3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/)
-   -   candida overgrowth and PCOS? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/169509-candida-overgrowth-pcos.html)

thistoo 04-18-2009 11:26 AM

candida overgrowth and PCOS?

This is sort of a sensitive topic, I suppose, but I'm wondering if anyone with PCOS has noticed a correlation between that and yeast infection.

I will say up front that I've never been diagnosed with PCOS. I have many symptoms, but I haven't pressed the issue with my doctor because I've been able to lose weight thus far (albeit very, veeery slowly), and after talking to a couple close friends who *have* been diagnosed, I'm not sure I want to deal with the meds unless I run out of weight loss options.

I've been having problems with candida overgrowth, though, and I've read a little bit online about possible connections between candida and PCOS. So my question is: do you notice a correlation, and has following a PCOS-friendly diet helped eliminate the yeast problems? I already follow a high protein/low carb diet, but I don't pay much attention to sugar intake and I am a caffeine junkie, so I might be my own worst enemy here.

I did poke around the forum a bit to see if this has been addressed in the past, but I didn't find anything. If I missed a thread by all means, point me at it! Thanks. :)

beerab 04-28-2009 05:09 PM

I haven't had many problems with a yeast infection- I think in my whole life I've only had it once and that was when I was like 13 years old.

You don't have to take the medications, I have PCOS and went on metformin and spironolactone and didn't see results anyways and after like 2 years of being on both I quit. I told my doctor I'm DONE with the pills and haven't looked back. She told me if I don't want to take them anymore it's totally fine. And metformin was making me sick anyways- when I realized that metformin was the reason I was vomiting in the mornings she said we could lower my dosage or I could stop. I chose to stop.

I would say if you are getting yeast infections often you might want to look into some herbal supplements you can take to help- my friend used to get constant bladder infections and now takes cranberry pills and has much less problems. I believe for yeast infections the suggestion is to not wear very tight clothes, use COTTON panties, do not use tampons or sanitary napkins with the fragrances/deodorants on them, and so on.

I believe my mom's friend takes grapefruit pills and this helps with yeast infections.

kittyno 05-08-2009 01:44 AM

Just FYI

I just wanted to mention that grapefruit is bad for anyone who takes Met or birth control, and a lot of other meds. it increases or decreases the concentration of the meds in your blood, and it can be really bad. People have to be very careful!

starfishkitty 05-12-2009 10:15 AM

I've started to wonder if I've got PCOS actually... and I CONSTANTLY have problems with yeast infections and bacterial infection... it drives me nuts because I've tried EVERYTHING. Or it feels like... *sigh* I think, one of these days when I get the money scrounged up (it took me 2 months to save for a blood test and then got diagnosed as a Vitamin D deficiency), I'm going to see what my gyno says about all my suspicions.