PCOS PMT and Menopause

• Earlier in my life around 28 i experienced a rapid onset of PCOS but was after a few years able to get my menstrual cycle back into regularity. I never lost the weight but and still suffer from facial hair. However as I get older (51) my PMT symptoms are getting longer and more horrendous. For at least 10 days before my period I feel anxious, on edge, hysterical and dangerously moody. This is a real liability in my professional life. Also serotonin deficiency insomnia, where I can go to sleep but wake up at 3 every night and are unable to go back to sleep. I started with natural progesterone cream about 2 months ago and take oxapazem to help with sleep. It started off by reducing the symptoms but now it seems worse, I feel on edge ALL THE TIME and have insomnia all the time and no relief after my periods. Far from stopping my periods they are as regular as always and if I forget to rub cream on bang my periods start up. This is really traumatic and I fear that I will become one of those women who go off their tree at menopause. I eat an excellent diet (mostly) and have tried every natural supplement suggested. Help!
  • Quote: Earlier in my life around 28 i experienced a rapid onset of PCOS but was after a few years able to get my menstrual cycle back into regularity. I never lost the weight but and still suffer from facial hair. However as I get older (51) my PMT symptoms are getting longer and more horrendous. For at least 10 days before my period I feel anxious, on edge, hysterical and dangerously moody. This is a real liability in my professional life. Also serotonin deficiency insomnia, where I can go to sleep but wake up at 3 every night and are unable to go back to sleep. I started with natural progesterone cream about 2 months ago and take oxapazem to help with sleep. It started off by reducing the symptoms but now it seems worse, I feel on edge ALL THE TIME and have insomnia all the time and no relief after my periods. Far from stopping my periods they are as regular as always and if I forget to rub cream on bang my periods start up. This is really traumatic and I fear that I will become one of those women who go off their tree at menopause. I eat an excellent diet (mostly) and have tried every natural supplement suggested. Help!

I would suggest you get tested again. I am tested every three months and it's unbelievable the changes from one time to another. I am in full menopause, take progesterone, estrogen, estriol and DHEA. My doc has increased my dose regularly and now, 4 years later, I can tell myself when I am low as insomnia creeps up as well as other symptoms. It did take awhile before things stabilized, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't until my periods stopped that things calmed down, thus the importance of being checked frequently.

good luck