PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #1  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Question Has this ever happened to anyone before *Warning TMI*

So AF first came in on Jan 2nd and ended on the 6th. BUT it was light and brown. I had no serious symptoms before that (no cramps, backaches, sore boobs..and I always have those symptoms before starting a period).

But then a few days ago..my boobs started hurting really bad!!! Then yesterday, the cramps and backaches started. And early this morning, I went to the bathroom..and there AF was!!! I started again. So far its just spotting, but it is red. It will get heavier either later today or tomorrow.

Has this ever happened to anyone before??? It's never happened to me, so I really dont know what to think right now. Was the first time even really it, or is this really it?? Or did I just end up getting AF twice in one month? This is just really really weird to me.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 01-23-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #2  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

it sounds like a classic case of...ovulation, two weeks before the start of menses. absolutely, perfectly normal!
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've had that happen before as well... dark spotting before my period. Although is that ovulation? I take the pill so I shouldn't be ovulating. It doesn't happen all the time but its happened... if I'm ovulating, I'm a bit concerned.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My first thought was ovulation, too

I've been reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and I strongly recommend it, btw.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #5  
I was born this way hey!

OKay..but this has NEVER happened before. I mean, i thought it was just my period that was just a bit off..

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 01-23-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

i'm on the pill too and it happened to me the first couple months on metformin if i had missed bc pill or something.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #7  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
My first thought was ovulation, too

I've been reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and I strongly recommend it, btw.
I guess that means I may have to step up my plans for tubal ligation or a second form of birth control.

I just can't tell my mom about a tubal ligation if I get it, she'll kill me
Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I guess that means I may have to step up my plans for tubal ligation or a second form of birth control.

I just can't tell my mom about a tubal ligation if I get it, she'll kill me
Hmmm... if you're on the pill I would then say that it might be breakthrough bleeding rather than ovulation. I've had instances like that before and I'm still baby-free

TMI Alert-

I was on the pill desogen for a few years and then all the sudden I had a constant, light, brown period. I wasn't ovulating, but it was an awful side effect and I switched to Nuva Ring (which is perhaps the greatest invention ever).
Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 View Post
OKay..but this has NEVER happened before. I mean, i thought it was just my period that was just a bit off..
Bodies are random

Sometimes I get backaches with PMS, sometimes I feel nothing. Sometimes I get a migraine, sometimes not. The same thing would happen with ovulation. Sometimes you bleed a little, sometimes you don't. Are you charting your temps at all?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #10  
Just Me

Quote:
Hmmm... if you're on the pill I would then say that it might be breakthrough bleeding rather than ovulation. I've had instances like that before and I'm still baby-free

TMI Alert-

I was on the pill desogen for a few years and then all the sudden I had a constant, light, brown period. I wasn't ovulating, but it was an awful side effect and I switched to Nuva Ring (which is perhaps the greatest invention ever).
Hmm maybe, its weird. I just switched insurances but I was thinking of switching pills on Yasmin. I also was thinking of maybe getting an IUD and trying to go off the birth control pills although that scares me a bit. I started losing weight only once I started taking the pill. But also I saw a commercial for an IUD and it said its 'recommended' for women who have had at least 1 child. Not sure why that is.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Hmm maybe, its weird. I just switched insurances but I was thinking of switching pills on Yasmin. I also was thinking of maybe getting an IUD and trying to go off the birth control pills although that scares me a bit. I started losing weight only once I started taking the pill. But also I saw a commercial for an IUD and it said its 'recommended' for women who have had at least 1 child. Not sure why that is.
Going off bc scares me half to death for the same exact reason (although I'm hoping to go off it to concieve in the next few months).

I *think* with IUD, there's a slightly higher instance of it falling out due the difference in cervix shape between non-child and childbearing women, maybe? I know of women who have insisted on it and have gotten it and love it. It's not any more dangerous or anything if you haven't had children. Also, I'm sure the pharmecutical companies would like to keep us all on the pill, you know?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #12  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

i was told the same thing about the IUD before i had a child, and then got one after i had one. my new obgyn said that the thing about not using an IUD before you've had a kid is actually out of date, and IUDs are generally fine for most women (i can't take the pill because it cranks my blood pressure, and the mini-pill wasn't effective - see 'had a child' above )

am seconding junebug's recommnedation for "taking charge of your fertility". it's an awesome resource and i got a bruise on my forehead from slapping it so many times, saying "oh, THAT'S what that was..."
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #13  
I was born this way hey!

Quote:
Bodies are random

Sometimes I get backaches with PMS, sometimes I feel nothing. Sometimes I get a migraine, sometimes not. The same thing would happen with ovulation. Sometimes you bleed a little, sometimes you don't. Are you charting your temps at all?
Well, I always get cramps, backaches and what not when I'm about to start. It's like clockwork. So I guess this is just a new thing. And I never remember to take my temp. I'm going to the fertility doc on the 4th, so I plan on telling him everything.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #14  
I was born this way hey!

OH...and I will read that book!!! Thanks!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #15  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 View Post
OH...and I will read that book!!! Thanks!!!
Get that book, missy!!! I mean it!

My friend had just completed chemo and had gotten the go-ahead to start trying and got pregnant that following cycle- all because of that book. The book has a great website and message board, too!