PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Default 2013 - February PCOS Support Thread

Hello ladies!

Welcome to the February 2013 PCOS support thread.

Feel free to join in the thread and share whatever is in your head, PCOS related or not.

There are lots of PCOS ladies here on 3FC, and this is a way of keeping in touch, even if we don't post on it every day.

So, let's get to our regular "starting" questions:

Who is here this month?
How are you?
How was last month?
How is your PCOS management last month?
What are you going to work on in February?

Last edited by Rana; 02-02-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #2  

I'll go first. I stick around this board because it's nice to know there's other women here who are struggling with the same thing and even if we're all different age groups and in different paths in treating our PCOS.

Who is here this month?

I am, but I'm totally procrastinating instead of working on my school project!

How are you?

Eh. Feeling fat. I'm still carrying around my extra 5 lbs that I gained over the holidays, which have me annoyed, frustrated, and clearly concerned they were not just "water" weight from eating too many carbs. Sadly, I wish I could say these were spent on really bad foods, but it wasn't. My family eats healthy and I just ate too much. I couldn't even blame the chocolate chocolate chip cake slice that someone posted on Facebook that looked delish.

How was last month?

Weight-wise, I just cemented the 5 lbs that I had gained over the holidays. Part of the problem is school, in the sense that I have been trying to meet deadlines and it keeps me from being proactive with my food, so I end up eating out. Sure, I may be picking "healthy" choices -- I don't do fast food anymore, period -- but it's still too much food. Ugh.

I did get my period, they have been pretty regular, which is good.

But I did notice that my hormones were out of whack at the end of January and my period was weird. I am convinced it's the extra five pounds and of course, the extra carby food I was eating. I got acne on my cheek, which I haven't gotten in ages since I clean up my food and got my hormones back to normal.

Yes, it's all signs that the food plan I was eating before -- Paleo -- was the key to some of this. I tried to do the Whole30 but that didn't last through the second day because I wasn't cooking due to school... blah blah blah blah excuses-cakes.

It's okay. I'm not binge-ing on cake or cookies, and I am definitively taking my supplements and eating as well as I can, but clearly not well enough with the 5 lb gain.

And we all know how hard it is to take weight off and damn it, it's always harder when you have to lose the weight you already lost in the first place.

Don't let yourself gain. Maintain it tooth and nail if you can.... even if you don't lose weight, just maintaining is such a win.

I joined the "Lose 10 LBS BY MARCH 1" challenge but I'm trying to see if I can lose the damn 5 lbs this time around.

I know it's a short month and I can't remember the last time I lost 5 lbs in one month, but I'm committed to setting this back. So, it's a win if I can lose some pounds in the process and I'll be ecstatic if I can drop the 5.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #3  
Believing

S/C/G: 271/265/150

Height: 5'3

This tread is a great idea, thanks for starting it. Five pounds for February is doable! Don't beat yourself up too much, it's all just part of it.

Who is here this month?

Me!

How are you?

I'm okay, but not great. As I posted on another thread, Metformin is giving me headaches and tiredness. But, hey, I'm doing pretty well with the supplements.

How was last month?

I only started 2 weeks ago. I have only had one weigh-in which I lost 6 pounds. I go again Monday, but I don't feel like I've lost anything else. I don't want to blame Metformin for everything, but I also feel bloated.

I haven't had a period in a long time. The doctor thinks this will being them back, but I have no idea how long that will take.

Since being newly diagnosed, I'm just trying to read as much as I can. There is still a lot I don't understand. I am on a physician guided low carb, supplement program. It's put my poor body into shock, I think!

Right now, I'm going week to week following a very rigid plan. In February, I'm going to add in foods with the supplements. My physician says I can start that anytime. As far as weight loss, I'd be joyful with 10lbs.

Last edited by Natalie42; 02-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Natalie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #4  
Calorie and Carb Counter

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Who is here this month?
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and to PCOS. I was diagnosed with PCOS via ultrasound on January 8 and Type 2 Diabetes on January 21. I started Metformin on January 28. Right now I'm taking 500mg twice a day, but my doctor will be upping it to 1000mg twice a day sometime soon.

