2012 - August PCOS Support Thread

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hello everyone!

Let's get back into August with a bang! Join in, tell us your stories, your struggles, your victories, and anything else you want... This is a community of PCOS women who are trying to be healthier, lose weight, and help each other along the way!

Who is here this month?
    How are you?
    How was last month?
    How is your PCOS management last month?
    What are you going to work on in August?

Answer a few questions and let's get this party started....
  • Who is here this month?

Hi everyone! I'm here this month! (See astrophe, I read and I followed through with the thread creation!)

I've had PCOS since I was a teenager, diagnosed when I was 19ish. I didn't really do anything about my PCOS (for a number of different reasons) and it was only about a few years ago now that I decided I needed to get healthy.

Part of getting healthy meant that I needed to treat my PCOS. So, I somehow ended up here in 3FC after having visited other places for support and I stayed here, even for PCOS stuff, because while I have PCOS, it's not my entire life!

I don't want to have children (maybe ever!) so I'm not here to be more fertile, but rather to make sure that I don't develop full-blown diabetes or any other complications from PCOS.

How are you?

I'm okay. The last two days my blood sugar levels have been high and I am trying to figure out why. Today I'm going to change my dinner to see if it's what I'm eating at night, rather than during the day.

Sigh. For a while, I had it perfectly and suddenly it shot up.

How was last month?

It was okay. I got back from my June travels to focus on my eating and going back down in weight and I did. Not spectacularly, but it's okay, I know I lose weight slowly.

I did travel in July, which always sets me up to gain weight... sigh...

I know a lot of it is sodium/water weight, but it's so discouraging because it takes about a week to get it all out again.

I also went back to my doctor to verify my A1C -- came back down now that I'm back on my lower carb diet (crazy nutritionist put me on a high carb diet because I exercise so much).

I also had an ultrasound of my ovaries which showed that my "string of pearls" is no longer there and my ovaries look healthy!

I think it shows that I'm working well on it. I took my vitamins and supplements, I exercised, I ate moderately well, and I'm focused now on losing weight for a wedding (don't we all need these kinds of motivators)? And also so I can feel like my clothes are loose again, rather than fitting right! I want to get down to my next size (either a 6 or an 8 -- I currently wear 8 or 10).

Consistency in terms of exercise (no travel!).

Diet and figuring out what raises my blood sugar randomly so I can take it out.

Finishing some schoolwork I have pending.

Lose more weight.

Incorporate activity into my life -- like commuting by bike to different places.

Hi Everyone! I'm here this month! Like you Rana, I have had PCOS since I was a teenager but it wasn't diagnosed until I was 21. I have been on some form of birth control since I was 15 to control my periods. Luckily, I do not have issues with IR but I do get painful cysts that burst when I am not on BC.
    I went off BC for a year to try and get pregnant and lose weight. Wasn't very successful on either goal working on my own. Now I am back here for support. I also went back on BC for the next 3 mos. to try and get my cycles regulated enough to try again.

How are you?
    I'm better. Last month I was really depressed about my weight and it seemed like everyone I know was getting pregnant or just had a baby. I felt like such a failure. This month is better. By going back on the BC, I feel like the pressure to get pregnant is lifted and I can just focus on my health for a few months.

How was last month?

Last month we vacationed and, like you Rana, I gain weight when I travel. I did go hiking every day in Colorado hoping that would help balance things out and instead of gaining weight, I managed to stay the same. But now I am back in Kansas with 100+ heat and I have no motivation to go outside and workout. So I started the pool running and dug out my workout DVDs.

Last month was pretty terrible. I had a two-week plus period after only having a 14 day cycle. I also had several cysts burst and was laid up from the pain for a couple of days. That was our motivating factor to go back on BC for awhile.

Since this is my first month back on the wagon, I am going to concentrate on using my smart phone app to track my calories eaten and calories burned. I also am logging my workouts on the dailymile.com and have a goal of working out at least 5 days a week.

So happy to be back! Let's get this month started off right!
    Me! MrsH

How are you?
    I'm doing very well, stress peaks every now and then but I will not focus on it

How was last month?
    Last month was good but have had to put medical testing on hold due to stress. I have a cortisol deficency that requires Cortisteroids and my Endo does not want to keep trying to figure out why until I am at a stable place with my stress level, weening with stress is very dangerous (fatal is the word she used in the letter she sent me!). I feel great when I am not weening on and off the meds so this is a nice change but I'd rather know why and have no stress, I'll get there!

