started taking cinnamon and chromium

You're on Page 2 of 6
Go to
  • wow guys! I lost three pounds since last week!!! I started the combo pill last Monday! For the first time in a long time I feel in control of my cravings. This is great news !
  • Googling combo pill as I type. Thank you for this - hopefully it'll help with cravings. I have thae hardest time getting past them.
  • Quote: Googling combo pill as I type. Thank you for this - hopefully it'll help with cravings. I have thae hardest time getting past them.
    Hope it helps you! My sister is only taking the cinnamon (she doesn't have PCOS) and it is helping with her cravings
  • Quote: Googling combo pill as I type. Thank you for this - hopefully it'll help with cravings. I have thae hardest time getting past them.
    I'm taking cinnamon and chromium picolinolate (separate pills...but I take them at the same time.) My cravings for sugar literally stopped within a day or so. My hunger has also decreased. At first I thought it was placebo but after a being on them for a couple months now, I know it's not.
  • I started taking the combo pill from wal-mart last week and WOW I've noticed a huge difference. My cravings were pretty much gone, I had more energy and best of all I dropped 2lbs this week! I admit I had my doubts, but it sure seems to be helping me. I pray it continues!
  • So how much are you all taking? I am reading up on chromium, and it seems like one shouldn't take more than 1000 mcgs a day. Are you taking that much or less? And are you taking it all at once or in "batches"?
  • Mary's PCOS faq gives suggestions for all kinds of supplements including cinnamon and chromium.

http://pcosfaq.com/

HTH!
    A.
  • I'm not taking chromium picolinate.

I am taking the chelated chromium, which is supposed to be the "safer" kind. It's chromium polynicolinate.

I take 800 mcg of it. Depending on whether I stop losing (and it's not diet or exercise related!) I may increase it. For now, I think it's been working well.
  • I want to start taking these... but not sure what doseage I should take... I weigh 265 5'5...
  • What about Metformin?
    Hi! I am new here, but realllly need support. I started Metformin, per docs orders, and just saw the cinnamon and chromium supplements. Does anyone take these along with Metformin? I would like to try them, but want to make sure it wouldn't cause any whacky side effects! Thanks so much!
  • i have pcos.. bla. hate it.. anyways
    after i lost some weight last year. that i almost gained most back.. my
    levels were so good. i stopped taking metformin.. so i tried to recently start back on it. and man i feel so sick. i am going to try to take the combo pill. thanks for posting!
  • Quote: I want to start taking these... but not sure what doseage I should take... I weigh 265 5'5...
    My combo pill is 1,000 mg of cinnamon and 100 mg of chromium. I'm not sure what dosage is right for what weight. You could check with your doc if you're not sure. I just bought it and tried it

Quote: Hi! I am new here, but realllly need support. I started Metformin, per docs orders, and just saw the cinnamon and chromium supplements. Does anyone take these along with Metformin? I would like to try them, but want to make sure it wouldn't cause any whacky side effects! Thanks so much!
    You should check with your doc and/or pharmacist about taking the meds together to make sure it's ok

Quote: i have pcos.. bla. hate it.. anyways
    after i lost some weight last year. that i almost gained most back.. my
    levels were so good. i stopped taking metformin.. so i tried to recently start back on it. and man i feel so sick. i am going to try to take the combo pill. thanks for posting!
    Good luck! HOpe it helps!
  • Cinnamon is awesome for PCOS in my experience. Can't say as I ever noticed a difference when I took chromium though. I don't take cinnamon in pill form, I'm not sure why you would want to do that... You can buy it by the pound online, I personally mix it with greek yogurt and eat a spoonful every time I eat any carbs. Just make sure to purchase Ceylon cinnamon instead of Cassia. Ceylon cinnamon is more expensive but doesn't have the dangers that large amounts of cassia has (cassia cinnamon is probably what's in your cinnamon pills btw).

What cinnamon does for me is keep me from the omgimsohungry feeling that carbs give me without cinnamon. Also, I don't get the heartburn that I usually get when I eat carbs. How does it do that? Slows down digestion & keeps your blood sugar from spiking.
  • I've been taking the combo pills for a while, and it's definitely helped me fight the sugar cravings and the blood sugar spikes. My blood sugar feels much more regular now, and I even experience low blood sugar occasionally when I forget to eat, which is something I never experience before...a sign my blood sugar isn't as high as it used to be!

The only thing to watch for is that you don't take more than the recommended dosage. As the previous poster pointed out, the form of cinnamon in the capsules you get contains a compound which acts as a blood thinner if you take too much. I take three pills a day (one with each meal) and it's done wonders, but I wouldn't take any more.
  • Too large amounts of anything is a bad thing. It's definitely best to always take the recommended dose