PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 10:34 PM   #1  

Default Do you drink alcohol while on PCOS meds?

I hardly ever drink alcohol. I'm going to a bar tomorrow night with some work folks and I was wondering if it's okay to have a drink while on meds. I've not had a drink since I started on a prescription in May. Anyone?

CD
Old 10-30-2002, 06:09 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Depends on the med. Gluc, Avandia, Actos, are drugs not to be used with alcohol. Skipping a day of meds wont help this issue either. People have actually said they dont take their meds on the day they are going to drink. What they dont realize is that the med isnt out of their system yet. Otherwise, it wouldnt take 7 days or more to adjust to a dose, thats a clue.

These drugs can be effected by alcohol on the liver. Making the liver more supseptable to damage. This is why you should never drink alcohol while on meds for insulin sensatizing.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:36 PM   #3  

Hey there. I did end up having a drink last night (four, actually).

I'm having a problem remembering to take the Metformin...I'm not sure why. I take spiro and one gluc when I wake up and then I take decadrone/spiro/metformin before bed...I'm supposed to take the metformin with meals but I eat my meals at work and I forget. Arrgh..anyway...I should start taking them with me.

CD
Old 10-31-2002, 07:38 PM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Switching to XR version will take control of that. Its a ONE A DAY dosage. I take mine just before bed and leave them by my bed. Im sure I have told this already but my brain is goin I never can remember to WHO I have said it.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:44 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Hey CD, be very careful mixing alcohol on Metformin. It increases your risk for Lactic Acidosis, which is supposed to be fatal in half the cases. That mostly happens to people with kidney problems, but not always.
Closed Thread