Pesticides & PCOS

• Data released in January by the Centers for Disease Control shows alarming levels of pesticide contamination in North America, according to U.S. environmental groups. A study by the Pesticide Action Network North America shows the average American has 13 pesticides in his or her body, some at levels well above health thresholds set by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

CDC researchers tested the blood and urine of more than 9,000 people for levels of 23 pesticides, and found that 100% of the subjects carried detectable levels of contamination. Levels for two products, chlorpyrifos and methyl parathios, exceeded the safety thresholds dramatically.

Why should you care?

An increasing body of evidence suggests that man-made chemicals released into the environment affect the function of endocrine glands or are hormone mimics. For example, environmental contaminant residues have been found in ovarian follicular fluid. Although there is no conclusive "proof" that these chemicals adversely affect your follicular function, common sense suggests they are certainly not conducive to ovarian health and could impair your ability to get pregnant.

Another example is chemical-based estrogen mimics found in the environment, which are called "xenoestrogens". When xenoestrogens get into your body, they compete for hormone binding sites and thus prevent your native hormones from properly doing their job. It's like metabolic "musical chairs" where your own hormones can't find a place to sit because the chemical hormone mimics are occupying the chairs. Xenoestrogens can disrupt the balance between androgens (testosterone) and estrogen, which contributes to reproductive problems.

Environmental chemical pollution may contribute to infertility, endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome, spontaneous abortion, preterm labor, intrauterine growth restriction, and pregnancy-induced hypertension. Therefore it is important that you minimize your exposure to environmental pollution. However, there is no way you can completely escape, since tens of thousands of chemicals are everywhere in your air, water and food.

Is there anything you can do?

Switch to organic produce and organic meats. Purify your drinking water. If you live in an area where there is a lot of air pollution, consider an air filter for your home. There are quite a few good books that tell you how to clean up the environment inside and around your home. Please purchase one of these books and get started on cleaning up your personal environment.

Although PCOS is thought to be mostly genetic in origin, your genes are strongly influenced by your environment. If you clean up your environment and reduce your exposure to chemicals, toxic metals and other contaminants, you will help your genes do the right thing.
  • Thank you, thank you Noodles!!! I've been suspecting this for a while, now I have some more data to go on! I always did seem to feel better eating organic, now I have a clue as to why. Can you give a link to this please? You're wonderful!
  • Yer Welcome, Seek!!

I didn't get it off of a web page so I have no link. I got it in my PCOS email box. I can send you the email if you'd like. Just LMK.
  • Hmm. Maybe my mother isn't so off-base afterall. The whole time I've been officially "diagnosed" with the multitude of endocrine disorders (I currently have the following: Thyroid disorder, Not Otherwise Specified (NOS), Ovarian Dysfunction, Menstrual System Dysfunction, and one other that I'm not recalling), she has been pushing me to tell my primary care doctor and my endocrinologist that as a baby I ingested asbestos due to infected milk and meat. Apparently some cow herds in Michigan were infected, and put down, but not until after the product was sold in Ohio where we lived. I was about 18 months old. In addition, I lived in Lancaster, PA at the time of both the Three Mile Island nuclear incident, the Peach Bottom nuclear incident, and I was in the Ukraine in the Soviet Union less than 24 months following Chernobyl. By all accounts, I should glow in the dark!
    I thought she was, to put it mildly, silly. But, reading this, maybe there is some truth to it: it would certainly explain why my hormones don't seem to work correctly.

• Oh gosh, this is a great article. Thank you Noodles!