3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Paganchicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/paganchicks-185/)
-   -   Crystal Healing and Reiki. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/paganchicks/76022-crystal-healing-reiki.html)

oh_surfr 02-13-2006 11:19 AM

Crystal Healing and Reiki.

When I first started on my path I did a lot of basic ritual, some candle magic, a little kitchen witchery. Now as I've progressed a bit on this path, I've really been finding myself drawn to crystal healing/magic and Reiki lately, but don't know much about it, what is involved, etc. Any of you out there that could shed some light on these topics would be appreciated. I can't seem to find much on the internet, and I don't know how much I trust that stuff anyway. Anyone have some thoughts or tips?:?:

PhatPhoenix 02-14-2006 07:09 PM

One good book is Judy Hall's 'The Crystal Bible'. Also Simon Lilly's 'Crystal Healing'. For Reiki, my favourite book is Diane Stein's 'Essential Reiki' - I have lots of books but that one alone would do it. Frank Arjava Petter's 'Reiki Fire' is a classic and one I enjoyed a lot, too.

You can use something called a crystal grid for healing. The one I have used in the past is in the shape of the Koad symbol (Ogham - you can prob find it online) and has crystals at various points on it, which you have cleansed and charged.

You can use this for distant healing, placing a pic of who you're healing under a large central crystal and maybe writing down what you want to achieve... (I use 6 small clear quartz and one large one in the centre). There are lots of good books on crystals which will tell you how to go about it. The beauty of a grid (you have to leave it in a place where it won't be disturbed) is it sends out healing constantly.

There are all sorts of ways of cleansing a new crystal - burying them around the time of full moon for 3 days and nights, simply sticking under running water - or leaving them in moonlight, pref waxing. I'm not an adept at it, but have used it on occasion.

To practice Reiki you have to be attuned by a Reiki Master. It's worth shopping around for someone you feel is good. After the attunement you will go through a sort of cleansing process for 21 days - prone to colds, etc as your body and mind detox! There are 3 (sometimes 4) levels with Reiki. The first level attunes you so you can Reiki yourself, friends and family. Later you learn more arcane stuff. Once attuned, you have Reiki for life even if you choose never to use it for 20 years - then want to one day. It will always be there. You may be standing in a shop just thinking about Reiki and feel your hands start to tingle or go warm. At level 2, you start to be able to use Reiki with a bit more power and can do other things with it but basically you will also become much more psychically aware. At level 3, you may become a Master and adept enough to do all sorts of thigns with your Reiki.

Although people think of it as a healing thing it has other uses - you can use it for prosperity, for example. I know a vet nurse who used it at work. It works on anything - animals, plants etc as well as people.

There are diff types of Reiki - the most traditional is Usui. Now there's Celtic Reiki, Karuna, and various other. I've only been practicing Reiki for less than 2 years but of all the things I do I think the reiki journey has been the most powerful.

If you feel drawn to it, look into it some more and see what appeals!

oh_surfr 02-15-2006 12:45 PM

Thanks so much Phoenix! I'll look into those books. I really appreciate the information!

djadecatz 03-18-2006 11:48 PM

If you have pagan bookshops in your area you can sometimes find classes posted there on the bulletin boards. Books can give you the basics of Reiki but you have to have another person initiate you to open the crown chakra for it to work (I have a 2nd degree) the prices vary. The class is a one day thing that you also spend time being instructed on the symbols to use and work with other people so you can "feel" what you are doing and what is being done. I had a friend who gave me a Reiki session and I was so impressed I wanted to learn it myself...definately a well worthwhile experience!

Jadecatz

KimmyKat63 03-19-2006 04:17 AM

Try looking on the bulletin boards at natural food stores, massage schools, places like that too. I saw a class listing once at a Great Harvest bread store. The attunement process is really interesting, and you definately want it to be done by someone you're comfortable with "good vibes", etc.

MariaOfColumbia 04-05-2006 05:31 PM

I've been reading lots of healing books, and the techniques that work best for me are ideas I got from Reiki, Pranic and Kiatsu systems. I haven't ever tried to have a *real* healer teach me, but I've been able to help my family a little with what I've learned.

MagicalLindyHop 08-16-2006 03:22 PM

I am a reiki master and teach and attune others. I feel it works, but it may not be in ways that are instant. I also hold energy healing days at our local UU church and people come and learn, give and get energy to heal what they need.

Feel free to pm me with any direct questions you have. I would love to help you out.

