PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #1  

Default Staying full

Hi chicks!

I'm new and am enjoying this site. I'm 39 (gulp) and have PCOS. Over the past 3 years I've lost approx 30 pounds, trying to lose more. Size 12 but aim to be a size 10. Am on 1000 mg of metformin. Ever since I started exercising regularly (3 years) I have had regular periods. And I hadn't had those in 14 years! So the doctors are right when they tell you that exercise helps.

As you all know, losing weight with PCOS or insulin resistance is more difficult than someone without these diseases. I had seen the ad on tv for those Full-Bars. They are expensive! So I was googling info about them and that's how I stumbled on this site. Someone said that she was taking psyllium seed husks in water to help her feel full. But I found that Metamucil makes a product with psyllium fiber in it. So I bought the orange flavored smooth sugar free. And surprisingly, it tastes fine. Reminds me of Tang (I may be dating myself by that reference Today is the first day I've tried it in an effort to curb my appetite. I learned that you must drink it right away b/c it pretty quickly turns into a thick gel. Which was kind of good to see b/c you can see how it will expand in the stomach. Is anyone else trying this or have they tried it? I'll let you know how it goes.

Hope everyone has a good day, we have 13" of snow here in Indianapolis!
coffetlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For me,

I eat whole foods which help me stay full because they have lots of fiber. Are you counting calories? Are you exercising?

I used to take fiber supplements such as metamucil/psyllium husk but I got rid of them because I already get plenty of fiber in my normal diet.

Volumetrics is something as well that is based on eating foods that keep you satisfied.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #3  

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do exercise 4-5 days per week. I feel that I eat a good diet, good combo of fruits/veg and protein. I try to have protein for breakfast to carry me through. I just feel that I have been struggling lately with feeling hungry.
coffetlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #4  
Determined to lose!

Coffe, I too steered away from carbs... but recently I borrowed a book "The Insulin Resistance Diet" from the local library and have been reading that. I'm SO glad I did because it goes into the carbs and how our bodies NEED them! It does encourage us to lower our intake of carbs (if you are a no carber now you'll be increasing them)... but when you have carb you have to balance with a protein. By linking with a protein the way the body absorbs the carbs is slowed down, and helps to lose weight.

Even if you continue to do whatever diet you are on, I highly recommend reading it to gain some knowledge. I know I've been full since starting the link and balance method outlined in the diet!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

i need to add metamucil or citrucel to my diet because the met has been exacerbating some unpleasant ibs issues. apparently fiber is supposed to help. do you know the diff b/w metamucil and citrucel? is one better than the other?
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote