221/160

Height: 5'7"

I had a very simular experience! I did not have my period for two months (which is actually unusual for me since I had my sons.) My weight went from 215 to a whopping 240 in two months!! Once I started my period the weight did not go down a bit. I never changed my eating habits during the "weight gain." I am seeing my Gyno on the 27th so I can understand what happened. My weight is currently 221 because I have lost the additional 19 lbs from low-carb. I cannot wait to have answers for this problem.
twinboysplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #6  
Ms. Jewel.

S/C/G: 92Kg/84KG/68-70KG

Height: 167.5cm

i have PCOS with a montly period, although my period can change dates by up to 1 weeks difference, if that makes sense ... due to PCOS and a couple other reasons, (not looking aftermyself, eating too many tim tams and maccas, etc)
my weight is stubborn!! i havent been able to get/stay under 80 kilos for 3 years now.
i used to stay at 68 kilos, for about 5 years , then i just ballooned ,still SEXY, but ballooned and heaviest is 92kilos at the end of last year... prob about 84kilos now, and 2 years ago got down to 76kilos with HEAPS of exercise, I WOULD love to be 76kg, Target = 70kilos! oh what I would do to be slim and healthier again!

Last edited by lovelyjojo; 05-25-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Too many mistakes
lovelyjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: 5'1''

My weight ballooned from 120 to 160 in a year, but since I had just started university, my regular doctor just said it was tress and bad eating, when my period stopped she said it was my weight gain that caused it. Then the weight was because I wouldn't eat, so I switched doctors because she was unwilling to check if there was another problem with me. My second doctor asked me what qualifications I had to wonder if I had PCOS. Those experiences made me scared to go back to a doctor, however when I reached 200lbs, I decided I needed to do something, so I went to a new gyno who was pleased I was interested enough to come in with such a problem because most women he sees wait until they want to have a baby before they come in. Within weeks I was told that I'm insulin resistant, started on metformin and was referred to an endocrinologist because all of his efforts were not producing results he wanted. I'm really happy that a doctor took the interest in me and I'm now working and reading to figure out what is best for me to lose weight!
DanRae is offline   Reply With Quote