PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:55 PM   #1  

Thumbs down I'm baaackk

Hello all,

I've been AWOL from the message board for a while. Trying to figure out what to do with this screwed up body of mine!!

I see a few familiar faces are still around, Jennifer 3FC, Jenniffer and HopefulSpirits -- if I missed someone I apologize!

Jennifer - I can't believe all that's been going on with you and your chest pains. My heart goes out to you girl! Boy oh Boy can I relate to your losing "pattern".

I've been following Protein Power (well WHEN I follow it) and basically am getting no where fast. I lose than gain, than lose than gain, then give up and gain back what I've lost and one more pound to boot. After reading some of your journel entries and the "if I follow the diet and don't lose, than why follow it" thoughts and can I say "MAN can I relate to that one".

So I've been on a 6 day off of the diet thing and managed to pack on an additional 5lbs now. You know how easy it is to do that!!

I've had lots of wonderful people tell me what I should NOT be eating, going by Dr. Atkins "highly resistant people" theroies (which I'm convinced I am) and eliminated all the things that are known stallers and guess what, I still don't lose and I'm left with: meat, eggs and lettuce.

I know I can't live like that and I can't live gaining weight daily either. So I'm here to get some help and see what I can do.

I noticed there is a Low Carb Diet section now. Is this new? I'd like to join in over there and get connected with some other folks on a more personal level and see if I can figure some things out.

Well, thanks for reading all the stuff and fluff above!!

Yvonne
Old 10-09-2002, 11:39 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi Yvonne, nice to see you back! Nope, the low carb section isn't new. I would post there and see if somebody can come up with what is wrong. I know one of my problems is that I was eating too many calories. Some of the low carb plans say don't count calories, but I HAVE to. Are you drinking caffeine? That stalls some people. Also, are you exercising regularly? That is very necessary for an insulin resistant person to lose weight. That is my other problem! I have ordered some Leslie Sansone walking videos and I hope that will help me get moving. I have a treadmill and a Total Gym but they are in my smelly, gloomy basement and I get depressed whenever I exercise! That and stuffed up sinuses from the mustiness. I guess I might as well put plastic on them until I get my moisture and lighting problem fixed, or the attic finished!

If you are having problems with your weight loss I recommend you posting on the low carb forum, you can post your menus and get some ideas of what went wrong. You will for sure get advice!

So, how have you been? Ready to renew your weight loss committment? I have renewed vigor today. I don't know why, but I am in a very motivated mood.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:04 AM   #3  

Jennifer,

In answer to a few of your questions:

I have a Palm and I was writing down absolutely everything I ate. I even put in the calories/fat/carbs/protein of my recipes and I was eating between 1100-1700 calories a day, mostly averaging about 1400-1500 a day. I'm thinking that's not lots of calories at all.

As for the exercise. I have sciatica and frankly find most or all exercise painful. I've gone on walks with my daughter only to get 10 minutes out and can barely walk home. A gentle tape I have, that is stretches and toning, is fine accept I can't do them on my "bad" side. I live in a rinky dinky town and there is one outdoor pool (which is closed now for obvious reasons) and the indoor high school pool does offer water aerobics. I have a friend that said she'd go with me. It is 3x a week. I'm not sure if I'm up to the whole thing, as I'm really VERY out of shape. I wish I could find a pool where I could "water walk". But they only offer the aerobics. I remember years ago doing the water aerobics and enjoying them, but I was thinner and in much better health.

They sent me to a PT for my hip and honestly it made it worse. I suffered for months afterwards (actually I still suffer problems from the innocent stretches she gave me). Couple that with the fact that I was working with a thin, healthy and fit person, who basically made fun of me (in a mean sort-of way), when I told her the stretches were too hard, or that I couldn't get into certain postitions because of my belly being too big, she'd say, real loud, in a room full of people "Look, I don't know what you want me to do for you, these are the easiest exercise I can give you". And then roll her eyes. <SIGH>

I guess, I'm worried to post journels or the such, as I think they're going to tell me to cut out everything but meat, eggs and lettuce.

