started taking cinnamon and chromium

You're on Page 3 of 6
Go to
  • Although my point was actually that you SHOULD exceed the "recommended" dose of the cinnamon pills, but by taking the other kind of cinnamon instead.

My boyfriend used to have daily, constant heartburn that he took prescription medication for. Now, every time he gets heartburn I haughtily ask "You didn't eat cinnamon did you?" and I'm always right. Of course, maybe it's a bad thing that cinnamon allows me to eat carbs without feeling terrible afterwards...
  • Quote: Too large amounts of anything is a bad thing. It's definitely best to always take the recommended dose
    Sorry, I know your advice is well intended but it is also completely false. The fda recommendations on a nutrition facts sheet are guidelines for the average adult healthy person. If you are taking a supplement for a specific disorder, illness, or disease, it is actually very likely that you should take more than the average person's recommendation. Some of these things if you only took what it said to meet your 100% guideline, you would get zero benefit.

For example-my son has epilepsy and takes anticonvulsant meds. One of them has some pretty bad side effects, and his neuro suggested a daily dose of B6 to counteract those effects. Daily recommendation for an adult is 2mg per day. My son takes 100mg a day, more than 50 times the adult recommended dose.

Point is, it is NOT definitely best to always take the recommended dose. If you are taking something for the **** of it, or in a multivitamin, or just because you like what the bottle says it can do for you...then sure. But if you are using a supplement as an alternative medication to treat a condition then it is almost guaranteed that YOUR recommended dose is going to be very different than the next person's. The only way to know the proper amount is to research and talk to a professional.
  • Quote: Sorry, I know your advice is well intended but it is also completely false. The fda recommendations on a nutrition facts sheet are guidelines for the average adult healthy person. If you are taking a supplement for a specific disorder, illness, or disease, it is actually very likely that you should take more than the average person's recommendation. Some of these things if you only took what it said to meet your 100% guideline, you would get zero benefit.

For example-my son has epilepsy and takes anticonvulsant meds. One of them has some pretty bad side effects, and his neuro suggested a daily dose of B6 to counteract those effects. Daily recommendation for an adult is 2mg per day. My son takes 100mg a day, more than 50 times the adult recommended dose.

Point is, it is NOT definitely best to always take the recommended dose. If you are taking something for the **** of it, or in a multivitamin, or just because you like what the bottle says it can do for you...then sure. But if you are using a supplement as an alternative medication to treat a condition then it is almost guaranteed that YOUR recommended dose is going to be very different than the next person's. The only way to know the proper amount is to research and talk to a professional.
    ummm, just the state the facts here...the RECOMMENDED dose IS the dose from a professional. My doc just told me to buy the bottle from the store and when I told her the dose she was fine with it. The RECOMMENDED dose should always be from your physician on any medication, whether it be a vitamin or supplement, prescription med, etc. If your doc recommends you take more than what a supplement says then that's great, that is what they recommend
  • I also have PCOS, I put a dash of cinnamon in my coffee each morning and I love it. It taste great too. Cinnamon makes your body metabolize sugar up to 20x faster.
  • Quote: I also have PCOS, I put a dash of cinnamon in my coffee each morning and I love it. It taste great too. Cinnamon makes your body metabolize sugar up to 20x faster.
    I've been reading and reading about cinnamon and sugar metabolism, do you mind sharing where you found the above information? I would love to know That's exciting news
  • So is it safe to take the cinnamon and chromium pills without having pcos? Or if you don't should you just take the cinnamon?
  • Your "dose" would probably be different if you are non-PCOS.

Probably best to check with your doc, naturopath or whoever it is you see for what you needs might be.

But if you just want to try adding extra cinnamon to your food I guess that really isn't a biggie. Try 1/4 tsp in your oatmeal or similar.

A.
  • My sister doesn't have PCOS and her doc says it's ok for her to take it. Yeah, I would ask your doc. Chromium is already in a lot of multivitamins so I would watch that too. My BIL takes cinnamon to help lower his cholesterol and well, he doesn't have PCOS LOL! People are starting to notice that I've lost weight. I haven't weighed on the scales but I can tell I've lost inches. I give the cinnamon/chromium the credit. Before I started taking it, nothing was happening. yay!
  • I've read a lot of good things about the cinnamon/coffee combo lately. The caffeine releases fatty acids into the bloodstream so you can burn them off later and the cinnamon helps prevent large insulin spikes when you eat which is also condusive to more fat burning.
  • 10 health benefits of cinnamon: http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis...-cinnamon.html
  • Quote: I've read a lot of good things about the cinnamon/coffee combo lately. The caffeine releases fatty acids into the bloodstream so you can burn them off later and the cinnamon helps prevent large insulin spikes when you eat which is also condusive to more fat burning.
    I tried the cinnamon coffee once and didn't really like the taste but I know some people really do. I take my cinnamon pills with bfast with my coffee so maybe that helps? anything conducive to more fat burning is great in my book!
  • Quote: My sister doesn't have PCOS and her doc says it's ok for her to take it. Yeah, I would ask your doc. Chromium is already in a lot of multivitamins so I would watch that too. My BIL takes cinnamon to help lower his cholesterol and well, he doesn't have PCOS LOL! People are starting to notice that I've lost weight. I haven't weighed on the scales but I can tell I've lost inches. I give the cinnamon/chromium the credit. Before I started taking it, nothing was happening. yay!
    Well I called the vitamin store near me and they told me that taking the cinnamon/chromium combo without having pcos is fine! Said the chromium just boosts metabolism so its not going to hurt anything! I'm not taking any vitamins now (even though I should be haha!) Congrats on the weight loss! I am going to go get some this afternoon after I get off work and hopefully it will help me as well as it has for you! Thanks for the feedback!
  • @violet

wow never realized how beneficial cinnamon really is! I think I will start keeping some sticks out here at work to "boost my cognitive function and memory" ;] haha!
  • Quote: Well I called the vitamin store near me and they told me that taking the cinnamon/chromium combo without having pcos is fine! Said the chromium just boosts metabolism so its not going to hurt anything! I'm not taking any vitamins now (even though I should be haha!) Congrats on the weight loss! I am going to go get some this afternoon after I get off work and hopefully it will help me as well as it has for you! Thanks for the feedback!
    your welcome and good luck! I hope it works for you! I will also say something else I noticed with it. I had a cold recently and woke up with sneezing and sinus pressure and felt miserable (you know that feeling) but after taking my morning dose of cinnamon/chromium I felt better! At first I didn't even realize that was what made me feel better. Then, I googled it and there is some great info online about cinnamon helping with the sinuses I love that It wore off but I take it twice a day and it helped again later that day and without the horrible side effects of Sudafed! yayyy! Wish I would have found this years ago!
    Please keep us posted with your progress
  • Quote: your welcome and good luck! I hope it works for you! I will also say something else I noticed with it. I had a cold recently and woke up with sneezing and sinus pressure and felt miserable (you know that feeling) but after taking my morning dose of cinnamon/chromium I felt better! At first I didn't even realize that was what made me feel better. Then, I googled it and there is some great info online about cinnamon helping with the sinuses I love that It wore off but I take it twice a day and it helped again later that day and without the horrible side effects of Sudafed! yayyy! Wish I would have found this years ago!
    Please keep us posted with your progress
    wow thats awesome! Sounds like everyone just needs to be taking cinnamon/chromium all the time and we'd all feel better! haha! That's good to know because I hate sinus meds! Always knock me out! I'll definitely let you know how it goes! I'm excited to get started on it! Sugar cravings have to be my biggest downfall! So I'm hoping this helps a ton! :]]