PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #1  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Default gained 42lbs since going of the pill.

In October 2010 when i started bcp i was 238lbs when i stopped in Feb 2011 i was down t0 222lbs and that was without dieting or exercise. Now a year later I'm 267lbs. And i haven't had a period since August now. That's 7 months! Dont know what to do at this point. I don't want to use any hormones because of the blood clot risk. And metformin just makes me feel sick all the time.

I'm trying to diet but my addiction to sugar gets the better of me. I stop eating sugar for 3 days and binge for 3 weeks.

I miss being on bcp . My mood was stable, my cravings were little to none. And my periods were regular.

But since hearing about all those law suits against yasmin i had been turned off by it.

I'm just so frustrated at this point. With pcos and this extra weight.

I'm only 23 and i wonder how I am going to deal with this for the rest if my life.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #2  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

Height: 5'2"

I'm surprised you lost weight while being on the pill. Usually, birth control pills trick your body into thinking it's pregnant, and your body no longer allows weight loss. (That's how it was for me, I gained 12 lbs in a month because of bcp.)

I'm taking it that you have insulin resistance because you have been taking Metformin. I take it, and it doesn't bother my stomach.. Do you take it on an empty stomach? Are you on any other medications?

Addiction to sugar - VERY common... If you're able, take all of the processed sugar products out of your house, and replace them with fresh fruits and stevia. I say stevia, because other chemically synthesized sugar substitutes such as splenda (sucralose) cause you to crave sugar. So, eat naturally occuring sugars (fruit).

My suggested snack: Sliced strawberries topped with a little stevia for sweetness.. Eat it slowly, and keep yourself busy to keep your mind off of sugar.

Also, it's very important to treat yourself once in a while... I've heard people quitting sugar consumption cold turkey, and I don't think I could do that. When I'm craving something, I have a sugar free chocolate cookie or something.

Unfortunately, this is the best advice I can give, and I wish you the best of luck!!!

Last edited by EmilyLarnder; 03-13-2012 at 11:38 AM.
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

You may have to get back on BCP if that was working for you.

Has your doctor indicated that you're in a risk group for blood clots? Or are you just worried about it in general because of the lawsuits?

I would talk to your doctor about it. I got off BCP because I had been on them for 15 years and it never helped my PCOS and I think it helped me keep the weight on, rather than helping me take it off.

On a side note, instead of going cold turkey on sugar, I would try doing other things first. Baby steps is the name of the game, in my opinion. Instead of just cutting if off, why don't you add more fruit and vegetables to your diet?

And when you do want to eat that cookie, pair it with a protein -- for example, a Chip Ahoy cookie and a mozzarella stick (low fat). That combination will help balance the sugar-rush that you get in your body. Eating more fruits and vegetables will also help you satisfy part of that sweet tooth.

Once you feel stronger over the addiction, you can start to eliminate items from you diet, gradually. Sugar is an addiction, I have it and I manage it, it never goes away.

PCOS sucks, but you are at the right age to start getting a grip on it. I didn't do it when I was your age, and I really wish I had. I might have offset some of the other symptoms I have a lot sooner if I had worked on it.

This is a mental thing as much as a physical problem. Find a way to get in the right head space to deal with it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #4  
Chubby Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyLarnder View Post
I'm surprised you lost weight while being on the pill. Usually, birth control pills trick your body into thinking it's pregnant, and your body no longer allows weight loss. (That's how it was for me, I gained 12 lbs in a month because of bcp.)

I'm taking it that you have insulin resistance because you have been taking Metformin. I take it, and it doesn't bother my stomach.. Do you take it on an empty stomach? Are you on any other medications?

Addiction to sugar - VERY common... If you're able, take all of the processed sugar products out of your house, and replace them with fresh fruits and stevia. I say stevia, because other chemically synthesized sugar substitutes such as splenda (sucralose) cause you to crave sugar. So, eat naturally occuring sugars (fruit).

My suggested snack: Sliced strawberries topped with a little stevia for sweetness.. Eat it slowly, and keep yourself busy to keep your mind off of sugar.

Also, it's very important to treat yourself once in a while... I've heard people quitting sugar consumption cold turkey, and I don't think I could do that. When I'm craving something, I have a sugar free chocolate cookie or something.

Unfortunately, this is the best advice I can give, and I wish you the best of luck!!!
Thanks for the post.

I always took metformin on a full stomach. But still made me feel sick as a dog.
My first week was fine but when i had to start taking 1000mg TMI but i started to get the runs and always feeling like throwing up.

I think i do need to clean my fridge. I got stuff in my fridge that is like 400 calories per serving and loaded with sugar.

Last edited by helwa588; 03-13-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I know what you mean about moods. I was one of those people and I just quit BCP so I really worry about the moody cranky coming back! The hormone related cravings too... ugh.

In the past when it had been too long without period I'd go in to the doc and ask for Provera and do either the 5 day withdrawal or the 10 day pill set to bring it on.

