PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #1  

Default Pcos with a ?

Went to the endocrinologist today have had symptoms of thyroid I thought for years and nothing shows in blood work. She says she's sure I have pcos and ordered several blood tests. And said she would be able to treat me with diabetes medication when I go back in two weeks. I had a question though by blood sugar actually runs low don't people who have pcos have high blood sugar? My sister in law has pcos and now has diabetes. She also said I should do South beach diet.
Thanks for any help. I'm kinda confused right now. Glad that maybe they have finally figured out what is wrong with me. Yet scared at the same time.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I have pcos and i have high insulin, NOT high sugar. That is prediabetes. The high sugar kicks in when you officially have diabetes. With high insulin, that shows your body is working extra hard to keep the sugar down...if you dont make a change, your insulin will lose that battle and sugar will win. When sugar wins, everybody else loses. I am so scared of diabetes (working for kidney doctors will do that to you). But as long as you get on meds for prediabetes you will give your insulin a rest. I look at it like this, insulin and sugar are constantly battling. When you take diabetes meds, you give the insulin some ammunition.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There are also people with PCOS who don't have high insulin or high blood sugar. Some cases of PCOS, though certainly not the majority, aren't tied to diabetes or pre-diabetes at all (i had ultrasound-confirmed cysts on my ovaries, yet all of my diabetes/prediabetes tests came back normal)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #4  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I have PCOS, but I don't have any insulin issues. I'm sure they could develop in time, perhaps?

She may have tested your FSH, LH, cholesterol, testosterone and blood sugar levels, among some other things - but those are the most popular.

You'll likely be on Glucaphage (or Metformin, which is the generic). Do some reading on it, it works very well for some, but for others it doesn't. There are side effects with it, and it does work best with a lower carb diet. SBD is a great diet for those with PCOS, particularly if you're going on Met.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:52 AM   #5  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

Sometimes people don't have any DM problems.

Consider yourself lucky!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote