PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Have to Share! I got my fasting blood sugar from the 100s to the 70s!

I started to notice around June of this year, I was getting more and more hypoglycemic symptoms in between meals. This would cause me to go running for something like apple juice. I had horrible heartburn 24/7, so I wouldn't dare drink any orange juice. I couldn't go more than 3 hours between meals because I would get the shakes.

so one day during one of the attacks of hypoglycemic symptoms, I checked my blood sugar, to my shock it was 112. I was confused. When I used to experience the attacks my blood sugar would be in the high 80s, low 90s. Which I knew was not the norm. You should be fine until it hits the 60s normally.

I went to my doctor, and he said I needed another A1c because I had to watch my A1c's since my gestational diabetes. He told me I was probably running a little hyperglycemic, but could not tell me why???

I found this website one evening: http://www.wellnessresources.com/tip...ication_fails/

If you can not get through all of the scientific data, then just follow these five rules.

The Five Rules of the Leptin Diet

Rule 1: Never eat after dinner. Leave 3 hrs before bedtime.
Rule 2: Eat three meals a day (do not snack).
Rule 3: Do not eat large meals.
Rule 4: Eat a breakfast containing protein.
Rule 5: Reduce the amount of carbohydrates eaten.

In the beginning, I had horrible heartburn, I was ADDICTED to carbs, I was ADDICTED to chocolate. I ate chocolate at least 5 times a day, I was soo hungry all of the time, I was never full after I ate. I had been losing or maintaining and then I was steadily gaining weight at about .25 lb/wk. My fasting blood sugars were in the 100s in the morning.

I started out with whey protein shakes and a few supplements to help me get my cravings under control, I was scared to eat regular foods because I would crave junk. So I got some stevia sweetened whey protein and used herbs such as gymenne sylvestre, and chromium to keep my sweet cravings and balance my sugar. I also used dandelion and milk thistle to help my liver.

I lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks,starting about August 15, I stopped craving chocolate COLD TURKEY, I stopped craving sweets such as cakes, donuts, and I stopped having the shakes as I gradually increased the time between meals from 3 hours to 6 hours. At first, I had to take the gymenne every day or the cravings would come back, now I am ok to take a few times a week or if I feel like having something sweet-which is rare. I eat fruit and fruit jelly, and that is it.

I have to say the ONLY way I was able to lose weight and cravings in the past was through intermittent fasting or complete fasts. If you know why the Leptin diet works with impaired glucose metabolism then you will know why any form of fasting also works.

Now, I can eat until full--not stuffed. I used to have to stuff myself for satiety and then be hungry 3 hours later. Now, I can actually eat breakfast and not eat until lunch. Or if I wake up late, I can eat lunch and not eat until dinner and I am not plagued by cravings.

The worst thing a glucose impaired metabolism needs is frequent meals. I didn't understand this until I read this article. At first it was hard to go more than 3 hours without eating. I had to eat something or I would get the shakes and low blood sugar symptoms. But I kept adding more protein to my meals as suggested, and I was able to go longer and longer between meals.

Your body needs to be able to use the sugar in your blood stream for energy--NOT just shove it into your cells or tissues. This is the reason why as I was able to go longer and longer between meals, my fasting blood sugars came down. My body also became more efficient at using my liver between meals and my frequent heartburn went away.

Another great thing is that this diet works for anyone, if you can't eat meat, eggs or whatever, then use whey protein to get your protein. I either replace a meal with a stevia sweetened shake and a super antioxidant like Emerald Balance OR I eat a small meal with a protein shake.

since intermittent fasting rules say you can have something less than 30 calories between meals, if I feel really weak, I will have some tea with no more than 30 calories (xylitol, and creamer) around the middle of the 6 hr break.

My morning blood sugars coming down from the 100s, low 90s to the mid 70s--is proof this is working for me!

Just so you know. I eat ezekiel bread, potatoes, and fruit daily. My main forms of protein are my shakes, meats, eggs, bacon, sausage, and cottage cheese.

A breakfast might be
Large: 3 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, 2 pieces of sausage, a 1/4 cup of hash browns 1 orange, 1 cup of tea with xylitol and milk. (usually if this large it is earlier in the day and I rarely eat lunch)

2 eggs, whey protein shake OR a whey protein shake with Emerald Balance

OR most frequently: 1 cup cottage cheese with fruit and ezekiel bread.

lunch: meat, cottage cheese, veggies, orange or blueberries. I only eat if I have a very small breakfast or NO breakfast such as getting up late.

dinner: meat, starch (brown rice or potatoes), 2 cups veggies, fruit, tea.

PLEASE do not ignore low blood sugar symptoms such as feelings of panic, heart racing, sweating, shaking, feeling brain fog--especially if you are diabetic. I have prediabetes and insulin resistance. A small less than 30 calorie cup of tea with milk and sugar substitute (I use xylitol) may help. As you can see this diet along with the herbs LOWERS your blood sugars, that means you may need to adjust your insulin or take your blood sugars more frequently before you take medications. I recommend this FIRST and FOREMOST to those who are using diet to control type II diabetes or who are prediabetic and those using sliding scale insulin (you can adjust your insulin coverage based on your blood sugars).
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Just doing a quick research on this, some people (I don't qualify them as MDs or nutritionists, because I can verify if they are) have conflicting information. Some are saying that eating every 3 or 4 hous i necessary to avoid leptin resistance.

From what I know of Intermittent Fasting, it's not leaving 5-6 hours between meals, but rather leaving somewhere around 16-20 hours between meals.

IF -- in this manner -- has been shown to help diabetics because it does give your pancreas a "rest" during that period of time it doesn't need to create insulin.

I'm glad this diet is working for you and keep doing what makes you reach your goals and keeps you healthy! Either way, I think all of us that have IR need to eat low carb.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote