PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 11:12 PM   #16  

I joined Curves about 3 weeks ago, so I think I can tell you what the first visit is like...

First, I guess I'll explain that I had visited another Curves location with a good friend a good while ago, so I knew what Curves was like and that I wanted to join. (The one near me is fairly new.) I set my appointment to join and my "first workout" for the same day. If you want to try it out first, I hear they are usually eager to let you try a free week first -- the new Curves book even has a week's pass in the back.

However you do it, here's what to expect. For the registration process I had to fill out some basic paperwork (medical history questions, emergency contacts, etc.) and answer some questions about my goals for joining and such. Then they weighed and measured me -- circumference of arm, waist, thigh, etc. and recorded that information. Then I moved on to the workout.

For the first workout (or first few workouts, if you prefer) a trainer will go with you around the circuit, explaining everything as you go. She explains the proper way to use each machine, explains what to do to adjust if you're too short (like me) or too tall for some machines (there are special cushions you put at your back if you're short -- I wish I could tell you what to do if you're too tall!!) I know several women who have had the trainer go through the circuit with them for several workouts; the trainers don't seem to mind at all.

The nice thing about Curves is that it is small and friendly. It's a workout place for real women, so really you'll see that they're all a lot like you. You don't have to worry about how you look or how many reps you can do at each machine because everyone's moving too much to notice. After all, you switch stations every thirty seconds. That's hardly enough time to judge someone else!

If you're really worried about having a lot of people around, call and ask for a first workout appointment and ask them when you can go when they are not very busy. I was off for the summer (I'm a teacher), so I found that my Curves was not busy at all around 11 am. In fact, there was a time or two when I was the only one there for a few minutes. Since I've returned to work, I've learned that 5:30 pm is really busy, but things slow down again around 7pm. The Curves near you may be different, so call and ask.

I hope you will go try it out. I've been amazed at how many people I've seen there that I know. The first thing they say when they realize I've joined too is, "Don't you just love it?" I think Curves is a secret that is getting out.

Good luck!

Amy
Old 08-13-2003, 01:09 PM   #17  

Cassandra,

Honestly, there is no need to be apprehensive. You don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to. You'll see how easy it is and you'll say, "Boy, why didn't I do this sooner?!"
Old 08-24-2003, 10:28 AM   #18  

As you may have already read in other threads, I have joined and already had my 1 month anniversary. I have lost 12inches and 4lbs. I think, well I know this is the best thing I have ever done. I enjoy it so much. I try to go every day and I eat so much better. The weird thing is when they measured my abs area I had gained 2 inches?!?! She said that it was normal for a woman to do that. That was ok because I still won a T-shirt for losing over 10inches in my first month.

Good luck to all and keep curving!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:47 AM   #19  
Rattie Lover

They just opened up a new "Curves" down the street from me...humm....I might have to look into it. There's nothing better then peer motivation and support to keep you going and I could sure use some.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:34 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

After reading all the posts I had another pro-curves thing to add. A friend of mine is a recovering anorexic who, after recovery gained weight until she was at about 350lbs. This January she had WLS done. Naturally, we were all a bit concerned for her as that is an amazing amount of control for an former anorexic to have. But it was also very important she lose weight for health reasons. So her and I went around trying to find a gym for her to work out at, which is a must following the surgery. We both decided on Curves as she cannot look at herself in a mirror, even now. The amazing thing is that she told them about her medical history and now they help her to not overdo it on the machines. She's tried a few times to do extra circuits, or another machine after she's done her work out. They are very discrete and come over to her and tell her she's all done for the day and that she did great. This is a pretty severe case but the group at this club are so incredibly helpful to watch and make sure she's being healthy, which she wants more than anything. No other gym could come close to the support she's received at Curves, I'm so glad she found them. Now she's well on her way to being the healthy, happy person she has wanted to be for so long.

Tummy
Old 09-02-2003, 03:47 AM   #21  
Rattie Lover

Well folks, tomorrow I go to the Endocrinologist for my PCOS. YAY! I sure hope she gives me some meds. My GYN told me that some of his patients that had gone on meds have lost up to 60 pounds in one MONTH because they got the right medicines that helped their body start doing what it's suppose to do so..we shall see. I sure hope it helps but I am not getting my hopes up until I start to see results. I'll keep you posted.

Angel
Old 09-03-2003, 01:20 AM   #22  
Rattie Lover

Well folks...I went to the Endocrinologist today. I didn't get any medication yet. She wants me to get various blood work done to see where all of my hormones are at right now as well as my sugars, then we're going to go from there. I'll get that blood work done this week sometime and then I return in 3 weeks and she said then she'll figure out what she is going to put me on. She talked about Metaformin and Merida but I have some liver damage from previous chemo treatments and I guess because of that they cant just fork over the meds. Understandable. I really like this Doctor. She takes the time to talk to you about everything and isn't in a rush to get out of there. She tells me that it takes years to develop PCOS and so it sometimes takes her a year to get things straightened out for her patients. Makes sense. So that is the scoop for todays Dr. Visit. (sounds like a commercial huh! heheehe..)

Noodles

PS: forgot to add..I lost 2.5 lbs since Thursday! YAY!

Last edited by Noodles913; 09-03-2003 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:43 AM   #23  
WW Moderator

Glad things are getting on track for you! Have you been tested for insulin resistance before? I had the whole hormone profile done before, but when he told me my results they just went in one ear and out the other. There is a PCOS site that lists 'normal' ranges for the hormones. My suggestion to you is to take that with you and write yours down beside it, or ask for a copy of your test restults. If you are like me, I came home and looked to see how I compared to other people and couldn't remember any of my levels.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:25 PM   #24  
Rattie Lover

Hi Jennifer!
I am not sure about the IR test. Is that the one where you fast, then they take your blood, then you drink the glucose soda, then you get blood drawn every 45 minutes for 3 hours? I had a test done Tuesday where she checks some level that can tell you if over time it was too high or too low and if it is over 7 then you are definitely a diebetic, but I can't for the life of me remember what the tests name was! My score was a 5.7 though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely ask for the results so I can compare too. It's always nice to be able to see what it all means in "English" words on the PCOS sites instead of medical terms.
One thing she noticed...is that my hair line is starting to reciede. I have so much hair otherwise that I wouldnt of even noticed but she pointed it out to me. **Sigh**Now I keep covering the spots on the top of my head. She said she is going to give me meds to slow down the hair growth too. Guess I wont be cutting my hair for a while!
Noodles

Last edited by Noodles913; 09-04-2003 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:54 PM   #25  

Once I stared on the glucophage my hair really stopped falling out. I can still tell that it is a little thin on top.

I never had to drink anything they just drew tons of blood. The medical term are mind scrambling. Who knows what they are talking about. I do know my insulin was 22 and after taking the glucophage we had it down to 8. Go figure!!

Good luck
Cassandra
Old 09-10-2003, 10:48 AM   #26  
Rattie Lover

Well..I went and did the blood work yesterday...

They only took 2 tubes of blood. The blood drawing guy told me there was about 8 different tests my endocrinologist had ordered for me but that 2 tubes was sufficient enough to do all of the tests. Still too much for me...I always get that post blood draw headache and the shakes. I took a snack with me and chomped down right afterwards to hopefully prevent the headache but that didn't work. It managed to go away tho later on. So...we shall see what she says on my next appointment. I'll keep ya posted!
Old 09-12-2003, 07:49 PM   #27  

Angry

Hi, I am 25 yrs old, 5' tall, 175lbs and just joined 3FC. I was diagnosed with PCOS less than a yr ago. I was given glucophage and a nutritionist refferal , but I used the side effects of the medication as an excuse to give up. But recently when I found out I was 175lbs I panicked because my highest weight ever has been 168lbs. I have tried a couple of things in the past- I mean who hasn't, but I remember losing weight easily with WW. So to make the long story short I am now waiting for my WW at home kit and after reading this thread I am looking into joining Curves. I want to thank you all and hope that by sticking together I can accomplish my goal weight this time.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:30 AM   #28  
Rattie Lover

What are the side effects from the Glucophage? I am going to go on that here in about 2 weeks so I would like to be somewhat prepared...Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks!

Angel
Old 09-14-2003, 02:25 AM   #29  

Angry In response to Noodles913

Well, when i started to take it I mostly experienced a dry mouth and an upset stomach. The doctor did tell me this would go away when my body got used to it, but I guess i gave up to soon. My mom also takes it and had the same problem in the begining, but she told me that it went away with time and that now she feels a lot better with the medication.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:55 AM   #30  
WW Moderator

The most common side effect for me was upset stomach and diarrhea, then once I got used to it, it was just mainly 'ergent bowels'. Must be what it is like to have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The Glucophage XR is much milder on the stomach if you can get your doctor to prescribe that instead. It is a time release formula. You take it once a day instead of at each meal.
Closed Thread