Old 10-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #1  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

Default Questions/Opnions!!

I would like to ask how people feel about Christian/Pagans.

I have not met many in my life and people from each side tend to think that it's wrong.

Am I really that wrong?
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:19 AM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

I know some, my sister in law is one. I think that everyone finds what works for them, and that all religions are a road to the same goal. I say do what makes you happy and you will be better for it.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Well if you think about it their are some similarities. "Harm ye none" can basically cover a lot of the 10 commandments IMHOP. I also think that respecting others,yourself and the earth, giving thanks for what you have in life and finding the sacred in the everyday can work for most religions .
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #4  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

If you're flexible about certain tenets of Christianity (for example, thou shalt have no other gods before me, or thou shalt not suffer a witch to live, or really any of the more intolerant bits) then I suppose it could work. I wouldn't say it's wrong, per se, just...unusual.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #5  

Nikai - you have a point there!
Old 10-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #6  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

As someone who cant make up their mind - I can say that Christianity has many facets that similar to Pagan in nature. Psalms vs Spells, Commandments vs Redes, Both worship a male and female (though only Catholics give Mary her due), and the Holy Trinity vs the Power of 3.

So it is definately possible to be a Christian Pagan - if ones Christianity is based only on the ideaologies of Christ and the rest of the book is viewed as metaphoric story telling.

Ironically - I was raised essentially Christian, but due to certain aspects of that faith - as mentioned by Nikaia - I have been shying away from that philosophy for the simple reason that if being Christian means accepting the Bible as fact in its entirety - I cannot in good concious do that. It would be hypocritical of me to say I am Christian when I disagree with so much of the faith/rules/philosophies.

It doesnt stop me from celebrating Christmas and Easter - old habits die hard. And the rest of the family is Christian - mom is Catholic - dad is like me and the brothers are born again. And the basic ideals of sharing, giving gifts, time with family, rebirth and the celebration of spring are all good things to celebrate.

It also makes me the first to jump up and argue against any law proposed that is specifically based on any religious view. I am pretty sure that even if I were a die hard believer of any thing specific, I would still support the separation of church and state - it is the primary principal of our constitution and should NOT be open to interpretation.

OOPS - got on my soap box for a moment. Sorry.
ajandpj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #7  

I think it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, at all. And 'An it harm none' is nothing to do with paganism - merely wicca. Most pagans aren't wiccans.

I think there's plenty in the New Testament that would contradict ANY form of paganism - it's not just the blood and thunder stuff of the Old Testament. What about the misogyny of St Paul? That is totally incompatible with our older, matriarchal religions, or other branches of paganism that balance male and female.

I'm sure JC himself said plenty of things also along the lines of 'I am the (only) son of the (only) god', etc etc. Which leaves no room for the older gods. Also, what of xian tradition? For centuries, over a millenium even, they have equated their sub deity, the devil, with paganism. And the devil isn't confined to the Old Testament - Jesus's 40 days in the desert, right!

As a pagan, I find it offensive that anyone could even come out with the christian-pagan thing. Be one thing or the other but don't merge us with our oppressors - it's like saying you're a **** jew. It's offensive and it's wrong.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #8  

I think you can take certain teachings from any religion and make them your own but I'm not sure if you can fully subscribe to a belief system by blending.

Phoenix does have a point that there would be difficulties reconciling the two belief systems, especially considering their past histories. They both have some things in common but there are also a lot of conflicting things between the two.

I'm not sure that I would be able to do it myself and not be struggling with my beliefs. But that's just me.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:29 AM   #9  

i don't know. paganism doesn't even have to be about any gods does it? I mean, if anything I am an athiest with pagan-like beliefs... which could be just as "impossible" as a pagan christian... i see nothing wrong with bending things to suit your needs - in the end it's all for the same goal right?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #10  

Dunno, lizziness! I'm a pantheist (don't believe in any deities as such), but I still think xianity is wildly against all I believe in!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:27 PM   #11  

heh. isn't that a part of being christian? that you are against everyone but yourselves?

that was rude, i'm sorry. i just have memories of going to a church in high school and my grandparents being so upset because it wasn't THEIR church that I was going to. My grandmother even cried! Man no wonder my mom is nuts. *LOL*

I always say I'm a Pantheist because it's closest to what I believe but I'm not entirely sure if that's right either. Depending on who is asking, I'll either tell them that or atheist. It's just easier to say athiest because people have heard of it and they don't have questions. I'm lazy and don't want to get into it with people.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/196/115

Height: 5'2

Hi there! I just saw this and had to add my two cents! I'm always yapping on pagan forums on the net. I do think that it's fitting to consider yourself a Pagan Christian if you believe in more than one God and are a follower of the teachings of Christ. Once you begin to delve into the sects of Christianity, you begin to limit your beliefs a bit, such as the belief in one God. If you believe in one God, then by definition, you would not be Pagan. Although, to be Pagan you don't necessarily have to believe in Gods in the traditional sense - many Pagans believe in Gods as symbols rather than actual beings, and also there are Pagans who believe that Gods are created through our own belief and are basically energy pools that you can give a personality, power, and connect with...among other ideas! Anyhow, if you're interested, here's a link to one of my favorite web sites on Paganism...though there is lots of discussion pertaining to Wicca...which is one of the most popular Pagan religions right now. There is much mis-information running around, and though she can be a little harsh, this web sites author's take on Wicca/Paganism is in my opinion worth noting. Wicca: For the Rest of Us Good luck, and I say, if you live in a free country, excersise your right to call yourself whatever you like!
BrunetteBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #13  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Paganism and Christianity are total opposites. I would never presume to tell someone what to believe or to follow but it boggles my mind how anyone can possibly try to blend these two faiths. It must take some mental gymnastics to justify it but I think at the end of the day, it's really for people who are just not ready to let go of their Christian past.

I'm not directing this at anyone specifically. This is my opinion and everyone else is equally entitled to their own.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #14  
Coop class of '82

I was raised in a particular Utah religion and after much research, reading, and even seriously considering a Christian/Pagan path I realised that the two really can't mix.

I recently read a very profound (to me) paragraph in the book "Paganism: an introduction to earth-centered religions" that basically states that for Christians, we humans are all considered flawed by nature and we can only be "saved" by following certain beliefs and practices (in my recently deserted religion that includes paying tithing and wearing unusual underwear) which results in salvation. I guess I knew this, but seeing it in print brought it home.

Pagans do not believe that humans are inherently flawed, but are totally capable of making moral and ethical judgements for themselves without following centuries old rules that are questionable at best (the bible is incomplete and has had many changes). Just my opinion of course

I could go on but I think it's best left for another time and/or place.
KimmyKat63 is offline   Reply With Quote