PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default 2012 March PCOS Support Thread

A new month! Let's round up for March! (The old Feb 2012 thread is here. )

Who is here this month?
How are you?
How was last month?
How is your PCOS management last month?
What are you going to work on in March?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-01-2012 at 08:12 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Who is here this month? Me! Astrophe. Pretty much a regular poster in this forum.

How are you?
Doing much better.

How was last month?
Some PCOS moood funk but overall pretty good. March is my 20th anniversary of being a chronic patient and I always get moody around here. But 20 years kinda hit me hard.

I had to check my old Feb post. My goal was to get DH better PCOS educated and buckle down to lose some weight.

Well, he's still working on it. He knows some things from living with me so long, but he's not good at articulating and advocating yet. So I'm going to keep on working on that with him.

I started endoc supervised Phentermine and did lose weight. I had dry mouth as a side effect. Also got a bit restless/heart poundy so she cut me in half on the dose. I seem fine so far though initially that worried me. On the other hand, it helps me not to have the afternoon energy slump, so I'm not napping and then then the quality of my night sleep is SO much better.

We'll see how March goes. I see her in April so this is supposed to be a tool to get me going again -- a supervised short run thing and I call the office with any problems right away. (It's my first time on anything like this so I'm leery. Glad it is helping but looking forward to coming off! )

So Feb goals went ok.

I have the books and I'd like to try to get an appt with PCOS Nutrition. Now that I see they will do phone or Skype appts too. Preparing for coming off the phen. I think I do ok as it is, but it doesn't hurt to check in with a dietitian to make sure. Last time I saw a dietitian was when I was TTC and my kid is 8! She was good at diabetes nutrition, so I'm interested to see what a PCOS dietitian is like and if anything new has been learned.

I'm working on earning my next PALA. I've been on track so end of March should get me there if I stay the course. So I'm going to say that as my #2 goal.

Here's to March, gang!

A.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Who is here this month?

I'm here! As always! Steady... I think, ultimately hope, that participating here makes me more accountable and allows me to vent my frustrations to a group that understands!

How are you?

I'm okay. Not great. I'm tired, cranky, stressed out, and I haven't seen the scale move very much.

How was last month?

I survived it, which is good but I don't feel particular successful.

I'm still doing what I've been always doing, but I know I need to tighten things up and I really don't wanna.

My inner four-year-old is currently winning the battle. A friend of mine was saying that she understands the amount of stress that I'm under (which is NEVER a good thing for PCOS) and that I need to find a way to just take little bites out of the things that I need to get done to finish it all.

I work full time, go to school full time, and I'm trying to continue finishing the journey, and I have a bunch of other "obligations" (Friends, Family, and Boyfriend) that pull me in all kinds of directions and I feel like I am just drifting from one area to the next, without really focusing on what's important... well, because it ALL feels like it's important.

My goal is to focus on my food. My exercise is fine, it's a routine and I don't think too much about it (which is GREAT).

It's the food that gets to me. Despite doing this for so long, I still don't love to cook, I still don't like planning meals, and I still don't like spending my time doing all of that.

But I have to!

Also, my insurance looks like they paid for me to have a glucose meter so I'm going to be testing my blood sugar regularly just to set baselines and to see how food affects me. I feel, in some ways, that I am eating stuff that prevents me from losing weight even if it's in moderation.

My boyfriend, who sees what I eat, can't believe I'm not thinner than what I am based on how much I exercise and what he sees me eat. So, I'm either sneaking things in (which I am trying to be conscious about) or my blood sugar (Insulin Resistance) is kicking my *** with the foods I'm eating.

I'm hoping this will help me figure it out.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #4  
Workin' towards success!

S/C/G: 278/Ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Who is here this month?
I'm still here and still kicking my way through the pounds . Or at least I am trying to.

How are you?
Fine, but the Metformin that I am taking, hasn't given me an upset stomach but ummmm...more of a small diarrhea problem. But from what I remember the this was what happened the first time I started taking it the last time and that doctor said it was fine then so I'm not worrying too much. It seems to have stopped for the most part. I've recently added walking/jogging into my exercise routine. I now switch my days up a bit though right now I like to go walking/jogging I just hope I don't burn myself out on it . I try to make a game of it to see if I can push myself a bit further everyday in minutes or sometimes uping the distance that I jog to. Sounds cheesy but for me it works. The other things I'm noticed is that other people like to have others around to talk to but I don't I'd rather be left alone when walking/jogging. I told my mom this today when she asked if I wanted her to walk with me and I kinda gently told her that I was fine alone. I told her I don't mind if she walks with me but that I'd rather listen to my music and not talk (it messes me up plus it makes it feel even longer for me). She did walk with me today although I was smoking her (she is usually out walks me and has to slow down ), it was really odd to experience that .

How was last month?
Good but got better as I went through it day by day.

So-so, because of my rough start with BC pills that I got rid of afterwords. I finally got my doctor to prescribe my Metformin though so we shall see how this goes for me.

Walking/jogging seeing how far I can push myself without breaking and managing my PCOS along with my weight.
Jinxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker

Who is here this month?
Me & my 208.7lbs @$$ ugh!

How are you?
Been better. Stressed at work, home, studying etc.

How was last month?
Food & exercise-wise almost perfect. Weight loss.. not so much. I've gone up almost 2 lbs and been stuck @ 208.7 for the last ~4 weeks!!! ugh!!

My OBGYN told me to just lose weight for now. No Met or BCPs so I'm doing that. Still waiting for TOM. My cycles are becoming longer & I'm worried.

I need to break this never ending plateau so I'm gonna have to shake things up a bit. My plan is as follows:
1 - Food: Go on the 30-day paleo challenge: Its a low-carb diet allows for 1 fruit and 1-2oz of nuts if you are trying to lose weight + 4-6 oz of protein, some fat and plenty of veggies per meal.
2 - Exercise: Move from Week 1 to Week 4 on Jillian's Ripped in 30 x 5 a week. Coupled with a Step workout x 3 and Yoga x 2 a week.
3 - Motivation/Accountability: No weigh-ins till after 30 days. I'm already handing over my scales to my sister to make sure I don't touch them till April 1st. Log all my food + exercise. Check on here & tumblr & blog more often.

This is also a nice idea for motivation.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Rana -- Hang in there! You are probably the most on top of her PCOS thing here! You exercise great, and you watch the food front. But I hear you on stress. Do your best there. And remind yourself the difference between "urgent" and "important." They are not always the same even if "urgent" things feel important.

Jinxy: WTG! Esp smokin' Mom when she used to be faster than you. Not a slam on mom, just nice to notice fitness progress! I've had that loose stool thing when starting Met or when overdoing the carbs as I tend to do at period time. The cravings kill me. Maybe see if it is carb related in your case? I blame mine on some pineapple cake my mother made and I had a hard time saying "No thanks" to when I visited the parents. Sooooo menstrual!

JigglyBits: Aw... don't be too hard on you. Maintaining is AWESOME in PCOS world! I've had too much weight creep to not celebrate holding STILL as much as losing. How long was it since last TOM? When I was off the pill if it went too long, I'd ask for a round of provera just to clear it out. The longest I let it go was like 1-2 yrs once in college and then I got more vigilant about it. 2x a year at least.

I actually got my period too early -- ended active blue pills in BCP pack and was going into the green pills and bam! It arrived! So I expect some weirdness there as my body chills out from BCP influences. I still track on www.tcoyf.com software but just menses. Now I have to start doing the temps again to watch it better.

MY CHECK IN:

Lots of house to clean so I best get to it. UGH. I keep asking me why bother when these peeps ruin it over the weekend but if I don't do it it will be THAT MUCH WORSE on monday! LOL.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-02-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

PS: Ruth the mod kindly "stickied" the PCOS types poll at the top of the PCOS forum page. So if you hadn't weighed in on that before and want to -- go ahead!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #8  
Hello There

S/C/G: 190/173/150

Height: 5'7

Who is here this month?
Still here and determined to eat smarter and lose the extra weight.

How are you?
Ok but still wish the weight will go down faster.

How was last month?
I did pretty good at the beginning of the month, experienced a day or two of emotional eating due to pressure from work mid month. Craved for pizzas and I let myself indulge 3 times. Felt guilty after but it's life and I've got to learn to accept the curve balls.

Since finding out I'm IR, I've lowered my carbs intake quite a bit, eating lots of salads. I find myself not feeling sleepy or needing a nap around 3pm. But I haven't seen major weight drop from the switch of simple to complex carbs.

Lose more weight. I've got 6 months to lose 24 pounds.
susiederkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #9  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Who is here this month?

I'm still here.

How are you?

Doing okay. Lots of work stress today and as a result, I am starving (surprise). I'm fighting the munchies at the moment!!

How was last month?

Alright. Apparently I spoke too soon about being regular again with my periods. I skipped February after getting TOM in Oct, Dec, & Jan. Guess I am not back to "normal" after all! I had been questioning if I have PCOS or another related issue until I skipped another one (despite my OB GYN saying my ovaries appeared normal - not that I trust him - he's a dope & a jerk). So ... last month & this month are confusing!!

Well, like I said, no TOM last month. My chin still needs tweezing almost every day which irks me to no end. I still feel like I'm losing hair on my head.

I did start taking Biotin 5000 mcg 2x day and drinking mint tea (spearmint is the second ingredient, which is the best I could find) last week. I'm hoping this helps.

I'd like to lose at least 8 pounds. I lost 6.8 in February, which wasn't as much as I wanted but considering I had surgery and ate crap food for a week, I'm grateful for it.

I'm also planning on going back to my primary doctor this month to touch base and figure out what I need to do for this hair loss/growth business. Also I'd like to have my labs done so we can figure out if I actually have PCOS or not. (My doc gave me the dx of PCOS in Oct due to my symptoms and lab results --- but that was prior to the discovery I had one large cyst which was removed in Dec. Labs haven't been done since and until Feb, it appeared TOM was regular again.) Anyway, some certainty would be fantastic!! Maybe I need an endo doc. I dunno. UGH! Wish things were more clear-cut.

I have really learned throughout this whole thing that we are truly in charge of our own healthcare. I'm working on being more directive and assertive with voicing my concerns and preferences. It doesn't come naturally to me but I'm finding it's like a muscle that only strengthens though regular exercise. Does that make any sense??

Take care all. Thanks for listening/reading.

Last edited by PghGal; 03-05-2012 at 08:01 PM.
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Who is here this month?

This is my first time posting here.

How are you?

Doing okay. I was traveling on business last week, so it's good to be home this week.

How was last month?

I finally went to see an endocrinologist at the end of the month! Feb wasn't great because I only managed to lose 2 pounds.

The endo confirmed that I have PCOS. She put me on Progesterone to start my periods, but it hasn't worked. She also put me on spiro for the elevated testosterone. She said I have all the signs of IR (dark skin patches, etc), but the blood work came back normal, so I didn't get medicine to help with IR. I'm not sure why it didn't show up on the test since I'm almost certain that I am IR.

I'm going to try the spiro, and see what that does. I'm really hoping to be able to find out what I need to do to lose weight at a faster rate. At this rate, it is going to take me well over two years to lose the weight. That is very disappointing.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

susiederkins: That's great on the sleepy! WTG!

PghGal: Totally makes sense to me. I'm having to flex that muscle too and if I end up being the patient from ****... so be it. It's MY health.

PrettyMom09: That happened to me. My IR labs came back down to normal. But I still had the AN. I asked my endoc -- maybe I'm messed up but my body can still produce enough on its won to offset it on a lab. What about THAT? She said she didn't know. Makes me nuts. But I'm back on the Metformin.

Take heart. 2 years to lose 100 ish it where I'm at too and really? 52 weeks in a year? A lb a week or so? That's not shabby at all even with a nonPCOS person! And even if it takes me longer than 2 years I have to keep on trying. I can't not try.

MY CHECK IN:

Everyone here is sick with cold -- kid, parents. My ear hurts. I'm keeping up on the food log, laying low on everything else. I saw the doc and got meds. Not fun being sick but we'll muddle on through and get past it.
Just wish she didn't bring things home from school!

Last edited by astrophe; 03-08-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #12  

Astrophe - I hope you are feeling better today. My youngest daughter had strep throat this week, but the rest of us seem to be fine, hopefully that won't change. My endocrinologist had said she was almost positive that I am IR when I went to see her, but since the labs came back normal she won't give me a prescription for metformin. I'm thinking that the reason my lab results came back with normal blood sugar is that I've been eating almost no sugar since January, but I'm sure I'm still IR. I'll have to ask her again in 3 months when I go see her.

PhGal - It is so frustrating to have to do the work for your doctor and yet have them look at you like you're crazy for coming up with ideas they didn't come up with first.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiederkins View Post
Since finding out I'm IR, I've lowered my carbs intake quite a bit, eating lots of salads. I find myself not feeling sleepy or needing a nap around 3pm. But I haven't seen major weight drop from the switch of simple to complex carbs.
Hi susie! The fact that you no longer need to sleep around 3 PM is a great sign! Good for you. You may have to take the next step and just lower your carbohydrates from grains to carbohydrates from fruit/vegetables to see weight loss. But it is a sign that you have something going on there with your blood sugar! At least you're addressing it. Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghGal View Post
I have really learned throughout this whole thing that we are truly in charge of our own healthcare. I'm working on being more directive and assertive with voicing my concerns and preferences. It doesn't come naturally to me but I'm finding it's like a muscle that only strengthens though regular exercise. Does that make any sense??
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

We have to be our own best advocates with our doctors. I spent too much time with docs that didn't know what they were doing and I've lost that idea that they are some kind of GOD that knows more than anyone else. They may have specialized in one area, but it doesn't mean they aren't human, limited by their own specialization/knowledge, or even that they are having a bad day.

I take a lot of what I learn to the doctor's office and I do question them about it and I don't necessarily even follow their advice if I don't think it's right for my body.

Back in 2010, my endoc wanted me on Metformin because that's how he wanted to treat me. I said no. I lost weight anyway. Maybe some day I'll take Metformin, but while I can still treat my IR with exercise and food, that's what I'll do. I'd rather do the harder work there than to go through the secondary effects the pill has or whatever else it can do to me!

