PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 07:27 PM   #1  

Arrow Should I still be taking meds?

My infertilty dr gave glouc. to try and get me pg, but i got pg on my own. should i start taking it again even though i'm not trying to get pg again? thanks merisa
Old 09-12-2002, 08:02 PM   #2  

Hmmmm-That's a question i would ask the doctor. Depends on how much insulin you are producing or not producing. AND if you are symptomatic or not.--debyj
Old 09-12-2002, 10:02 PM   #3  

nvangel--did your doc take any blood tests or did you have ultrasounds to show if you have PCOS? if you did and you were diagnosed with PCOS, you really need to keep taking Glucophage. Glucophage is often used to help women who are trying to conceive as it has the effect of balancing out your LH hormones to help you conceive. However, Glucophage is not specifically for women trying to conceive, merely as an agent to help regulate hormone levels and naturalize the body's endcrine system.

However, if you were trying to get pregnant, this is also great information to have. Currently, there are studies uderway to demonstrate the safety of Glucophage and other PCOS medication on women while pregnant. My doctor told me since these studies aren't complete and although results look promising, it is better not to continue any sort of PCOS medication until after birth. My doctor showed me a small study whereby some women have taken Glucophage throughout pregnancy with no ill effects to either her or the baby. But he cautioned that it is prudent to err on the side of caution as the studies are incomplete and only when they have been analyzed and with credible findings would he feel comfortable prescribing PCOS meds to pregnant women.

Hope this helps you!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:19 AM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

If youre not currently pregnant now then definately. Gluc is NOT an infertility drug. Its a drug to TREAT the PCOS, which in turn allows conception. If you do not wish to conceive then adding a bc meathod to the gluc would be wise. Make sure you get a new perscript for it though before actually taking the drug.

See here: http://4.43.98.80/forums/showthread....threadid=64987

If you are pregnant now, do some research before you decide. Some do some dont take it during pregnancy.
Closed Thread