MariaOfColumbia 08-17-2006 11:31 AM

What is the attunement? The books weren't clear- but the thought of someone I didn't know getting that close to me was unacceptable. That's part of why I haven't sought out a Reiki teacher. That, and the fact that I seem to be getting results with my mish-mash eclectic healing system anyway. My shyness level about things like this kind of precludes me from going public, so the only one I'm certain I've helped is myself and my husband. I've tried long distance healing on an internet friend once, but his scepticism made an effective shield, I think.

Reiki doesn't work on those who don't want it to, does it?

PhatPhoenix 09-06-2006 06:50 PM

I was recently empowered ('attuned') to Reiki II, so here's one for me to answer! I've been Reiki-ing for 2 years now.

Maria, there are various hands on healing techniques, but to do Reiki, you have to be attuned or received empowerments from a Reiki Master. Their lineage (who attuned them, and who attuned them, etc etc) has to go in a direct line back to the founder of Reiki, Mikao Usui.

The bottom line is - if you haven't been attuned/empowered/given reiju by a Reiki Master - you are not a Reiki person.

Many other healing traditions may well practice distant healing and hands on healing, like Reiki. Many people who have been trained and even have worked in 'Western' energy healing methods who are then attuned to Reiki, are surprised by how much more powerful Reiki makes their abilities.

Reiki differs from other healing modalities in that in Reiki it is believed we are just the vessels carrying the Reiki - not healers in ourselves. There is no ego in Reiki. The practitioner also receives Reiki, just by giving it. Reiki people don't deplete themselves, or become vulnerable to the illnesses/stresses they are dealing with, as to give Reiki is also to receive it.

Although Reiki came from Buddhism, your religious beliefs, lack of them, and even your belief in whether Reiki works or not - are irrelevant. It doesn't matter what you believe or think - Reiki works for everyone who has been attuned/empowered.

There are generally three levels to Reiki training. At each level, you receive an empowerment from your Reiki Master, which opens you up to increasingly 'stronger' Reiki, or rather, gives you the ability to do Reiki for life. Even if you walked out of an attunement and didn't practice Reiki for 50 years - you are, once and for all, a Reiki person.

At Reiki I, people generally do Reiki on themselves, maybe close friends and family.

At Reiki II, you learn to channel more energy and use it in many other ways. You may also learn that 'healing' is the very least of it - you can use Reiki to manifest abundance in your life, or do many other things. Reiki II is the point at which you become a 'Reiki practitioner'. Many people who Reiki for a living are Reiki II.

Further empowerment/attunement takes you to Reiki III, the Master/Teacher level. That is for those who'd like to be able to attune others, and each them.

During an empowerment/attunement, your Reiki Master will do nothing that is too 'close' to you, and nothing that will embarrass you, or should be of any concern. My Master had no secrecy and said we could either close our eyes or watch her during an empowerment - she didn't mind either way. Other Reiki Masters may be different. It's hard for anyone to be too specific, without breaking some of the traditions that surround Reiki. But if you're really concerned, check out one of Steve Murray's books, on Amazon. They tell you and show you in photos exactly what happens during attunement.

Some people are attuned/empowered one to one. Others, in small groups (I was one of 4). Others, in huge groups where the Reiki Master may walk down the front of the front row of people, and just the back of the back row. The problem with not liking people getting close is that you would have to practice on someone (and be practiced on) during a live course.

You can be distant and not empowered in person. After all, if we believe in distant healing it makes sense that the attunements could work distantly too. I have had distant attunement and it worked - but I must admit I later went and got empowered 'in person' anyway, as I felt that was more meaningful.

MariaOfColumbia 09-14-2006 03:52 PM

Thanks PhatPhoenix!

I don't mean close, physically- I mean close as *in my head*! Once a friend talked me into having a psychic do a reading on us (nearly 20 years ago) and I panicked in the middle and envisioned my head surrounded by an impenetrable shield. The guy stopped talking, looked puzzled and said that's was all he could get.

It seems to me that a Reiki attunement might be even more intimate than that, and I really, really don't like the idea of that. Not here/now and not long distance. :(

I understand about the channeling, because if I don't tap into the universal energy when I try to heal, I can get some unpleasant side effects and that's not fun.

I didn't mean to imply that I do Reiki without being attuned... I just read a book on Reiki (along with other systems) and was able to implement a few ideas I saw there. I understand that no one can do Reiki without being attuned- but there were a few ideas in the book that did make sense to me and do seem to work.