PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #1  

Unhappy Have you ever had your cyst & or ovary removed? My surgery is Scheduled & Im worried!

Hello im 24 yrs old old & have a daughter that will be turning 5 soon. I have been dx with pcos some time last year and have been on birth control to regulate my period which i started last month and also to see if the cyst i have on my right ovary dissapears. I just found out on Friday that the cyst on my right ovary is getting larger and the dr told me i needed to do the surgery to remove it and possibly remove my ovary aswell. I am so worried in so many ways. The only "surgery" Ive ever done was giving birth by c-section and that was such a horrible horrible pain to go thru. has anyone ever had to do these procedures? my surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks from now and the week before i have the pre-op consult with the endo to discuss the surgery. Im so nervous and scared about all of this. Is it painful? how long is the recovery? will i ever get pregnant again? Im so scared!!! I also have the pressure at work in case i get fired. my job makes a big deal for everything and im so worried that they will fire me because of this. even though i know they cant but theyll come up with any excuse and my husband just lost his job and i dont know what to do!!! should i wait for this suregry? i dont think so but at the same time what if i need to be off work a few weeks and end up with out a job when i come back?? HELP!!!!hopefully someone out there knows what im going thru. pls help!!
mizzjojo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't know if this is true of your case, but a friend of mine had a cyst removed approx 10 years ago and it was done laproscopically. She didn't even stay overnight at the hospital and I believe she only took a few days off.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #3  
Busy Mommy

S/C/G: 218/181.5/130

Height: 5'7"

I have no knowledge or personal experience but I wish you luck and will be keeping you in my prayers.
nicki rose98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #4  

Smile

I had both ovaries removed laposcopically. They made two small slits under the stomach and one in the naval. I had no pain after, and no real recovery time. If it had been scheduled on Fri. I could have been back at work by Mon. That may have been just luck, but I was fine. I hope this helps your fears. to you. I would ask the Dr. about the procedure and put my mind to rest if he can do it that way.
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/135.4/132

Height: 5' 4.5

When I was 22 I had a cyst on my ovary that turned out to be endometriosis. I had to have the ovary removed laproscopically. The incision was minimal. Nothing like a c-section. My recovery time was very short and the pain was minimal as well. Tylenol was about all I needed and a few days of taking it easy. Even with just the one ovary, I have since had 3 children (all c-sections) so one ovary is definitely enough!! Good luck with your surgery!

Last edited by lovingsam; 01-18-2009 at 12:19 AM.
lovingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #6  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

I don't have PCOS, but I do have an ovarian cyst (you can see the MRI's in my blog)-- It's going to be removed next monday--and I'm pretty sure that because of the size of mine, it'll be done in a c-section.
From what I've heard, though--as long as it's not abnormally large, they try to do all cyst removals laproscopically... and as some previous posts have stated-- Most people are up and about quickly!

And please, please please--don't wait! The pain you're going through is NOT worth a job. Just imagine HOW much better you will feel after the surgery is all said and done with! It may take some time to recover (your doctor can give you an approx timeline) but it's SO worth it!

Waiting for answers is the WORST part of this whole process-- Please feel free to PM me, since we're going through this in the same time-line

In my case, I'm working as a Nanny and as a Play Teacher (as well as teach Irish Dance)-- Everyone I'm working with has been AMAZING during this time: The main thing is to keep everyone updated and "involved"-- Giving advance notice of your situation, and frequent updates when you hear from your doctors. Both of my employers have made amazing accommodations for me, and are welcoming me back with open arms as soon as I'm healed. My dance partner has taken over my irish dance classes until I'm healed, as well, and my students are all being so supportive.

Keep your chin up There's always people out there to support you!

Last edited by weegreenlassie; 01-18-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: addinfo
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #7  

Thank u all so much!!! I def dont want to wait. I guess im scared too because ive been having so many mood swings ive kind of gotten into with the office mngr and she is about to complain about me and thats whats worrying me too and plus the surg i need to talk to them about lol. i mean it is what it is right? lol im so glad to hear most of ur revocery times went so well i guess i feel a little better in terms of tha!t! thanks so much ladies!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #8  

Well...I spoke to my boss and manager today and phewwww that went well!! I was so scared for nothing!! Now its just time to sit and wait for the big day!!! i HOOOOPEEEE i lose weight from this...hmm?? lol
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #9  
Jig, Don't Jog

YAY!!! Congrats on your boss and manager meeting going well! It's always so stressful to tell the ones you work with what's going on

Did you notice that you hit a MAJOR plateau with your cyst? I did..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I had one ovary removed also a fibroid tumor at the same time. You should recover fairly quickly from the procedure.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #11  

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegreenlassie View Post
YAY!!! Congrats on your boss and manager meeting going well! It's always so stressful to tell the ones you work with what's going on

Did you notice that you hit a MAJOR plateau with your cyst? I did..

oh thank you so much!!!! Oh YES it definately is stressfull!!! lol I!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #12  

Thank you so much bargoo
Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #13  
Math Tutor Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 330/309/150

Height: 5'9"

I had an ovary removed when I was 14. They couldn't do a a lap because the ovary had twisted. They did a bikini incision and removed the entire ovary. Overall I have healed fine and have no visible scar, but I can feel scar tissue below the incision site where they put the staples in. I've had a lot of problems with [extremely] painful menstruations since, but I don't think it is related to the removal of the cyst as much the condition that led to the cyst in the first place.

In other words, you will be fine. I was back on my feet a week later.

Last edited by BelovedImzadi; 01-21-2009 at 12:37 AM.
BelovedImzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #14  

Well......Just found out my stupid insurance denied my surgery!!! another mission to go on lol i have to send an appeal now. I have an appt with my endo tmrw and i really hope that he can help me get this approved. PCOS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #15  
Jig, Don't Jog

Oh NO! I'm so sorry! You should talk to the financial advisor through your hospital: We did and it's helping a lot

I'm going in on Monday--"cleansing" this weekend, so I get my last meal tonight.. Dunno what I'm going to eat yet
Because of the size of my cyst, they're actually doing a vertical-c-section (bummer)-- but s'all good

Keep us posted on everything! I'll write again after I'm no longer loopy! (though some of you might enjoy those posts.. lol)
Good luck!