PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 10:43 PM   #16  
WW Moderator

Is this the one processed from white kidney bean extract? Yes, if you have some neutral info on it, I'd like to hear it...always researching this kind of thing. You can PM me if you want. The info I had found wasn't saying it was bad for anybody, it just didn't have very outstanding results, statistically. I hope I didn't offend you!
Old 07-30-2002, 10:24 AM   #17  
banned

not at all

im not even a LP dist. i have 2 buy direct b/c i cant even find a dist & yes thats the 1... each tab blocks 500 cals& i love it b/c i dont have the "bloat" anymore.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:37 PM   #18  

Hi everyone! I have been on a controlled carbohydrate diet since February and have lost 63 lbs. It is the ever ridiculed and disdained Atkins Life Plan. I am IR, my family has a history of diabetes and I don't want to follow in their footsteps!

There are a dozen different Low Carb diets of which the IR one is one of. The Schwartzbein Principle is also for diabetics. Protein Power Carbohydrate Addicts, Neadrathin, the list goes on. They all have different levels of carbs that you can have. They all have different ideas on what fat you should eat and how much protein, but the common theme is less carb, more protein, and more fat. If you didn't lose on the WW and low fat, you didn't fail the diet, it failed you. It is the exact opposite of Low carb.

I found that I didn't lose on ultra low fat next to vegetarian diets, in fact, I gained my weight on these diets. If you take a look at the foods you eat on low fat diets, take a look at the carb content. It's astronomical!

Anyway, my food pyramid is now upside down. It also works for my diabetic friends who have started it, so I would assume that they would work for IR and PCOS sufferers too.

By the way, I did a lot of research on low carb diets and found no evidence that it causes heart problems and kidney failure, in fact, the opposite is true. I don't know how doctors can keep saying that it is bad when research has proven the opposite, but I have defended the Low carb WOL for several months.

Hope you all are able to improve your quality of life with this WOL. Good luck!

P.S. I was going to say about the combining WW and low cab, it probably wont work because WW encourages low fat, less protein and low carb needs less carb, MORE protein and more fat. I think the fat content would be the most in the way. If you find that the low carb WOE works, why try to combine? You probably won't even need it.

Amber

Last edited by ready4it; 07-30-2002 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:05 PM   #19  
banned

congrats amber!

can i ask how you stay regular?
Old 07-31-2002, 04:41 PM   #20  

ROFLOL!! I was never irregular! I don't know if it was the fact that I had a lot of dark green vegetables when I started, or if I am just that way, but I have heard that if you can't keep regular, you can use a fiber supplement. When you count carbs for a Low Carb diet, any fiber gets subtracted from the total carb count, so a high fiber pill might do the trick. I know there are a couple of other ways, but I'd have to look it up.

I'll let you know when I find it!

Hope you have a good 'ole regular day!

Amber
Old 07-31-2002, 08:59 PM   #21  
banned

thanks amber. i do use fiber&veggies& even a little fruit(like 1 serving only)
Old 07-31-2002, 10:03 PM   #22  
WW Moderator

Flax seed oil is good...you can put it in smoothies or drizzle on veggies or eat with salad dressing. It is also very good for your heart and arteries.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:03 PM   #23  
banned

thanks jenn, but i hate flax.... eew! lost 1/2 this week. getting discouraged.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:21 PM   #24  

Hey guys! I just checked out my stash of Constipation Information and found a few more ideas.

First off, try NOT to use laxatives. They're hard on the body and your body gets used to it and then you need MORE.

Psyllium Husks was a big winner. It's by the vitamins and stuff.

Also a big glass of water in the morning. Which brings me to an improtant point. Is everyone drinking at least half of their weight in water??? I thought so......

Another way people have dealt with their, ahem, problem is cabbage, sauerkraut, or brussel sprouts.

I hope something will work for you!

Amber
Old 08-01-2002, 09:05 PM   #25  
banned

thanks amber!

i think i was eating too little.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:07 PM   #26  
WW Moderator

Thanks for the info, Amber! Is the psyllium in tablet form also?
And thanks for that water reminder! We should have a water club here...the Glucophage people especially need their water!

Andrea, I am not crazy about the flax oil taste, either. Everything we read said a 'mild, nutty flavor'. It was my husband and my joke for a while whenever we tasted anything new or not so great..."oooh, a mild nutty flavor!" I can only drink it in smoothies. I can't tell the difference!
Old 08-02-2002, 02:52 PM   #27  
banned

lmao jenn. what is glucophage?

have a great weekend all!
Old 08-02-2002, 05:52 PM   #28  

Default flaxseed oil

The only way I can down the flaxseed oil is either on salad with a balsalmic vinagrette or I have found that applesauce with frozen blueberries in it disguises it quite well!! Once I tried to take it just plain by the spoonful and I almost vomited it right back up! I'll never try that again!!
Veggie
Old 08-03-2002, 11:06 AM   #29  
banned

eew!
Old 08-05-2002, 10:10 PM   #30  
WW Moderator

Andrea, Glucophage is a medication for diabetes. It is being prescribed pretty widely for insulin resistant patients. Hopefully it will help me use my insulin more effectively, and then lose weight like a normal person!
Closed Thread