PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 248/248/170

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

just going to pop in and share my experience. I am a PCOS'er and I had major facial hair and neck hair. It was getting worse as I got older, to the point where I had to do it more than once a week and I was becoming more and more self conscious. I bit the bullett and got a consltation at Ideal Image. I am doing my whole face and neck and let me tell you after the first session, my skin was flawless and smooth. It felt great. Well, I figured it would be back soon, But guess what. It was minimal, it was definitely not as bad or came back as quick. I just went for my second session yesterday and I am so happy that I finally decided to do this. Best money ever spent. Also, there are different types of lasers. , I was told, the lasers are not at all created equal. Good luck.
TwinMomRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #17  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
I'm having the debate between laser and electrolysis. I've looked and read and everyone seems to have an opinion. It's my understanding that laser isn't permanent but rather long term hair removal.

I don't mean to hijack but feel the same way with my self esteem taking hits due to facial hair. I think my self esteem has suffered more over the hair than it has my weight.
I tried both. For me, electrolysis is better choice as in addition to the dark hairs I have some blond whiskers as well (laser doesn't get the light ones). Also personally I find laser too painful as area that needs most attention is my upper lip.

The individual hair follicle may be permanently killed, but there are others to pop up so I've been going for more than 5 years and still need to go. However have gone thru periods where only needed a few appointments a year. Now that menopause is starting I've had to go back to 8 week intervals as hair growth seems to be accelerating all over my body while hormones change. Friends envy my long healthy hair at my age until I tell them the maintenance it takes to keep the hair off the rest of my body parts.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #18  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

I'm thinking of trying Ideal Image as well. My problem area is my chin, period.

Hopefully I can stockpile some cash over the next couple months so that I can go for at least a few sessions. My hair isn't TOO awful, but the constant need to tweeze is driving me crazy.

How have the results been for everyone? How much $$$ total have you sunk into laser removal? I heard from someone at my office that she has to go every three months to maintain the results. She didn't elaborate on cost but I can imagine it isn't cheap.
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #19  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

I've had around ten sessions on my upper and lip and chin over the past year and a half. You can shave before/in-between sessions, you just can't wax or pluck. It does feel a bit weird shaving your face like a guy, but you get used to it.
When I started I had to fill out a consent form explaining that because I have PCOS I understand that this is hair reduction, not permanent removal. The answer is simply that once a hair follicle is dead, it wont regrow another hair. But since we have all kinds of wacky hormones, another one can sprout up again right next to it.
My upper lip is great, I don't worry about that anymore at all. I still have problem areas on either side of my chin that likes to sprout up stiff black hair, but the amount is greatly reduced since starting laser removal.
I say if you can find a good deal (lots of deals on coupon sites it seems) then go for it! It doesnt hurt at all, and whatever it kills forever will be less than you started with!
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

I actually may look into this, as my gift to myself after I've lost the weight.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #21  

The place I went outside of Boston, Ma cost $250 a session. I'm pale and the hair was dark. I didn't pluck for over a month and just didn't shave it for a couple of days before the session and it did awesome. Two sessions has lasted me for three years. I need another touch up now though.
GwenSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

As others have said, you can shave, just not pluck or wax.

I must say, I was extremely disappointed in my laser hair removal. I was so pumped early on because I could see it falling out and it seemed like a lot. I knew that it might not be 100% gone after six sessions because results vary by individual. But I probably only had about a 30% reduction in the end, if that. I couldn't afford to do any more, so I guess I just have to deal.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote