PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 09:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Gynecologist, reproductive endo, endo--which is best?

I'm curious which "kind" of doctor would be most well versed in PCOS. My daughter recently came to live with us and we're looking for a doctor who will do more than just prescribe birth control pills. I think the BCPs are making her whacked out, so to speak.

When looking for a doctor, usually what you get are the receptionists who don't really seem to know anything. We're also limited by our health plan, unfortunately. How can you get a doctor who has PCOS experience and knows what s/he is doing?

While I don't have PCOS, my daughter and step-daughter both do. When I saw my step-daughter, I asked if she'd seen a doctor since our last chat (her diagnosing physician didn't ever mention increased risk of diabetes or any other complication). She said yes, and all the doctor told her to do was lose weight. Didn't give her any tests for diabetes, didn't counsel her on the appropriate way to lose weight, didn't discuss medications, didn't do anything except say lose weight. I told her she needed to find another doctor and I'd help her figure out which of the three (gyno, reproductive endo, or regular endo) would be best.

I'm hoping you all can help!

Thanks,

Sheila
Old 01-02-2003, 09:37 PM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

It doesnt matter as long as they are very knowledgeable in PCOS. Check out the PCOSA site at http://pcosupport.org Click on the medical button then over to the Professional members. Find your area. If none listed, call the closest one, even if out of state. Doctors network so they can help you find one close to you. Also check to see if there is a PCOS study in your area at the Research section. Lastly, check with the closest PCOSA chapter.

History and a full blood panal diagnosis PCOS. U/S does NOT diagnose PCOS only PCO. PCOS stems from diabetes and is hereditary. If they share the same biological father, that would be one explaination why you dont have it.

Last edited by HopefulSpirits; 01-02-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thank you! Unfortunately, nobody was listed under my state, but there were some in my step-daughter's state.

There is a clinical endocrinologist nearby, however, in the AACE listing, and some reproductive endocrinologists listed with the other group so we'll check them out.
Closed Thread