PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #1  

Unhappy 28, newly diagnosed IR and Hypothyroidism

Greetings all,
I'm brand new on here and thought i'd inquire a little bit about what's wrong with me.
I've been overweight since I was 4 and struggled with it my entire life as I'm sure most of you all have. The news I got last week was upsetting as well as a relief. I have never been that unhealthy of a person, but at 240 lbs my body says otherwise. Being overweight as a youth, I think food and nutrition is engraved into your mind. To finally find out that my body is basically working against me helps me to understand why its always been so difficult for me to lose any weight. I am now on prescriptions for both conditions but still feeling kinda lost in reference to a diet. I have the IR diet book on its way, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I need to know since thyroid is also a problem? From this point on I just want to do whatever possible to get myself to a healthy weight for once in my life. Tips, pointers, advice is extremely appreciated!!!!!
flibbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #2  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Clean eating is key, yes healthy eating is key also but clean eating is best

I'll point you to Dr. Brooke, I just found her and love her already!
https://www.facebook.com/betterbydrbrooke
Here is here Blog
http://betterbydrbrooke.wordpress.com/
She does a Fat Loss Resistance/PCOS/Thyroid Q&A every Thursday on FB!

I found her thru Girls Gone Strong
http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/ Molly Galbraith has PCOS

Ther eare so many grreat Clean Eating sites you can google by fave is a group on FB...it's private but anyone can join
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CleanLiving

Hope you find some of this helpful

<3 Sylvia
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

^I don't think there's a difference between healthy and clean.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/233/135

Height: 5'9"

I am newly diagnosed as well, and what has helped me through the confusion is sticking with a low-carb low-sugar diet. I stay under 50 net grams of carbs a day, and I slowly research more about the IR diet as well as low-gi eating.
Not having to know everything before starting a new eating habit on day one has helped me a lot, and released a lot of stress.
hk38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 236

I was diagnosed with Cushing's Syndrome, and my doc believes that this has thrown my system out of whack - especially my thyroid. It's like a vicious circle. Stress affects cortisol, your adreanals get out of line, your thyroid gets wonky, repeat ad nauseum.

For me, having a name for what ailed me was key. I had two docs tell me "It's in your head." And, "What do you expect? You're a busy mom." They didn't even want to check my thyroid saying if I didn't have a goiter, there was no concern. Well, a new doctor (female) and few simple tests proved that I had almost no thyroid and I was in Stage 3 of adrenal fatigue.

My doc put me on Armourthyroid and some other supplements, which has helped tremendously. I follow low sugar/low carbs and it has helped so much. Low GI has been a key to unfogging my brain and keeping energy levels up. My hair is growing back, too.

Reducing stress is also a key component. I do yoga and have some relaxation/meditation apps on my ipod. These aren't enough to stop the weight-gain cycle, but they have helped to greatly reduce my cortisol levels and raise my thyroid. After a year, my life seems more well-balanced and I feel like I am ready to tackle the weight gain issue.

If things don't improve for you with medication alone (which is what happened to me), you might want to have your cortisol levels checked. Just a suggestion. I wish you the best of luck and good health!
ukemama is offline   Reply With Quote