How are you?
I'm doing well all things considered. It was kind of a rough month, but I'm trying to stay positive. I'm very lucky to have a supportive husband through all of this.

How was last month?
I've really been making an effort to get healthy. I started limiting portions on January 15 and began counting calories January 21. I try to exercise 30 minutes everyday but at least 5 times a week. I've gone from 240 pounds to 233 pounds already! I know the weight won't come off this fast all the time, but the quick start has me feeling hopeful.

I've done fairly well trimming back my carb intake. It's tough sometimes as I love my bread and pasta! Also, I'm Filipino and pretty much grew up eating rice at every meal.

I'm trying to learn to balance my cravings with my health goals. When I was diagnosed, I pretty much ate only grilled meat and salads for a couple of weeks. I've always been the type that wants to eat something different at every meal and will often crave something specific like sushi or egg foo young, so I need to learn to deal with that. I'm trying to keep myself in check by working in those cravings in limited portions. I just need to make sure I don't get carried away!
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Who is here this month?

Me! Thanks for rounding us up, Rana!

How are you?

Ugh -- allergies are killing me. But I'll get better in a few days. Hanging out with the in-laws and the dog got me.

How was last month?

Good -- I had a minor lapse for my kid's bday cake but so far wheat free other than that! Go me!

Holding steady. I do not have labs and things for a while yet. Just had them in December.

Continue with wheat free.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #6  

I'm angry. Sad? Frustrated? Annoyed?

All of the above, I guess.

Another's doctor's appointment where my doctor was on my case about the weight I've gained and the weight I haven't lost. And then her annoyance that I wasn't going out full-fledged "I'm going to lose the weight today and prove to you that I can reach my goal weight!" because my school is demanding so much of me right now and work is getting overwhelming (as it normally does) and honestly, NO, I don't have time to go to the store after exercise class for 15 minutes (even though that's what I did last night) because going to the store isn't 15 minutes.

And the store doesn't always have what I eat.

And no, I don't eat Turkey Breast.

And no, I don't like vegetables put in the microwaves.

But the reality is that all of that is probably just as easy as she makes it to be, but I just don't have the energy to think about it that way and actually do it.

While food isn't entirely "comfort" in the sense that I don't eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's to feel better after a day at work; food is my "splurge". I don't get manis or pedis. I don't buy new clothes every weekend or even new make up. I don't go to movies or buy myself books. I work and work on my school and food is where I spend the money.

So, I like to make good meals. But to make good meals, it takes time. Time is not what I have. Yes, I am freezing extra portions and those have saved me on tons of time, but when I'm hungry and I need to eat, I'll eat. Even if it's over my calorie limit.

That's why I've gained 5 lbs. I don't want to deal with a hunger headache when I am working on my school stuff.

I don't want to cut down on coffee/sugar.

Yes, I know that eating more will make me gain weight. I'm not stupid! I lost 30-35 lbs eating less and moving more.

And at the end of the day, what REALLY gets me frustrated, is that it's not that I don't want to lose weight. I do. I wish it was that easy and that I could be perfect and I would eat exactly 1200 calories a day of perfect Paleo eating and never feel hunger, never feel tired, never want to stray off my perfect diet and that I could lose 1 perfect pound every day until I reach my goal weight.

But my life isn't perfect, I'm not perfect, and right now my school and work seem more important than losing weight.

Tell me that my blood pressure is higher, or that my cholesterol is through the roof or that I'm about to die from a heart attack and we can talk about putting my school and work in the back burner.

But I have spent 3.5 years on my diet and exercise and RIGHT NOW, I just need to finish my school.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/233/135

Height: 5'9"

Who is here this month?
Me! Newly diagnosed.

How are you?
I'm okay, though being bombarded with information in the last two weeks have been really confusing, especially since I'm travelling and won't be 'home' until May. I think I'm starting to get the hang of things though, and have already lost 10lbs or so.

How was last month?
Fantastic. I was blissfully unaware of my PCOS.

N/A

Sticking to my diet, as well as learning more about what I can do to manage my PCOS (hence why I joined this forum).

Let me know if any of you lovely ladies have advice! Especially about food choices while eating out because there isn't a kitchen for me to use until I get home. :/
Old 02-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #8  

Welcome hk38!

I travel a lot too and it's my biggest downfall, I think. The way that I've managed it (on the good days) is to stick to protein and vegetables and just avoid the temptations.

So, salad and a protein or even Asian dishes that tend to be veggie heavy (despite the sugar in the sauces) are the ones that I gravitate towards.

I also buy healthy snacks, like nuts, to tie me over, rather than getting side tracked by coffee cake.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #9  

I hurt my knee again last week.

I've been trying to ignore it, wait for it to heal, something, anything. I finally went to the doctor and he doesn't know what happened, so I am getting an MRI.

I haven't been exercising obviously.

Not exercising has made me realize how crappy my diet has been. And how I really need to focus on that. It's really 80% or more of our effort anyway. The exercise is bonus...

I just exercised so much that I could be looser in my eating. I realize that I can't... not if I want to lose the five (six?!) pounds that I want to lose that I gained and to continue this weight loss journey thing.

Good news is that I picked up my lab work and my A1C is good, still steady, and my fasting glucose was better than I thought it would be, and my cholesterol is amazing compared to last year.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #10  

What a terrible sugar hangover.

Last night we roasted marshmallows over the fire and I ate extremely low-carb to cover the carbs that I would be consuming with the s'mores/marshmallows. I never ate a full s'more, at the end of the day I like the roasted marshmallows better anyway... but this morning I woke up with a hangover. Except it wasn't from alcohol at all. I didn't drink anything alcoholic last night.

My body really can't process this stuff.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I'm angry. Sad? Frustrated? Annoyed?...
Rana, be so proud of yourself! Your ticker says you've lost around 30lbs. That in itself is such a feat! I understand your frustration. I was in school, working full time (grad at night)... and my weeks were 70+ hours long. Stress can stall any weight loss, too.

I lost 26lbs back in school because I simplified everything (and even ate wheat and carbs). My meals were trader joe's frozen whatever and veg/fruit smoothies made in a Magic Bullet mini blender. The weight was falling off because I knew what to buy each Sunday, throw it in the freezer, and I never had to think one bit about food during the week. Dinner = throw in one box of TJ's (random meal)... I ate it slowly and trusted that I would be full. I wound up being full. My total cals came out to be 1600 roughly. Maybe I should go back to that, come to think of it!

Not sure if you'd like to try that maybe? Sometimes we have to get away from being 'perfect'. And screw that doctor. Hugs.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Who is here this month?
Me =)

How are you?
Meh... not losing any weight, up 30lbs from 2 years ago. Trying really hard to do a gatherer-hunter diet (more veg than meat all the time). I FEEL immensely better but my weight will not budge.

How was last month?
Last month sucked I'm severely overqualified for my job and I'm ready to just walk out (but I can't... bills and rent!). So it makes me feel inadequate that I can't find anything, plus my weight makes me feel inadequate as a person... like I can't get it under control. What's more frustrating is that I'm being so perfect with my diet and my body is just like "f*** you lol." But I have new supplements from my nutritionist that are making me feel more upbeat. Supposed to fix my pituitary glad and thus help my natural cycles to come back.

Bad, see above

Self-love, new job hunting, and working out more.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 219/Start IP at 206/172/135

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Thumbs up Life with PCOS The ups and downs

Who is here this month? me

I have had PCOS since the age of 13 and am now 47. I could tell lots as I had every symptoms except diabetes (excessive facial hair, hair loss, obesity, infertility, chronic inflammation, etc.). I have seen many many different doctors (endocrinologist, gynocologists, naturapaths,family doctors, etc. etc. I took fertility pills for 15 years and was able to have two miracle babies who are now 22 and 18 (notice the age difference between the two, not intentional, third baby never came). After years of frustration and arguments with several doctors, research and searching for a good doctor, I finally found one three years ago, 4 hours away. I now see him every three months and am taking natural progesterone, estrogen, estriol, DHEA and many natural supplements. I have been in menopause for the second time (first time at 21 and now for the past two years.)

How are you?

THe best I have been in a very very long time. For the past year and half, I have had a personal trainer, train 5 times a week even though I have lost only 20 pounds in that time. A new naturopath has also found I have hypothyroidims. The new meds have helped me incredibly. I have started the Ideal Protein diet 3 weeks ago and have lost 10 pounds in three weeks (last year it took me 6 months with my trainer.) This is my year.

How was last month?

The Ideal Protein Diet was very hard to begin in February as we have 9 birthdays in this month. It was a true test.

The best it has been my entire life. My advice to anyone. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't and find another doctor even if you have to travel. No one know your body as well as you.

Continued weight loss and workout, spending time with my grandson and the family.
ginettepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #14  

Default New and scared

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section here; however, I thought since it's February and I need support I would give this a try.

I haven't been officially diagnnosed yet as I go for my blood work on Tuesday but its almost definitely PCOS. I'm scared right now. I have so many questions and I've googled all the answers, which I've received awesome answers on, but I still have more questions. I stumbled across this community through my search and there is so much information and support I just had to join. I've never joined a forum community before but I am in desperate need of som reassurance that everything is going to be okay.

I have never had an issue with acne or pimples or facial hair. I have had difficulty with weight gain but I thought this was only because I was lazy and didn't excercise (which probably still is). I have had irregular periods but no more than 45 days. No big deal.

Now, at age 27, sitting at 5'2 170, 45 lbs heavier than I'd like to be and 30 lbs gained in the last year in a half, I have missed three periods, am having acne, and growing facial hair. OMG. I want to cry. I need to fix my hormones. I am going to the gym tomorrow. How do I stop this from getting worse?! This just started last week ... ok, well the acne and facial hair... ugh. This is seriously my weight breaking point.

Today I will keep reading everything I can on here to get tips and support. Tomorrow I will go to the gym and put my low GI diet in place. I'll be fine but I'm still scared as **** and my face hurts!!!

Chrissy
chrissy8505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 219/Start IP at 206/172/135

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy8505 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section here; however, I thought since it's February and I need support I would give this a try.

I haven't been officially diagnnosed yet as I go for my blood work on Tuesday but its almost definitely PCOS. I'm scared right now. I have so many questions and I've googled all the answers, which I've received awesome answers on, but I still have more questions. I stumbled across this community through my search and there is so much information and support I just had to join. I've never joined a forum community before but I am in desperate need of som reassurance that everything is going to be okay.

I have never had an issue with acne or pimples or facial hair. I have had difficulty with weight gain but I thought this was only because I was lazy and didn't excercise (which probably still is). I have had irregular periods but no more than 45 days. No big deal.

Now, at age 27, sitting at 5'2 170, 45 lbs heavier than I'd like to be and 30 lbs gained in the last year in a half, I have missed three periods, am having acne, and growing facial hair. OMG. I want to cry. I need to fix my hormones. I am going to the gym tomorrow. How do I stop this from getting worse?! This just started last week ... ok, well the acne and facial hair... ugh. This is seriously my weight breaking point.

Today I will keep reading everything I can on here to get tips and support. Tomorrow I will go to the gym and put my low GI diet in place. I'll be fine but I'm still scared as **** and my face hurts!!!

Chrissy
Hang in there! Know your body and be very specific with the doctors. Don't be afraid to change doctors and research. For me, the only diet that has worked is the Ideal Protein diet. 14 pounds in my first month. You can email me or ask any question, as my PCOS is quite severe ( one of the worse according to my latest specialist that has made a huge difference for me). Also, don't hesitate to see a good naturopath. They also have great insight. It really is trial and error as everyone does a little differently on meds.

Hang in there. It's the beginning of a journey. You will get an awesome knowledge of yourself.
ginettepv is offline   Reply With Quote