Protein shakes - meal replacement

• So, i have used Wonderslim shakes in the past to wonderful effect. I am a **** of a lot poorer after my divorce and th past few years i have gained it all back and some more.

But it was the only thing that seemed to work, was a 100% liquid diet, then including a lean and green about a month later.

I did some research tonight. I know that protein shakes are NOT meal replacements, because they lack the nutrients and vitamins that real replacements have.

I looked at the backs of the wonderslim box and my optimum nutrition jar, and realized that if I took a good multivitamin, and made the shake with milk, maybe chew a TUMS for more calcium, and Omega 3-6-9, I would have all the nutrients per day that I would need. It's just not doled out in 20% increments through out the day.

I can't afford no $800 for 12 weeks...but I can go to Costco and buy a 5lb jar of protein powder and keep taking my vitamins.

I think either way, i would be getting better nutrition that my McDonalds lifestyle has given me.
  • You might want to check out "The Simple Diet" (I literally checked the book out from the library, but only after I browsed through it at a bookstore and had been on the diet for several weeks, after reading about it here on 3FC in the "Dr. Anderson's Simple Diet" thread).

Now, there is no all-liquid phase. Nor is there a "lean and green" per se in the main phase of the diet. However, you can make a "lean and green" to fit the entree guidelines, but you do not have to.

The plan is modeled calorically and nutritionally after HMR (Health Management Resources), which has been (and I believe still is) THE program most used by hospitals and medical schools for in-patient and clinic based weight loss and weight loss research.

Dr. Anderson, the primary author of the book (cowritten by registered dietitian, Nancy Gustafson) is not only a weight loss researcher, but a user of the diet as well.

He explains in the book, that the addition of fresh fruits and vegetables and "entrees" was found to be as or more effective as the shake-only version of the plan. Likewise, they found that those who ate the most veggies lost the most weight, though the lower calorie freggies are recommended (If you feel you need to start with shakes alone, that's certainly an option, just not "by the book" so to speak).

In a nutshell, the plan can be explained in one sentence and a food guideline chart, but I've found the book EXTREMELY helpful and motivating (I bought it through Kindle, so I have it handy on my Nook, Android tablet).

The plan:

3 shakes (or equivalent) + 2 entrees (or equivalent) + 5 or more servings of whole fruits and vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned, but no juices or dried fruit, prepared with no added fat, sugar, or starch).

Bars can be used in a pinch, but generally shouldn't exceed 7 per week (because they're not as filling, nor as nutritious as the other meals and meal replacement choices).

Calorie, fat, and protein guidelines are given for the meal replacements, which you can buy anywhere (or make yourself if you have the time, patience, and math skills).

The guidelines, of course, are in the book, but you can also find them in the "Dr. Anderson's Simple Diet" thread here on 3FC (somewhere in the first few pages, If memory serves). I will also post the guidelines in this thread when I get a chance.
  • The guidelines:

3 shakes + 2 entrees + 5 freggie servings

Shakes 100-200 calories, 10-26g protein, less than 6g fat
    Entrees 140-300 calories, 10-25g protein, less than 9g fat
    Soups 100-200 calories, 10-20g protein, less than 6g fat
    Bars 100-200 calories, 6-20g protein, less than 5g fat

Theses are the plan minimums. If you're still hungry after meeting your minimums, you can add more fruit and vegetables. If you get desperate adding another shake or even entree is seen as preferable to eating anything off plan.

You can use soups (and bars in emergencies) in place of shakes. The difficulty with bars and soups is finding choices with sufficient protein.

You can make your own shakes (some recipes are included in the book) and while the book doesn't really talk about making your own soups, bars, and entrees, some of us do (though if you choose do that, you need to take care that the guidelines are met, but not exceeded).

This is where the lean and green can come in (if you're careful to inure that your lean fits the entee guidelines).

For example, about 6-8 oz of skinless, steamed, baked, broiled, poached, lean seafood or white meat chicken/turkey will fit within the entree guidelines (add some of your freggies and you have your lean and green).

I collect cookbooks, so I went through those of mine with nutritional information and marked the recipes that fit entree and soup guidelines (I used little stickers from the dollar store). I have a smoothie book also, and marked those that fit the shake guidelines.

To make my shakes, I buy unflavored, "undenatured" whey protein isolate (also called by other names such as microfiltered, cold filtered, cold processed).

Cold process whey protein isolate, compared to other whey proteins, has a milder flavor and dissolves much more easily in warm to cold liquids (too hot and it will start to denature or clump. Which is fine nutritionally, but texture-wise it's a bit off-putting).

The nice thing about unflavored is that it can also be added to soups (after cooking, right before eating. I let the soup cool to eating temp before adding). Half a scoop stirred into canned tomato soup fits into shake or entree guidelines (as long as you pick a soup under 150 calories with fat content that fits into the appropriate guidelines).

I think I may have overloaded you with information, but when I like a plan, I get a bit overly enthusiastic.
  • Howdy! I am new here but will jump right in!

I am using Almased, it is ava at a decent price on Amazon and if you follow the directions for a serving (for me: 5' 6" & Under: 5-6 LEVEL tbls) it should last you 8-14 days... I have read where some say it only last 4 or 5 and I don't think they are measuring correctly. Mine, at 3 shakes a day last aprox 10-12 days.

I tried it for week before the holidays (lost 6 pounds) and after doing some research found a recipe that I really like. You just have to be a little creative. I went off it over the holiday (and did gain back the 6 plus 2! But I really did eat a lot... and it was good!) and started back with full commitment Monday.

I am planning to go 2 weeks and then see how I feel.
    I mix it with Almond Milk, fruit, some fiber and just a little diet ginger ale which makes it very tasty. IMO, for me to stay committed for the long haul, it has to taste good! I also make a very low carb peanut butter cookie, which I have twice a day instead of adding oil to my smoothie... I lost 2.8 pounds the first day! I have not weighed myself again yet, but feel the progress.

Here is my daily plan broken down:

3 Almased smoothies a day (made with almond milk (chocolate or vanilla and yes, sweetened!), diet ginger ale, frozen fruit & fiber supplement)
    2 peanut butter low carb cookies or 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
    1 bowl egg drop soup (made with broth and 1 egg)
    1-2 cup(s) coffee
    As much tea & water as I want
    1 dark chocolate candy if desired before bed

After the first two weeks, I plan to add in couple of light meals a week, 1 of those will replace a smoothie. I am keeping this open for now... I feel great but I work from home and have kept all my activities minimal so far.

I feel like this is a very livable plan and I really like it so far. As a food addict I think it is just easier to sometimes minimize your choices.

I do think any protein powder would probably work, I like Alamsed cause it is mostly natural and I don't think it really has any taste. So you can flavor it how you like. Some mix it as is with just water and I hear that it taste terrible... this should not be torture!

I only use about 4 ounces of the diet soda to about 6 of Almond Milk. So basically that is equal to 1 can of diet soda a day. I know a lot of people are anti diet sodas & artificial sweeteners, I am not one of them. I have cut out all other diet soda but do use artificial sweeteners in my tea and coffee. For me, it is fine, I am giving up food for the most part, that is enough imo.

The cookie by the way is very easy (hope it is ok to add recipes) I mix 1 cup peanut butter (you could also use cashew, almond...)
    1/2 cup truvia baking blend sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla. Mix all together and then spoon onto cookie sheet (I always get exactly 12 cookies) and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Must let cool completely before serving. Notice no flour!
  • I just wanted to report I am down 6 lbs since Monday and have not been hungry at all! Love it!