It was good but the weekends are still not my friend! This past weekend was one of my better weekends so I hope I can stay on track.

Managing stress, I am 3 weeks into a 6 week Mind, Body, Soul class & am really enjoying it
    (please note this stress I have is not anything I can control, lets call it Legal issues)

&more workingout and eating right...gotta keep shedding the lbs
    I am, Ive also had pcos since i was a teen but it wasn't until i came off BCP 4 years ago did things go nuts.

How are you?
    My anxiety is really bad this month so bad that im actually quitting my big box store job (largest wal mart in Canada... well it was.. why does it need to be two effing floors), I get up in the morning and feel fine but then when i start to get ready for work I have major attacks. I loose my vision, i can barely hear my hearts racing its not a very nice feeling. On the plus side a pharmacy across the street from my house is hiring so i applied and have an interview on Saturday! I think i can keep my anxiety in check because its a small ma and pa pharmacy. And the job at the pharmacy is full time!! Its VERY hard to find a job that actually gives full time!!

Also This is the first time in 2 years ive naturally had a period without the help of meds!! and my cycle is at 30 days!!!! its an incredible feeling.

How was last month?
    last month was hit and miss but im still doing boot-camp and hiking mount Doug so Thats good and hubby has been going to the gym.. and might i add hes looking mighty fine, he always has but his confidence has boosted so Thats nice.

it wasn't so bad but im excited i really want this new job so that i can afford to eat all the good healthy stuff. so if i get it this month is going to be awesome for pcos management!

Im just gonna keep at it, slow and steady wins the race
  • Hi Laughing Girl, Mrs. H, and 2Phat!

Glad you guys chimed in.

I'm getting closer to committing to do the Whole30 (part of the Paleo community's "kick start" program)... I already eat pretty clean, I would have to remove the brown rice and legumes out of my diet. That has me a bit nervous since we all know that fiber is good... but I do want to do something to see if I can get my body to let go of this weight.

Or...

If it doesn't...

Then, I'm going to just start assuming this is the weight that my body is happy at and just focus on maintaining and being happy with it.
  • Sorry to jump in but I had to as soon as I read "Paleo".

Rana, if you are planning on starting the Paleo diet I would highly recommend it! I've been following it on & off for the past 3 months and although the weight loss isnt as I'd hoped it would be, I feel a lot better in terms of energy etc & improved PCOS symptoms. Also, I feel less bloated both in terms of water retention & stomach.
    I've removed all bread, rice, sugar and processed food from my diet. I try to eat organic and free-range whenever possible. The only thing I couldn't let go of was yogurt, milk and cheese so I'm following the 100% Paleo, 80% of the time principle :P
    I would suggest to add more strength training exercise while you're on Paleo. I may not have lost much weight but it helped me lose a couple of sizes and look more toned.

Good luck
  • Quote: Sorry to jump in but I had to as soon as I read "Paleo".

Rana, if you are planning on starting the Paleo diet I would highly recommend it! I've been following it on & off for the past 3 months and although the weight loss isnt as I'd hoped it would be, I feel a lot better in terms of energy etc & improved PCOS symptoms. Also, I feel less bloated both in terms of water retention & stomach.
    I've removed all bread, rice, sugar and processed food from my diet. I try to eat organic and free-range whenever possible. The only thing I couldn't let go of was yogurt, milk and cheese so I'm following the 100% Paleo, 80% of the time principle :P
    I would suggest to add more strength training exercise while you're on Paleo. I may not have lost much weight but it helped me lose a couple of sizes and look more toned.

Good luck

Thanks, JigglyBits. I don't know if you can answer these questions, but they are questions that I am still sorting out in my head about whether the Whole30 and/or Paleo would really work for me.

1) I already eat organic/free-range. I also don't eat the white carbs (potatoes, rice, etc.) and the only dairy I am eating now is when I sprinkle Parmesan cheese on my eggs (not every day) -- would the Paleo diet help even when I already 75% there?

2) I eat brown rice/legumes and have been for a long time because it's fiber-rich and has protein without eating meat/chicken/etc. I'm worried about eating a meat-fest all day...

So, one of the reasons I want to do it is that even though my PCOS symptoms are "gone" so to speak, my IR is still there and I want to get my blood sugar levels lower. Not sure if this will do it...?

ME! Astrophe!

How are you?

Happy, elated, ecstatic, scatterbrained?

How was last month?

