PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/247/145

Question Anyone on Yasmin

I have had PCOS "officially" for about a year. I have been on Metformin for a year now without any problems. I actually lost weight (i'm not sure of the exact #) w/o trying very hard. Almost all of my symptoms are under control the last med they are adding is Yasmin, I had to wait due to HBP. My dr. told me it would really help with the remaining symptoms. I have read horror stories on the web about this medication. I am really nervous about starting it. I know there are risks with all bcp, but there is a web site with 3000+ complaints about yasmin.
boogitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #2  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Hi

I can't really help you too much except that I start Yaz on Sunday. I don't think there is a difference between the two meds. My ob/gyn told me I need to check my BP on a regular basis because it might raise it since it is already borderline high. However, she did tell me that it has a diruetic in it so it is the least likely to cause a problem right now.

I think that any birthcontrol or hormone pill is going to have different effects on different people. Ortho-tri gave me a lot of problems when I tried it before but a friend of mine has had a great experience on it.

Hopefully this will be a good pill for you!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #3  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Default I've used Yasmin for years

...and I really like it. It helps 99% with my PMS symptoms, including the migraines I'd get like clockwork. I've never had any side effects with it. I think that irisheyes had it right; each person reacts differently.

If you have HBP, though, you should probably keep an eye on it and really monitor how you feel on the pills. But your doc should tell you all of this too.

I have PCOS, and Yasmin is the best BCP I've taken to deal with it.

Lynn
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I take Yasmin and i am fine on it. I actually find that i gain less water weight during TOM on it because of the diuretic. No bad side effects on it at all. Just know your body and keep an eye on BP just in case.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was on Yasmin before and I was fine with it. I'm on another BCP now though because my health insurance doesn't cover Yasmin.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #6  

I've been on Yasmin now for about 3 years and I have had no problems with it except for the price it tends to be a little pricey.
kornard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247/247/145

Thank you, I have read so many horror stories on the web. My BP is perfect. I have been on medication for a year. The Dr. made me wait until it was under control before I started.
boogitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/330/230

Height: 5'2"

I've been on Yasmin for a while due to not having a period for about 6 months, then having a light period for about 3 months straight(the doctor I had was a man and said it was all because I was overweight and if I lost weight it would go away. hah...)... It makes things so much easier. My periods are perfect with it, and everyone can tell I'm in such a better mood lol.
krissytjnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/270/145

Height: 5'5

I was on yasmin for a year and I noticed that I had more cramps than before and I would get really moody (more so than usual ). However, it wasn't anything that I couldn't deal with; the people around me probably had more problems though. lol. The doctor switched me to yaz and I just started it yesterday so I don't know if it will make a difference yet. Good Luck!
Laylak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #10  

The only way to find out is to give it a try.

I gained 50lbs on tri-phasil during my late teens, the experience made me paranoid about taking BCPs and I refused to take any more despite the fact that my monthly bleeding was so heavy (and painful) that I was perpetually anemic.

It wasn't until a few years ago that my new OBGYN recommended yasmin, I was so tired of the pain and the bleeding that I gave it a shot. While everyone reacts differently, I took very well to Yasmin. My periods are almost non-existent, and my cramps (which used to be cripplingly painful) are now bearable most of the time. So in my case yasmin meant a huge improvement over my health and quality of life and it didn't cause me any weight gain.

Try it for a few months, see how you feel after your body gets used to the pill. If it doesn't work well, try something else until you find the right one. Don't listen to what every website says. I don't doubt that some people have had a negative experience with yasmin but there are just as many (if not more) who have benefited from it. This is true for just about every single medication out there, so never rely on the experiences of others to guage which med is best for you. You'll just have to try it and see what happens.
subcriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/189.3/155

Height: 5'4

I have been on Yasmin for almost 3 months and so far so good. I had been on Alesse 28 for close to 10 years and had noticed that my periods were getting light. I went from 4 day regular periods to 1 1/2 days of light spotting. It scared me somewhat. So when the doc put me on Yasmin I had not complaints or side effects. Periods are still light but I think that may have something to do with my insulin resistance.
amyia1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #12  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

I am not an Yasmine, but have been taking Yaz for about 6 months and also on Lisipronil for HBP. My doctor told me that the Yaz shouldn't affect my BP, but I do have to go in every 3 months and have blood drawn to check my potassium levels checked.

As for side affect...none that I have really noticed. No signifigant weight gains other than ones that were my own doing. I have noticied that I don't feel as irritable as I used to those few days a month. I have been fairly satisfied with it.

Good luck to you.
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/?/130

Height: 5'4

I have been taking Yasmin since it first came out a few years ago (I think), and have taken all kinds of other bcps in the past--Yasmin has been the best for me in terms of side effects, etc. I definitely think it is worth trying--I agree with the other posts that meds affect different people differently. Good luck to you!
reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #14  
KrisKow8

S/C/G: 302/264/150

Height: 5'6"

I have been on Yasmin for about 6 years now. It did wonders for me. It got me regular and took away the cramps. It also helped with the excess hair growth. Just recently the hair growth has come back and I am starting a new medication (Spironolactone) for the hair gowth. I am overweight and always have been but the BC did not cause me to gain or lose weight.
KrisKow8 is offline   Reply With Quote