Poll: What type PCOS patient are you?

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
View Poll Results: What type patient are you?
traditional PCOS -- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance
19.37%
syndrome X -- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
26.35%
non-traditional PCOS --anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes
14.29%
non-traditional PCOS -- ovulatory, increased androgens, mild insulin resistance
19.05%
idiopathic hirsutism -- ovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance
3.49%
Not sure -- but think I have PCOS or IR
10.16%
Don't have PCOS. I am Insulin Resistance (pre-diabetes)
2.86%
Other (What is it?)
4.44%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm traditional.
  • I am Syndrome X
  • I am ovulatory, increased androgens, obese, type 2 diabetic, fasting BS ~126 (Syndrome X?). I also have a vitamin D deficiency measuring 13/35 (on 50k IU/wk). Low BP, low cholesterol.

The doctor seems to think that it may be because I was on Depo Provera when I was younger. Once I started it nothing was ever the same.

All along the doctors I've seen have been telling me that I'm just lazy and eat too much which is why I'm fat and never did any thorough testing up until about a year ago when I got a new doctor. Thank goodness I did!

The weight loss catch-22 and hirsutism definitely have to be my favorite things ever in the history of the universe :\
  • I am traditional. It was my dermatologist who first suggested getting tested. She said I looked like I had it (hirsutism, overweight, acne). I've never tested positive for IR but I have also read some places that you can be IR and have normal blood sugars so who knows.
  • I supposedly this:

non-traditional PCOS --anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes

My tests for male hormones have come out normal both times BUT if that's the case why do I have a lot of excess hair?

Personally I feel I'm syndrome X.
  • I was diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago, but was never told what "type" I was, nor did I know there were types until a couple years ago, when it was too late to check as I didn't/don't have access to medical care.

I know I was considered insulin resistant.
  • Quote: It's been sooo long since I haven't been on birth control I'm not sure if I would have a period or not. I haven't had any cysts in YEARS. Facial hair is no longer a problem. I think I'm leaning more towards syndrome x these days...that said I've been an exercising machine lately and along with my supplements I've been feeling pretty optimistic that I can beat this!
    I have the same issue - I've been on birth control for so long to make my periods (normal) I'm not even sure if I ovulate or they would be normal.

I finally broke down and spent the money on laser hair removal. I got sick of plucking EVERY day! That seems to have helped clear up my acne too - since I'm not touching my face all the time because of the hair.
  • symptom x it's been like that since the beginning when I was diagnosed 10 years ago,
  • I voted for non-traditional. I am ovulatory occationally. When I do ovulate, I actually ovulate two eggs (or more) at a time. I have twins, and a singleton. I have had a slight issue with body hair (toes & tummy,) but not much in the way of facial hair. I am also IR. Usually, when I lose weight my symptoms stop. I really hope that happens this time... Starting to miss periods more often
  • It has been a long time since my diagnosis...which came between my second and third kids. I don't think the poll fit me exactly; so I picked the one that was closest. I am Non-traditional, ovulatory, high androgen, NOT mild IR, very high insulin numbers.
  • I don't have high blood pressure or high lipids so I don't have Syndrome X. These days I am post menopausal but I did go through periods of anovulation when I was younger, my androgens were high. Hirsuitism and rapid weight gain and slow weight loss were characteristic and I am certainly insulin resistant. Metformin, which I have just gone back on, has allowed me to lose weight like everyone else. Without it I lost weight so much more slowly than other women.
  • Non-traditional for me... Ovulate fine, just really high androgens and slight insulin resistance. Looking into getting on metformin along with diet/exercise to reduce symptoms!
  • I'm weird, probably because I have pretty severe hypothyroidism/Hashimoto syndrome, which messes with my hormones even more. I ovulate irregularly, have high androgen levels, and am mildly insulin resistant.
  • Other~ anovulatory, increased androgens, mild insulin resistance

Plus I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis and my thyroid completely quit before they caught it. I was gaining 15lbs per week while they were trying to figure out what was going on.
  • I had no idea there was a difference, how do I find out? Do I just go to my oBGYN?