I like to cook for my family and I've found some wonderful recipes on LC lists, etc. It's just that so many of the recipes have either some sort of "staller" ingredients OR they have things I have to special order and find them QUITE expensive. I've been waiting to buy some more sugar free ketchup now for 3wks...$5.99 a bottle plus shipping/handling. I did have someone send me a recipe, so I do have that to try. But I need thickeners and things like that and ingredients to bake with.

I'm trying to make this a lifestyle and encourage my family to eat the same way. I have a 10 yo dd, who is exhibiting the beginning stage of PCOS and I'd like to nip the weight thing in the bud by encouraging a lower carb (not quite restrictive like mine) diet for her too.

I think I'll hop over to the LC area and see where I can post some things.

It's good talking to you, as usual!

Yvonne
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 AM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

How about getting to your local diabetes center and getting a plan suited specifically for you and your lifestyle. You shouldnt lose more then 3 pounds a week. The average being 1 to 3 pounds. Anything more, except the initial few weeks, can be dangerous and may not keep it off long term.

GL!
Old 10-10-2002, 01:09 PM   #5  

Yep, my doctor, the one who said "Lose weight and you'll feel better" and "PCOS doesn't make it any harder to lose weight"....did send me and they handed me a Pyramid Diet where I was to eat 11 grains a day. That's what I was doing on WW and gained weekly.

Of course I wasn't losing anything after the first week, just gaining and losing the same few pounds.

Yvonne
Old 10-10-2002, 01:16 PM   #6  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Actually, for PCOSers, the pyramid is off, it encourages too much bread and high carb fruits/veggies. It actually gets swapped around a bit for a diabetic type 2 diet and is very different from other diets. I think its very important to speak to a DT2 Registered Dietician to get the right information. Stressing on "Tailored to YOU". No 2 peple are the same. Therefore, the pyramid wont work for everyone.

Once you get the knowledge you need from the RD, you can apply it to the WW program. They do have a diabetes program. Avoid ALL of WW special foods in the stores as well, they are NOT aimed at diabetics.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:25 PM   #7  

Yep, I know the pyramid diet is off. I'm doing a Low-Carb diet. As for a registered dietician, that's what she was and she heavily opposed to a low-carb diet and the pyramid diet is what she recommends for diabetics. Eat that many carbs (grains/fruits) a day. It's what many many many of my friends registered dieticians told them to eat. They walked out and threw it all away. What good is that for someone who is insulin resistant where carbs spike our blood sugar and then make us gain weight.

Actually I don't think the pyramid diet really works well for most people. That's why so many Americans got fatter and fatter after that whole fiasco came out. Written by a bunch of attorneys for the Department of Agriculture.

I don't eat any of the WW food or low-fat foods, I know they are loaded with sugar or high carbs. They are BADDD...lol

Actually I haven't been on WW for about 7-8 months.

Yvonne
Old 10-10-2002, 02:19 PM   #8  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Was she with a Diabetes Center? Im shocked if she was. I dont trust all RD's either but do at the Diabetes Center.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:02 PM   #9  

She was not and I'm no where near something like that, I'm thinking at least hours away from me. I live in a small rinky dinky town.

But several of the women I've talked to have been sent to places like that, my future mother-in-law was and she was given a pyramid diet. She has diabetes. I'm thinking, most doctors wouldn't send someone like me to a diabetic center if there were one anyways, as I'm NOT diabetic.

Anyways, the concesus is every person I've read, with PCOS who are sent to a registered dietician are given the pyramid diet. Over and over again, they complain on my email list about it. It's quite sad, actually.

Would you trust a RD at a Diabetic Center, if they handed you a Pyramid Diet? See I think we have to be careful at all places. It is just ingrained in them that, that is the way to treat diabetes, with a low-fat, low calorie diet which = high carb. BTW, my Endocronologist who's speciality is Diabetes and PCOS, gave me a pyramid diet too.

Yvonne
Old 10-10-2002, 04:07 PM   #10  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Ok, well I will look in my PCOS trunk for what I was taught by the very huge local diabetes center. They all work closely with the diabetes association too. Once I find it, I will post the informaiton. I normally wouldnt do this but since they arent doing their job, I will help out.

The information I learned is different then the pyramid and was a good tool.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:17 PM   #11  

That sounds excellent, I'll look forward to reading it! :-)

Yvonne
Closed Thread