Listen to your body and yes, advocate for yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMom09 View Post
Who is here this month?

I finally went to see an endocrinologist at the end of the month! Feb wasn't great because I only managed to lose 2 pounds.

The endo confirmed that I have PCOS. She put me on Progesterone to start my periods, but it hasn't worked. She also put me on spiro for the elevated testosterone. She said I have all the signs of IR (dark skin patches, etc), but the blood work came back normal, so I didn't get medicine to help with IR. I'm not sure why it didn't show up on the test since I'm almost certain that I am IR.

I'm going to try the spiro, and see what that does. I'm really hoping to be able to find out what I need to do to lose weight at a faster rate. At this rate, it is going to take me well over two years to lose the weight. That is very disappointing.
Welcome PrettyMom!

Don't be too hard on yourself -- 2 lbs is two LESS pounds than you were in January. And 2 LESS pounds that what I've managed to lose in the last two months! Celebrate the wins!

One thing about your endoc and the labs.... I've discovered through my own research and asking questions that not all labs are the same. Depending on the lab the blood work gets sent and/or the labs that your insurance pays for, the "range" of the normal blood sample for the population could be off. My endoc told me that's why he doesn't send his labs to popular sites like Qwest Diagnostics or LabCorp, even though they are some of the largest because they include non-normal ranges as "normal". This just happens because there's a lot of people out there that have abnormal blood work.

Thus, he has his own boutique lab company that doesn't work on ranges and is more precise in their stuff. My insurance covers it with no problem, so I've never had to pay extra. His lab work does come more detailed and can find slight fluctuations that for another company wouldn't mean anything, but here would detect a TSH level that's off.

You want to find out where the labs were sent to and if there is a way of doing it more precise. Either way, your body is showing signs of something.

Was your A1C tested as well? Did they do a blood glucose test in the office? Did they do a glucose intolerance test (which is different than just testing your blood sugar)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
susiederkins: That's great on the sleepy! WTG!

Everyone here is sick with cold -- kid, parents. My ear hurts. I'm keeping up on the food log, laying low on everything else. I saw the doc and got meds. Not fun being sick but we'll muddle on through and get past it.
Just wish she didn't bring things home from school!
Feel better, Astrophe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMom09 View Post
Astrophe - I hope you are feeling better today. My youngest daughter had strep throat this week, but the rest of us seem to be fine, hopefully that won't change. My endocrinologist had said she was almost positive that I am IR when I went to see her, but since the labs came back normal she won't give me a prescription for metformin. I'm thinking that the reason my lab results came back with normal blood sugar is that I've been eating almost no sugar since January, but I'm sure I'm still IR. I'll have to ask her again in 3 months when I go see her.
This is important, because if you have been taking care of yourself, then your blood sugar may have stabilized.

This is actually a good thing! It means you don't have to take Metformin! Changing your diet will help you.

The thing is, Metformin won't necessarily make you drop the pounds. It may do that, but it's not a guarantee. What it does is simply help you stabilize your blood glucose levels because your pancreas can't produce enough. It won't magically make the weight drop though.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #14  

My own update.

I have a meeting with the nutritionist this afternoon. This whole diabetic exchange thing is driving me nuts because I don't have a calculator to figure out what is what when. The sheets she gave me with the information is not exhaustive and to be honest, it's full of processed foods that I don't eat.

Also, I think she's giving me too many starches, even though it's already protein heavy, and not enough fats (why does this diet have to be low fat?!) and I've been eating more dairy which I don't like either because I need one of those dairy exchanges. Ugh. Again, low fat dairy.

The whole experience, though, has made me realize that it's very easy to slack off on the fruits and vegetables. Trying to hit all the diabetic exchanges which included 5 portions of vegetables and 2-4 of fruits was hard. I wouldn't have said it was hard before, that I was actually eating a lot of that. I wasn't. It's so easy to just stick to the grains and proteins and forget everything else when you're in a hurry.

I'm borrowing my mother's juicer, so I'm also hoping to add more of those servings through that (especially because I have some veggies that are on their last legs now).

Yeah, so I'll find out if I'm going to continue seeing her or not. It will all depend on if she can give me a way to calculate meals easily on those exchanges or if she's willing to do something else (calorie counting, for example) rather than exchanges so we can work together on this. Otherwise, I'll just keep doing it trial and error, with the mental note that I really have to be on top of my veggie/fruit consumption.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #15  

Rana - Thanks for the input! I'll have to ask the doctor to do a glucose intolerance test next time I see her. I'm not really sure what this is, but I'm sure she'll know.

Let us know if you are able to get some positive results from seeing a nutritionist. My mother has seen two different nutritionists because of her diabetes, but neither of them had any helpful or useful information for her other than the basic spill of eat less carbs, more protein, and low fat.