PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default NAC is a MIRACLE!! (n-acetyl-cysteine)

Okay I posted a few weeks back that I was going to go back on birth control pills after being off of them for a month and a half. I was frustrated with the acne & mood swings. My hormones were clearly all over the place.
However, the next day after posting that.. I decided against it, and that I would try my hardest to weather the storm of PCOS symptoms. (I've been trying to TTC for 3 years-- but how can you even try if you don't get regular cycles?)

Well, I am glad I decided to weather the storm. Mid June I began taking 600mg of NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine. A few weeks later I got my period on my own! A 32 day cycle. I was amazed.
July I was still having terrible acne and that's when I wanted to throw in the towel. I thought there was NO way I would get my period on my own again and that the month before was just rare luck.
Well, on cycle day 28 I woke up to AUNT FLOW! A 28 day cycle! I don't remember when I've ever had a 28 day cycle!

I really really believe it is because of the NAC. I have tried all kinds of supplements in the past and have never had these kinds of results.
I am actually going to start upping my dosage to see if that helps with the acne. In the study women took 1800mg of NAC and I am only taking 600mg.

Here is a link to the study which the PCOS association published on their website:
http://thepcosandinfertilityjourney....etyl-cysteine/

Quote:
"Researchers at Erclyes University in Turkey studied 100 women with PCOS for six months. One group took 500 mg. of metformin 3 times a day. The other group took 600 mg of NAC 3 times a day.

As metformin is a drug and NAC is a nutritional supplement, you might think the former would produce better results. But you’d be wrong.

There was virtually no difference between metformin and NAC on the women’s condition. Both groups of women showed improvement in such areas as testosterone reduction, insulin normalization, lessening of body hair (hirsutism) and menstrual regularity."
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #2  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

thanks for the post ill ask my naturopath about it
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Default This is the study from the website...

Quote:
Clinical, endocrine and metabolic effects of metformin vs N-acetyl-cysteine in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.
Oner G, Muderris II.
Source

Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey. [email protected]

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To evaluate the clinical, endocrine and metabolic effects of metformin and N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

STUDY DESIGN:

In this prospective trial, 100 women with PCOS were randomly divided to receive metformin (500 mg p.o. three times daily) or NAC (600 mg p.o. three times daily) for 24 weeks. Hyperandrogenism, lipid profiles, hirsutism scores, menstrual irregularity, insulin sensitivity and tumour necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) levels were measured at baseline and after the treatment period.
RESULTS:

Both treatments resulted in a significant decrease in body mass index, hirsutism score, fasting insulin, HOMA index, free testosterone and menstrual irregularity compared with baseline values, and both treatments had equal efficacy. NAC led to a significant decrease in both total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein levels, whereas metformin only led to a decrease in total cholesterol level. Although TNF-α levels increased following treatment for both groups, the difference from baseline was not significant.

CONCLUSIONS:

Metformin and NAC appear to have comparable effects on hyperandrogenism, hyperinsulinaemia and menstrual irregularity in women with PCOS. The effects of metformin and NAC on insulin sensitivity are not associated with TNF-α.
Take into consideration that NAC does have side effects, even if they are less common:

Quote:
Side Effects

N-Acetylcysteine may trigger a number of side effects, including nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. What's more, N-acetylcysteine can increase your levels of homocysteine (an amino acid linked to heart disease). If you're taking N-acetylcysteine, it's important to get your homocysteine levels checked on a regular basis.

In addition, N-acetylcysteine may interact with several drugs (including certain blood pressure medications, medicines that suppress the immune system, cancer drugs and medications that treat chest pain).
Make sure you let someone know you're taking it -- your Endo, your GP, your mom, husband, someone!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote