PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Question about PCOS

My friend has PCOS and before she went to the doctor this past week she was my number one workout partner and determined to lose the weight. Now that she went to the doctor he told her she doesn't need to lose weight and if she does to not lose more than 3 lbs per Month. She's over 250 and unhappy with herself but now that the doctor told her this she's all of a sudden okay with how she looks and uses the excuse of she can't lose weight. Is this true about the 3 lbs a month and is there anything I can do so encourage her without putting her health at risk? Not only for my support buddy but I'm worried about her health too.
KatieAlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/150/115

Height: 5'1"

I have never heard of a PCOS 3lb a month rule. If a PCOS patient can lose more than 3 pounds a month, I'd see that as a good thing!

It can be very difficult to lose weight with this problem, but not impossible. The doctor should be helping her lose it, not discouraging it (assuming this is the only thing wrong). Because it predisposes people to heart and blood pressure issues, compounding that with being overweight can be problematic.

Can you talk her into a second opinion...
Crystal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #3  

Without all the personal details its hard to say. Coming from experience, I have pcos and currently weigh 252 and my entire body hurts when I get this big. I'm 4'9" and should only weigh between 95-125. My highest weight has been 265 and at that point I had a hard time even breathing and bending my legs to get my pants on. My reproductive endocrinologist highly recommends me losing as much weight as possible. However, that said, its generally not smart to lose more than 3 lbs a week. Even so, its very hard to lose that much, so I don't see why she wouldn't be able to work out. Hope you can reason with her. It won't be a comfortable place for her when she has a hard time even getting dressed in the mornings. Please let us know how it turns out!
turboturtle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #4  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5ī4.5

Yes, with PCOS the goal is to get ALL the weight off possible. Our problem can dissappear once we are smaller, and help us reach fertility. It is crazy that an RE or any Dr would tell a woman at her weight that she didnīt have to diet and if so just lose 3lbs a month.

I am about 5ī5 and weigh 160. My Dr. says I should weigh NO MORE than 135 and do everything in my power to get the weight off.

Maybe your friend should get a second opinion.
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

You are a good friend to be concerned -- that's awesome!

I'm going to throw in another POV though.

You weren't there and you are not her and you aren't the doc, right? You are getting this second hand only from what the friend says. She may not be saying it all to you.

In general you DO want to lose weight with PCOS because it can help reduce so many symptoms, hormone wacky, insulin resistance, etc.

On the FLIP side... getting the dx can be both a relief (yay! I'm not crazy! There's a REASON for all this!) and a HUGE bummer. (OMG! Will I never have kids? There is NO cure? Am I doooomed? Can I afford the costs of chronic patient world? Is my quality of life gonna take a dive? )

It is a LOT to take in. You are working through the stages of grief at times.

When I got my dx? I was NOT up for telling everyone about it. Just my spouse. People mean well and want to help, but when you feel extra fragile like that you may not want all eyes looking in at you. YKWIM? You don't want to have to explain a condition you may not know a lot about yourself yet. You don't want to answer personal questions like when are you having kids then?

What I wanted to do was start by processing feelings and reading more about PCOS and learn. I did NOT want to start out by hitting the gym!

So if your friend is facing mental health issues, it's not unusual. All new patients can get overwhelmed. Some people take the news better than others.It's not often talked about -- the psychiatric side of PCOS -- but I know I was anxious, depressed, suicidal feeling at times right before the dx because it had been TEN YEARS of no answers! And I'm a cheerful optimistic person in general!

I have no idea which type personality she is (pessimist? optimist? something else?) or how long she's been seeking a dx. Those factors can play in here.

The doc may just want her to let go of weight loss pressure for now. Focus on boosting her mental health to a better spot. No more than 3 lbs -- like to not be OBSESSING with it. Don't fuel the "new patient overwhelmed" by piling too much on her at once, or actual depression, or anxiety or wherever her mental/emotional health is at right now.

Not because she never needs to do it. It just may be better in her unique case not to do it FIRST. Putting her mental health needs ahead of the body needs.

But who knows? It may be that he's a clueless doc. I certainly had plenty of them!

But since it's her private patient info... you can't just MAKE her talk.

I'd approach her gently and tell her you want to be as supportive as possible without intruding because you know a PCOS dx can be a lot to take in. That you want to let her know you are here for her but don't want to overwhelm.

Then see where she takes it maybe?

And don't wait for her to tell you what to do. If you are good friends, decide something simple to do for her to show her you care. When in a fog of new dx overload, the last thing I'd want to do it tell others how to help me. That's more load!

Surely she has things that need doing. Everyone does. Make her a coupon book of small tasks like that that she can call you up to redeem.

Go walk her dog, babysit her kid, wash her car, whatever. These small acts of kindness doesn't solve her PCOS probs but it gives her some free time so she can nap, read, think things over, whatever.

Or if you cannot think of small tasks, put hunks of your time on the coupon book with a blank for her to write what she wants you to do . 30 min, 60 min, 90 min cards. Then she could ask you for 30 min of your time to come over and walk the dog or whatever it is.

Your pal is lucky to have you!

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-09-2012 at 03:35 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #6  

Well here is the big problem. She has been to 2 other doctors and they were more worried about her weight than the pcos. Since this doctor is more focused on her pcos than her weight she is sticking with this doctor. So a second opinion is out. And sges also trying to have a baby.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Well, if TTC is on the table... makes sense why she wants to address the fertility side of PCOS right away. Her thoughts may be more in the TTC, menses, miscarriage risk, pregnancy place.

It won't hurt her to lose some weight along the way though because TTC can take a while even for non-PCOS people.

And speaking as a high risk plus size PCOS pregnancy person -- it's not a piece of cake! If I'd had more time to lose more I would have! But then if you are shooting for a certain age bracket to have the kids you don't always have the chance to lose weight as far down as you want either.

Sometimes you have to make a judgement call because only ONE thing can be on the front burner at a time.

Be supportive as best you can. She'll find her way. Does she know about soulcysters? They have a much largers PCOS TTC crowd over there.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-09-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #8  

I'm not sure if she knows about that or not. And I know she us trying to have a baby because of the risk of when she gets older she might not be able to get pregnant. What is ttc? And the doctor thinks her lubes might be closed. I just want her to be healthy. She's had it ever since she can remember. And she was so into getting fit until this doctor told her otherwise. She's taking some pill right now so she will have a peeiod since she hasnt had one in a few months and it was irregular at that. Thanks for helping me understand more.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

TTC = Trying to Conceive

She might want to take a look at the PCOS charts at www.tcoyf.com or think about charting too help with TTC.

Again... losing weight can help. Esp with wacky cycles. But don't push. If she's not up for the gym thing right now because her head is full of worries, pushing won't help.

I don't know how long she's been TTC either -- that can get depressing or stressy for some people. Or if she's lost a pregnancy... she may be sad. (Again -- not everyone shares everything all the time. Sometimes they keep it to themselves. )

Just let it unfold however it will and be her pal.

A.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #10  

I'm kinda against her trying to have a baby right but only because she's not in a stable relationship (being a single mom myself I don't want that for her). But now I understand why she's trying to. I will try to encourage her to maybe go with me for a walk or something.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAlyse View Post
I'm kinda against her trying to have a baby right but only because she's not in a stable relationship (being a single mom myself I don't want that for her). But now I understand why she's trying to. I will try to encourage her to maybe go with me for a walk or something.
I'm sure it's hard! But if she feels this may be her only window to have kids, you have to let her make her own decisions. It may not be what you would do, but it is her life... We can just offer support from the sidelines.

I think asking her to go for a walk and to focus on being healthy for the pregnancy is the right approach.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #12  

Yeah I have never said anything to her about thinking its a bad idea, just always thought it. But I understand now kinda where she is coming from wanting to try even though it might not be the best situation. I'm one of those people that thinks one thing but if will make that person happy then I wont say my opinion. I'm just very concered with her health though and from what I've read if she does get pregnant and she doesn't try to lose some weight it could be bad on her and the baby. I just don't know how to come across it in a nice way. To say you need to lose weight and you'll have a better chance. Instead (I talked to her yesterday) she is turning to pills to help her get pregnant, but my question is (because I'm just totally lost on this whole pcos thing) if she does get pregnant what is going to help her keep the baby? I'm sorry if I'm frustrating some of you I just want to uncerstand so I can support her or maybe give her some different ideas from all of you that you have done. Thanks again for any help.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Just because you have PCOS doesn't mean you miscarry! It also doesn't mean infertility. The thing with PCOS is that it's not a black or white thing, this happens and that doesn't happen. It varies from person to person, because there are so many variables out there.

There are some great books you might want to gift her, if she doesn't have them already, like A Patient's Guide to PCOS and The Savvy Woman's Guide to PCOS.

Those books will give her guidance with her doctors AND with what she should do for herself to manage her PCOS.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I'm not frustrated. I think it is awesome you care so much about your friend!

I only know my own experience with a PCOS pregnancy. Her case may play out different -- we are all different.

Some people take Metformin to regulate cycles. Then stop. Or continue in first trimester to get past the main miscarry time. Some take it all the way through to help with gestational diabetes risk as well! Others rely on Clomid or consider IVF. What best options are there for the PCOS patient depends on her particular case.

But there's the questions a nonPCOS person would wonder too that the PCOS patient considers.

Some want a natural birth, some want a schedule c-sect. Some want cloth diapers, some want disposable. Some want to breastfeed, some want formula. Some hope for a boy or a girl, some want to be surprised on gender. The list goes on and on with all these parenting choices!

Just having PCOS doesn't mean she's doomed or not be able to enjoy being pregnant or enjoy mothering the baby once born. Many PCOS moms DO exist!

I think the best thing is still going to be show her you care, be around as a supportive listener for whatever she wants to bring up, but don't be offended if she's not ready or doesn't want to share EVERYTHING that's going on with her case. That's all.

You could gently ask her if it helps her if you read PCOS things and bring them to her attention or if she rather cover that herself. You know your friend best and whether or not that's something that would be well received.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #15  

Thanks for all the info! It has really helped! And the reason I asked about the miscarry is because she was worried about it.