PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #1  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Default Weight Loss w/PCOS and/or IR---JULY!

Oh my! It is July! This year is officially half over and hopefully it has been a good one for you! If you have PCOS or Insulin resistance and are trying to lose weight, this thread is for you! Come on out and tell us how things are going!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #2  

The scale was nice to me this morning. I hope that it continues that way. If so, I may finally see a weight loss for this year. This week, even with the holiday and my DH's birthday I need to be very careful.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #3  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Congrats on your loss, may it continue into next week!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Hello Everyone.
I've posted on this link before, but only to offer information on IR. I haven't formally introduced myself, so here goes. I am 30 years old, and I was diagnosed with pcos at 18, IR at 22, and Type 2 diabetes at 26. I'm at a bad point in my life right now, and sure could use some help. I am trying to lose weight with a low carb diet since it helps control IR and mood swings etc. I did really well for a couple of weeks, even was able to come off my needles and be taking just my metformin. Of course, life intervenes, and now I am back up some weight and off my low carb plan. I'm getting back on today though. It's a fresh start for me. I'm not going to intimidate myself by aiming for my ultimate goal. I have a little goal for the next month and a half. I can do any diet for 45 days, right?
Anyways, that's me in a nutshell (a very large nutshell, for a very large nut!) Hope everyone is doing well.
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Hi Laura, nice to meet you!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Hello Jennifer. I actually have tried WATP once, the beginners one I believe. 20 minutes or so? Which went nicely until I stepped on a few toes and knocked the little one over.lol. I think naptime would be perfect for me as far as working out. However, the room he sleeps in, is the same room that I have to workout in...and it has A/C. Would A/C affect the effectiveness of the workout? I have tried lowering it, however, its super humid here. Also, I did buy a jogging stroller, and my son refuses to sit in it, he'd much rather push it. So the $100 stroller is sitting outback
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

A/C doesn't affect much - you might burn a few more calories trying to keep your core temperature down if you are in a warm and humid room, but if you have a fan or A/C on, you can probably last longer, and in the long run, burn more calories. Whatever you can handle and whatever makes it possible for you to get in any exercise at all is probably best. You can always work yourself up. I've had a pedestal fan in front of my treadmill for years. Just makes it more pleasant, and keeps me on there a lot longer!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #8  

***Can I join you all??*** I just found this website (or I guess 're-found' would be a better word because it seems I joined last year! lol) Anyhow, I tried WW a year and a half ago and it took me 10 weeks to lose six lbs so I quit. But I'm ready to try again. I'll admit I wasn't as faithful or stringent as I needed to be.

I've been dx'd with PCOS for 15 years now and was dx'd IR last summer. Currently, I'm taking Apple Cider Vinegar and Cinnamon capsules for the IR, even though the dr prescribed Met (Glucophage). I found I couldn't eat fresh vege's on the meds and thought that was just crazy. So, I'm trying it my way, without the meds, till my labs are re-run in August.

I would love to know if anyone of you have any tips for getting started. I'll begin tomorrow and I need to arm myself with a good grocery list!

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions!
IFBPreachersWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/338/199

Height: 5'5"

Default Karen!!!

We keep finding each other, don't we??? Do you have internet at home now? If so, shoot me an email...my address is still the same: my name @ my first and last name dot com.

How ya like my ticker and stats? Never in a zillion years did I think I'd weigh this much. PCOS and old age don't mix!

Anyhow, I have lots to tell you and would love to catch up. I miss you!
mamamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #10  

Hunie: You probably have already tried it but have you told him what great adventures you will go on if he sits in the stroller? I hope that you can figure out a solution soon.

IFB: Welcome! How is does your body seem to be reacting to the cinnamon and apple cider vinegar? Do you notice a difference in how your body handles carbs? My best suggestion for a shopping list is make as many nonprocessed food choices as your schedule allows for and stay away from "white" carbs. I had problems on Metformin also but so far taking the combo pill of actos+met seems to be better unless I really overdo on carbs.

Mamamuse: Welcome! I know that you were just posting to an old friend but I hope that you will decide to join in.

Jennifer Glad to see you back posting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh... well last week's scale dip didn't stick and I was back up this week. I am working on a new exercise goal so I hope that will help along with diligently taking my meds and limiting my carbs. Bread and crackers keep sneaking back into my diet no matter how hard I try to be rid of them.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #11  
CarolinaGirl

S/C/G: 252/252/150

Height: 5'3"

Smile Hello!!!

Hello Everyone! I am new here so be patient with me. I ran across this site while looking at different diets on the web. I am 30 years old and have been diagnosed with PCOS now for about 5 or 6 yrs. I am also insulin resistant and
and prediabetic. I do not want my health to keep going down hill. I have got to improve it. The fact is I don't eat a lot, but I don't exercise either. I am a caffeine addict...Coke and Sweet Tea are two of my favorite things in this world. My family would be supportive of me, but I'm not sure of where to start. I took Metformin about a year ago, but couldn't see big results and I just quit. I hate taking pills!
We have 1 child but I really want another so bad...I don't want him to grow up alone. However, I'm 30 already so I don't want to wait too long. I have not used any type of birth control in about 6 yrs. but we still haven't been able to have another baby...I know in my heart that God will bless me when the time is right.
I'm just not sure what road to take first. I think I need to try to lose some weight and get my health better first. Any advice would be so helpful!
PraisenGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Hello PraisenGod!! Welcome!! I too am prediabetic, and no longer wish to stay this way.
----------------------------

As for exercise for me....I got to the gym yesterday and was bummed on how I could only do 15minutes on the bike..I felt like a failure...But I guess some is better than none aye?

One more question....is it "outrageous" for one to go to the gym at 4:30am? I have spoken to a few (seemingly unsupportive) people and they find this "outrageous" I also will have a hard time forcing myself out of bed, but if this idea is not crazy, im sure it'll be worth it, right? anyone else workout at odd times of the day? exercise is exercise....right?
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #13  
saskmommy

S/C/G: 149.8/146.8/125

Height: 5'1"

huniebunie - exercise is exercise. If 4:30 am works for you then all the power to you. You find time for you and make it work. I used to go work out at 6 am before work. Know I am a stay at home mom and I manage to work out while my son is sleeping. Have you tried doing some exercises outside while your son is sleeping? I know the heat is a killer some days but anything is better than nothing.

Has anyone ever taken Avandia instead of Metformin. I tried the Met and it made me very ill. I was nauseous and dizzy, I could not function. But with the Avandia I have no side effects what so ever. I haven't noticed a huge weight loss but I only have about 20 lbs or so to get to a stable weight so it seems a bit harder to get to. I am also a huge carb junkie and some times I have a really hard time with that.
saskmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #14  
CarolinaGirl

S/C/G: 252/252/150

Height: 5'3"

HunieBunie: Thanks for your reply. Some exercise is definitely better than none. You should do what you can. Don't get discouraged. Also, it does not matter when you exercise just as long as you exercise. Different people are more energetic at different times. I am a night time person. I tend to feel better and more energetic in the late evening and night time hours. I say just keep going for your goal!!!
PraisenGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #15  

Hi all I've posted on this section before but I don't think this thread. I was just diagnosed in Feb and I'm having a horrible time finding a diet I can stick to my appetite is out of control I'm on Metformin Er and tried byetta but my insurance didn't cover it. Any tips for helping appetite control? What diet are you all sticking to? Thanks for any help. I'm starting to get depressed because I'm having so many problems with getting the weight off.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote