PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

Lightbulb PCOS and My Awakening

Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and let me start by saying that I am so thankful that I found it.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and Borderline Diabetes. My Dr put me on Metformin and told me to lose 60 pounds by my next appt. My next appt. was scheduled 3 months later. I found that completely ridiculous and decided I will do what I can to lose what I could by my next appt. Well, my next appt. never happened. I lost my job, thus stopping my insurance.

I went to a primary physician who gave me a prescription for the next year of Metformin.
I don't know what was wrong with me but I for some reason was not taking this seriously at all. all the while I would sit and wonder why Im so tired and never feeling well.

I don't know what happened but my eyes slammed open. Either that or Im just tired of being tired.

I have committed myself to taking my medicine regularly and started eating right, portioning myself, and exercising.

I do not know why I blinded myself to the fact that I have both PCOS and Borderline Diabetes.

Has that happened to anyone else?

I really hope to make new and positive friends while I am here.

Angela

Last edited by Inkabetty; 09-20-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

Hey,

I can relate to what you are saying. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 4-5 years ago, also insulin resistance. I started to see a doctor but then same as you, lost my insurance and decided to ignore my condition.

I recently took my schools insurance and talked to the doctor there about my health history and she had all of my medical records sent over from the doctor I was previously seeing and she put me back on the metformin. I have been back on it for a week and have been more careful about what I eat.

I feel like I totally had an awaking, which is why I am back on the meds and including diet and exercise more often into my life.

So, congrats on your awakening and I hope everything goes well for you!
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #3  

Hi Raye:

Im really glad I found this site so I have people that I can talk to about this and know what I am going through.

HAve you noticed any difference from taking the metformin then not taking it?

Last edited by Inkabetty; 09-20-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

Yes I have...in a good way and a bad way. The good way is I'm not craving food as much and have lost 3.5 pounds since I started it last Thursday. The bad thing is that if I'm not careful with what I eat or how much I eat I feel sick to my stomach.

But the side effects and icky feeling are only suppose to last a few weeks, so I'm going to stick it out!

I only discovered this site a few days ago to. I'm really glad I found it. It easier to talk to people who know what you're going through and can give you tips vs your skinny best friend who just tells you to "eat less."
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #5  

I totally agree on that. I tell people "Im not stupid, I know that eat less, move more, would work" but it's easier said than done.

Right now Im taking this in stages. Im cutting back on diet soda and gaining better portion control, then once I have that done I will move to the next obstacle. I know that for me, I need to take baby steps at a time to reach my ultimate goal.

I hope your week goes well
Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 329/311/not 329

Height: 5'6"

If you continue having GI issues on the metformin... consider asking your doc to switch you to the ER version.. extended release. You take them all at once, but it slowly absorbs into your body and had far less side effects (for me, anyway).
BrendaS104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #7  

Thank you Brenda, I will do that