PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 07:46 AM   #1  

Default How do dx insulin resistance?

Is it by fasting insulin levels, or the 2 hr glucose tolerance test? I have heard the 2 hr one, but read the insulin level can be used too. My question is...if just the fasting insulin levels are used and not the glucose tolerance....is that the proper way to dx it? Thanks, Lauren
Old 12-08-2002, 11:02 AM   #2  

My dr diagnosed me just with the insulin level. My blood sugar and hba1c were normal, but my insulin level was way too high. I also have the classic symptoms of irregular cycles, facial hair, dark skin patches and inability to lose weight. Hope this helps.
Susan
Old 12-08-2002, 05:28 PM   #3  
tnw

Hi ct_girl25 ,

Most doctor's determine insulin resistant by doing a 2 hr OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) WITH insulin levels at all times. You are supposed to fast for 10-12 hours before the test. Some pcos'ers have told me that a 3 hr test is better, because you may not 'show' resistance until 3 hours is up. One pcos'er even told me that they had to have a 5hr OGTT before they showed IR! Anyway, with IR your glucose may be fine, but your insulin is too high due to insulin resistance - that's why doc's have you do a OGTT to check insulin resistance, the glucose test is just part of it.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:42 PM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

There are 3 types of IR, one can not be picked up by any test. Also, you may not be bad enough to meet their qualifications. My doc and several others want to see these changed as they are not realistic.

Type 1, you make too much insulin. This would be picked up.

Type 2, your body doesnt do what the insulin is telling it to do. This would not be picked up.

Type 3, which is actually Diabetes Insulin Dependant, is you dont make enough.

A 5 hour is the best test you can do. Many PCOSers do not register as IR until the 4th hour. GTT's come in 2, 3 and 5 hour tests.

When you have it done, ask for an IV needle with a "faucet". DEMAND IT even if they say we prefer not. This prevents resticking which can cause unnecessary pain AND scar tissue.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:26 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

If the patient doesn't have good veins, though, an IV can be much more painful than the blood draws since the needle they start the vp with is bigger and the vein has to hold a foreign object for an extended amount of time. A small needle can be used on a small vein with minimal pain. However, there is no substiture for a good phlebotomist!

I work in a plasma center (like a blood bank) and it takes quite a bit of sticks to make noticable scar tissue, and we use some monster needles. If done properly, regular blood draw needles, 20-21 gauge, cause minimal scarring and promotes a happier relationship than demands on medical staff.
Closed Thread