Great. Summer vacations, friends, family, bonding with DH. Just the ticket in my book. I'm having a VERY hard time settling back down now that I'm back though. Too much "wheeee!" energy. Plus getting ready for DH's surgery so a bit distracted.

Poor -- I lose track of time and it messes up my meds. My diet and exercise are equally messed up for time but I lost some weight anyway. Have labs in aug and endoc in sept so let's see what happens in a month.

There's the start of school coming so I'm trying to get that kicked off well and then can get to the non-summer routine. I'll be glad. I love being tight with my kid in summer, but I also want to get back on the PCOS wagon more formally and not so... flibbertygibbet.

But the break was lovely, esp the bonding with DH. SO NEEDED THAT!

A
  • Hi astrophe! Glad to have you back...

Update from my little world:

I went to the Endocrinologist today because I had given up on losing weight and wanted to get back on Metformin. I think I even mentioned it here, in last month's thread.

Anyway, I'm sad to say that my doctor thinks I'm perfectly fine and that I don't need Metformin. *sigh* Two years ago, he wanted and insisted that I get on Metformin... he basically made me feel like I was an idiot not to try it.

NOW... when I want it... he's telling me I just have to lose the weight the natural way!

Oh, the irony...

Anyway, he's happy with what I've done, but he told me what I didn't want to hear -- losing weight is about restricting my calories more, not about getting on medication. He also told me to drop the testing of the blood sugar every day because that's too much. He took a look at the logs in my glucometer and said that I was fine, if I wanted it to come down, I needed to lose weight.

He said that I wasn't going to lose weight just increasing my exercise.

I need to control and go lower carb than I am right now.

Crap.

I feel really comfortable at this level of carb consumption and I dread going lower.

But it looks like that's what I have to do.

Paleo all the way baby!
  • @rana- Your a champ, Very inspirational You have so much drive wanna send some this way.? lol

Update-

womp womp anxiety is so bad right now.. like crippling And my work doesn't understand and im not really sure what to do.. but today has been a good day which is nice because i feel like ive been only having bad days..
  • Update: So frustrated right now!! After a week and 1/2 of counting every calorie and starting the c25k program, I weighed myself and am up 2.5 lbs. I am only eating between 55%-70% of my RDI for calories and have a deficit of 2,000-3,000 calories a day (more calories burned than consumed).

I am also 3-4 days away from starting my period. AND I went back on BC this month. Is it just my period/water weight and/or BC pills? Should I adjust my calories? Am I eating too little or too much?

I really want to be successful and start right. Am I on the right track and just need to wait and see until after my period starts?

THANKS my PCOS-cysters.
    <HUGS>
  • Quote: Update: So frustrated right now!! After a week and 1/2 of counting every calorie and starting the c25k program, I weighed myself and am up 2.5 lbs. I am only eating between 55%-70% of my RDI for calories and have a deficit of 2,000-3,000 calories a day (more calories burned than consumed).

I am also 3-4 days away from starting my period. AND I went back on BC this month. Is it just my period/water weight and/or BC pills? Should I adjust my calories? Am I eating too little or too much?

I really want to be successful and start right. Am I on the right track and just need to wait and see until after my period starts?

THANKS my PCOS-cysters.
    <HUGS>
    Water weight. PMS weight. BCP weight. And sore muscle weight.

Don't worry... keep at it and see where you are a month from now. A week is too short!
  • Update!! i am 4 pounds away from breaking into the 250s (again) boot camp is kicking my butt.. want a good workout check out the battling ropes.. gahhh My moods are deff getting better and im finally off my acid reflux meds things are starting to happen
    I am! I am new to the forums. I have never been officially diagnosed with PCOS. After my annual pap last year the doctor listed some symptoms and said that I might have it, but since I do not have insurance I have yet to see anyone else about about it.

How are you?
    My mood has been down lately. I haven't seen a whole lot of results from working out. I thought I had been working really hard, but the scale hasn't budged at all. So i'm trying to start calorie counting again and I need to kick the sweets too. It's really difficult for me to stick to it, though. I'm hoping I can stay strong this month.

Also feeling unreasonably shy with these forums, but I guess that could stem from my gloomy mood lately.

How was last month?
    Last month was very relaxed. I spent the month of June in China for study abroad so July was spent settling back into things and I started a precal class as well (which ends tomorrow, yay!)

I don't even really know what to do to manage PCOS.

Drinking more water, keeping track of my calories, eating more vegetables, trying to workout at least 5 days a week, and not getting discouraged so easily.