PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 07:27 PM   #1  

Default Questions

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17, about 5 years ago. My doctor placed me on BC and stated that I had to lose weight. I was on a low fat diet since then, and only when I exercised for an hour each day and ate 1,000 calories a day did i see any weight loss. (needless to say, I can't keep that up).

I started Atkins in January. Does anyone else lose weight the first two weeks of the cycle, only to regain it all back plus more over the next two weeks? Seriously, I haven't cheated on Atkins and I have actually gained weight, even though I keep the same exercise level.

I saw my endocrinologist, who was going to put me on glucophage but since my test results came back only slightly insulin resistant, has since decided that maybe I don't need to be placed on it. Did anyone else have this problem? Does insulin resistance depend on which part of the cycle you're in? Any help that you guys can provide would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #2  

you need to see a new endo doctor..one who knows what insulin resistence is all about..you need to be on glucophage..and you must go on an insulin resistence diet...one where you can eat carbs but the carbs must be linked to a protein..any and everytime a carb is eaten

15grams carbs + 7grams protein

or

30grams carbs + 14 protein

you can always have more protein..but must not exceed 30 carbs within a 3 hour period...

the exercise must be the cardio plus the resistence training (such as rubberbands or weghtlifting)

hope this helps
(your metabolism will not straighten out without the help of glucophage, before the glucophage it took me two years of total starvation to lose 60 pounds)
Old 04-23-2003, 06:15 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I know what your going thru ECR, I go 3 weeks then blow it for one. I usually back slide between 4 & 9 lbs, but they come off easy plus a few more once things get back to normal.

It has to do with my cycle and the hormonal changes Im going thru. But Im regular, thanks to my weightloss, Im feeling good, and Im getting my pcos under control without drugs.

Seek out another doctor that knows more about pcos. Its so misunderstood by so many doctors.

Regarding what diet works......every diet doesnt work for everyone.......do what works for you, and what makes you feel good.

Good Luck to you
Old 05-01-2003, 09:12 AM   #4  

Smile Thanks! Me too..

First I just want to say a thanks to everyone here and to 3fc for just having this here. I was diagnosed with PCOS quite a few years ago and had a horrible doc who just told me to lose weight and gave me fen-phen (right before they took it off the market) and sent me off. No further info at all. It's so nice to finally know more about it and have some sort of idea of what I can do to at least feel better.

I've been on a low carb diet now for a week (ever since I found this site) and I feel TONS better! I'm trying to do it without drugs since I'm still breastfeeding my 10 month old. Even if I don't lose the weight, just losing the exhaustion and the mood swings will be worth it. I feel very much like I'm finally getting back to being me. So, good luck to anyone trying to do it drug free and if you have any suggestions, I'll take em.
Closed Thread