If you are thinking of going back... Check out the BCP article first. Not all pills are good for PCOS people -- some aggravate high androgen and insulin resistance. Like all meds you have to weight the risks, pros, cons in your own situation. Not having a regular period ups the risks for endo cancer. We've had cancer in my fam, so I was more worried for that than blood clots in my situation. How you feel about the risks depends what your family med history has going on.

If the Metformin made you sick and you are rethinking that part of it, talk to doc about Metformin extended release or a whole other one. For a short while I took Glumetza because it is absored elsewhere -- I think small intestine? Every person's individual biochemistry is different. But don't lose hope... keep looking. It's also not always just the Met -- it's what you eat WITH the met. If I ate junk food on Met, I knew I'd have a dire rear! Even now when I take 2000 mg fine without trouble I know if I eat something that's too processed I'm going to pay the piper!

I'd like to get on spironolactone for my high androgen next time I see doc. That's part of why I went off BCP -- to get a clear blood panel to see where hormones are at without BCP influence.

Coming off sugar will help -- but if you were on metformin for the IR you could be facing some pretty huge hunger pangs. I tried my best to fight them myself for 2 years but last month I finally decided to try phentermine to knock it off. (hunger).

At the same time I'm taking Metformin and exercising and hoping that I'll lose enough weight to improve the IR and get the "volume" turned down on IR hunger pangs so I can take it the rest of the way without phentermine.
(Phentermine also won't work for everyone and it's best as a short tune. It's not a magic pill.)

Really what you decide to explore with your doctor as solutions for your individual case is between you and doc.

But the best things are still free -- exercise gets a big ol 5 stars and so does eating less carbs on the PCOS treatment faq! And regardless of medication we all do those! http://pcosfaq.com/

Hang in there -- there's a learning curve to managing it. Chronic patient doesn't have to mean DOOOOM. You will be ok. Just one step at a time here.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-13-2012 at 02:20 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #6  
Chubby Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
You may have to get back on BCP if that was working for you.

Has your doctor indicated that you're in a risk group for blood clots? Or are you just worried about it in general because of the lawsuits?

I would talk to your doctor about it. I got off BCP because I had been on them for 15 years and it never helped my PCOS and I think it helped me keep the weight on, rather than helping me take it off.

On a side note, instead of going cold turkey on sugar, I would try doing other things first. Baby steps is the name of the game, in my opinion. Instead of just cutting if off, why don't you add more fruit and vegetables to your diet?

And when you do want to eat that cookie, pair it with a protein -- for example, a Chip Ahoy cookie and a mozzarella stick (low fat). That combination will help balance the sugar-rush that you get in your body. Eating more fruits and vegetables will also help you satisfy part of that sweet tooth.

Once you feel stronger over the addiction, you can start to eliminate items from you diet, gradually. Sugar is an addiction, I have it and I manage it, it never goes away.

PCOS sucks, but you are at the right age to start getting a grip on it. I didn't do it when I was your age, and I really wish I had. I might have offset some of the other symptoms I have a lot sooner if I had worked on it.

This is a mental thing as much as a physical problem. Find a way to get in the right head space to deal with it.

My doctor told me i wasn't at risk but i met people my age who have suffered from blood clots due to bcp. I'm a little bit of a hypochondriac so whenever hear about things like that i stay away from it.

And yes sugar is an addiction. It is more like the devil. I feel like with drugs and alcohol addicts can just stay away from places that have it. But with sugar it is everywhere and in everything . Even things you wouldn't think have sugar in it do. I think that's why i have such a hard time with it. I feel suffocated with sugar.

Definitely will try the cheese and cookie combo.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #7  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helwa588 View Post
Thanks for the post.

I always took metformin on a full stomach. But still made me feel sick as a dog.
My first week was fine but when i had to start taking 1000mg TMI but i started to get the runs and always feeling like throwing up.

I think i do need to clean my fridge. I got stuff in my fridge that is like 400 calories per serving and loaded with sugar.
Yess! Those things that are over four hundred calories are definitely not something you want to have around...

If you want to treat yourself, go out and buy a little something, but not in bulk (don't take it home with you).

And I see why the Metformin would make you sick. I take 500 mg once a day, and it makes me a little nauseous if I take it on an empty stomach.

Always remember - It's never too late, and it's never hopeless. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #8  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

Also, I think that there are other things you can take for insulin resistance other than Metformin.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #9  

Hi. I completely know how you feel about being suffocated with sugar. There's not much anymore that doesn't have some form of HFCS.

Speaking from experience, my RE asked me to pick Atkins or South Beach. I've been with SB for a while now. It is excruciating getting away from the sugar cravings, but the few things that have saved me are Sugar Free Jello (pudding and the jiggly stuff) and sugar free Popsicles. Some can't tolerate the alternative sugar much, but so long as moderation is your policy I think you'd be fine.

Just like astrophe I've learned to moderate my eating while on Metformin. I'm now up to 1000mg/day and I've only had one bad spell. I know it was my fault though bcz I ate some super tasty food with lots of sugar and carbs and then didn't take my pill on a full stomach.

Its so hard, I know, but at some point we gotta buckle down and do it. I hope you can find something that works for you.
turboturtle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Completely off-topic, but I love your name TurboTurtle!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote